“Loved Lumba Lumba”
Review of Lumbalumba Diving

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Manado
Lumbalumba Diving
Reviewed 25 September 2010

We spent a week at Lumba Lumba, and loved it. The resort is absolutely beautifully tropical, the villas are pretty and spacious, and the infinity pool is to die for. We shall never forget the personal care and attention from each and every one of the local staff members (with owners Roel and Juud who completely devised and built Lumba Lumba), nor the excellent meals. Diving in Bunaken was pretty and relaxing, especially for the colorful walls and exciting 'small stuff'. Absolutely recommend this resort, a perfect relaxing divers' getaway.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MerelV

Reviewed 5 September 2010

I am just back from my third trip to Lumbalumba diving and during my first day back at work I was already planning in my head when I can go back again!
Once again Roel the Dutch owner picked us up from the airport and we drove away from busy Manado towards the quiet and beautiful dive resort. We settled into our cottage and I sat on the verandah looking out over my favourite view in the whole world...it's the view that I think about on a cold day in the UK!!
The next day we ate delicious breakfast and then it was onto the dive boat to meet up with the experienced and friendly dive guides. If you like big stuff...sharks and turtles, then this is the place for you. If you like small stuff...pygmy seahorse, frogfish, leaf fish, then this is the place for you!!
The dive guides are what make this place. They are friendly, helpful and even though they might have been to this dive site hundreds of times they still get excited with you as the beautiful turtle swims past.
After a day of diving it's time to relax and sample the home cooked food. With a head full of diving and what tomorrow might bring and a stomach full of tasty food it's time for bed. If you don't want to dive every day there is a beautiful pool to swim in and there are plenty of land tours to go on. Personally I like to dive every day as you never know what you might see next!
I only have one bad thing to say about this place...once you have been it is very hard to go back to your normal life and boring job and you may well find yourself needing to go back again and again.....

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank wonderwend
Reviewed 23 August 2010

Fed up with mass-market dive resorts? Here is the antidote. This unique small dive resort combines wonderful personal service with a most attractive setting and to top it all, a dive operation providing the highest level of service you are likely to find anywhere. The resident owners, Roel and Juud Dikkers (a Dutch couple) built the resort seven or eight years ago a few miles outside Manado city, and still manage it with care and attention to detail. The setting is like a mini botanical garden with lovely tropical flowers, orchids etc. (Juud's passion for gardening shows). This was my second visit after a gap of 5 years, the resort has expanded a little and now has a lovely infinity pool to complement the seven rooms. The rooms are spacious, all necessary amenities including aircon, ceiling fan, safe, fridge, endless free drinking water, coffee/tea making, hot showers, a balcony (nearly all have full seaview) with hammock, and, (best of all) no TVs to blare and disturb the relaxed feel. The evening meal is taken as a buffet, everyone eats together, and the food is superb, locally inspired dishes, all fresh foods: many main dishes containing barbequed ingredients. I particularly liked the soups conjured up by the two chefs, the fish soup with lemongras and coconut milk was my favourite, also crab and asparagus.... The bar serves beer and soft drinks. The staff are an absolute delight, all incredibly helpful, smiling and friendly, and will know you by name thoughout your stay. As others have said, it is just like visiting a big happy family as an honoured guest. Evenings are quiet, the entertainment revloves around good conversation with your fellow guests. Or a good book.

The diving in Manado is world class, a good mix of small and big stuff. I saw the largest turtle I have ever seen in 20 years of diving (its shell as big as a large dining table) and the hugest barracuda. Plus seahorses, lots of nudibranchs etc. etc. The dive boat goes out daily for two dives. The guides are led by Maxi and Maria, a married couple who are the most senior of the guides and help with the dive centre management. Dive groups are always small, never more than four divers to a guide on my trip. Several times my group consisted of just me and the dive guide (I did not have a regular buddy with me). The boat crew and guides look after your kit from the beginning of your stay to the end, setting up your gear, fetching and carrying, and washing your gear at the end of each day. You have nothing to do when you arrive at the dive boat in the morning except to bring your book to read, your suntan cream, your dive computer and, if you have one, your camera. Water and towels are on the boat plus your lunch. Two dives and then back to the resort, where you can do a night dive if you want on the house reef or a dive at dusk to see resident Mandarin fish on the house reef.

A lovely way to spend a dive holiday, quiet - the diving is the thing, all the essentials in place, no unnecessary expensive extras. And quite superb friendly service. Travelling to Manado is easy from Singapore, direct flights several times a week at convenient times - the dive centre staff will meet you at the airport and take you to the dive centre.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
6  Thank AndrewS60
Reviewed 5 August 2010

Beautiful place, very nice people, excellent food, very comfortable boat !

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank katapult
Reviewed 29 July 2010

... 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009. And hopefully 2011! And a few more times!
Just because there is no better place to stay & no nicer guides to dive with & no more attentive staff to take care of the guests.
Katja & Björn

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Katja66
Reviewed 8 May 2010

I stayed at LumbaLumba for a week and it was really superb. I travelled by myself and had a great and relaxing time! The quality of the divingschool and the resort is absolutely very outstanding! The place with only four rooms and a big familyhouse are surrounded by a beautiful and very big garden. This completed with a magnificent pool and the stunning view from the rooms and the restaurant (with great food every nght!), make this resort a place to come back to. The diving was also high quality. Divemasters who really now the marine live. Everyday out on the boat was fun, relaxing, educational, and totally something you can do for weeks without getting bored.
A marvelous place to stay!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank MCHvE
Reviewed 6 May 2010

Lumbalumba is a small but perfect dive resort with great personal service and excellent facilities. Spacious detached comfortable bungalows set in a magnificent tropical garden, an open bar and restaurant where guests have dinner with the Dutch owners of the resort, enjoying the most delicious asian dishes and specialities, super friendly staff and of course great diving facilities. We went muck diving along the coast where we saw mimick optopusses, seahorses and many other extraordinary sea creatures. The very comfortable boat took us also to Bunaken with its many wall dive, sandy slope and coral garden dive sites. Sometimes we were even accompanied by dolphins and small wales. Not to forget the fantastic mandarin fish we spotted just in front of the peer at dusk! We were even spoiled by the staff who took over the preparing, rinsing and drying of our equipment. Certainly one of the best diving holidays we ever had. We surely won't forget the Sateh prepared for us on the barbeque on the boat by the staff! Thanks very much for the great time we had!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple