“5 Star Hotel in Manado?”

Sintesa Peninsula Hotel
Ranked #4 of 45 Hotels in Manado
Singapore, Singapore
“5 Star Hotel in Manado?”
Reviewed 24 September 2012

I am not sure what criteria are applied in Indonesia when Hotels get star ratings. Is it only hardware, or does it include software as well?

Upon check-in, the Receptionists (4) were more interested in talking amongst themselves instead of attending to the would-be guest (me) who was waiting to check-in.

Although wi-fi was advertised, access was intermittent and in the bedroom signals were really weak.

Having asked for a wake-up call at 6.15 am the night before, I was awakened at 5.15 am, with a computer-enabled follow up 15 minutes later at 5.30 am.

At around 6.30 am I proceeded to the Cafe for breakfast and found all the ingredients and apparatus at the egg station but no chef! I fried the omelette (and have a photograph from my business associate) as proof! So did another guest!

The hardware is up to snuff and all you can ask for, but the software?

Room Tip: The Hotel is located atop a hillock and is relatively isolated from the hustle and bustle of the &qu...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank NJWong

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Very mixed experience staying at the Sintesa Peninsula Hotel. Staff were disinterested and slow - I received consistently poor service, especially from front desk staff. Facilities potentially very good - for example, the fitness centre has brand new equipment, but no air conditioning so unpleasant to work out in high humidity. Room service and food very good, but small portions and slow service. Large rooms and great views of city, but the location is not very convenient - set apart in large grounds up a long driveway - and the staff were again slow and unhelpful in organising taxis. In short, would not stay here again: not deserving of star rating and certainly not off room cost.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank S T
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 22 August 2012

Compare with the price of the hotels around manado, the price are reasonable. After one night @Prince Boulevard, We're chose to move and stay here because located in the downtown, room are large and good view. The kids also love the swiming pool although it just very simple. We don't like the breakfast, not as good as another 5 star.. Need to improvement.

Room Tip: Choose Studio Room Type than standard room, rate a big different.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 2 August 2012

OVERALL STATEMENT: This is probably the best choice for your stay in Manado. The city can be loud, noisy and smoggy - a quiet and cultivated retreat is what you need then as a hotel.

GOOD:
-Excellent rooms.
-Very obliging staff (when we asked for a restaurant hint they immediately offered us to bring us there with the hotel buggy for free - and the restaurant turned out to be very good)
-We stayed two times there (1 night - 2 nights) and both times we got a free room upgrade due to the lack of standard rooms.
- The breakfast buffet is very nice.
- Located on a green hill in the green, outside the city smog (and offering spectacular views) .

BAD:
- The internet could be faster (this could also be a Manado-wide problem).
- Take care with the rolls in the morning: We are vegetarians and it turned out that the roll with chocolate on top in fact had a sausage in it.

Room Tip: "Corner Suite" was a very god choice. We were upgraded by the management.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Being a frequent traveller, and having stayed at a few establishments in Manado – it is unfortunate to say that Sintesa has let me down.

Had we not benefited from a special promotion and paid full price, I would have been even more disappointed. Nonetheless, this hotel rates 5 stars so I was expecting more than what was behind our door on level 9. The website shows wooden flooring but our room had airport style blue carpet which had seen better days. My advice is to not expect what you see on the Internet – although, most travellers already know this.

Pros

Very friendly staff and always willing to help, even with their limited English.
The restaurant and pool areas are well presented.
Hotel room and bathroom is spacious.
The view is lovely, if you can request one with ocean views.
The bed is large and comfortable with a down doona & pillows.
Excellent free Wifi and a good size flat screen TV with plenty of channels.
The breakfast buffet is acceptable but the sausages were stone cold.

Cons
The presentation of our ‘Superior’ room was 3 to 4 stars.
There were marks all over the walls and paint peeling on the skirting boards.
The bathroom tiles were stained in various places (see picture).
Our mini bar was more like a micro bar with 2 energy drinks only (see picture).
There was no bathrobes – per website.
Electrical outlet in bathroom coming out of wall (see picture).
Shower was mould ridden and the tapware? (see pictures).
Glass on desk was dirty with previous occupants handprints.
Some people were on their balcony, but the handles were missing from our door.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not at all a fussy traveller but I believe if you are going to rate your hotel 5 star, then there shouldn’t be so many issues per above.

I believe this hotel has the potential to be a 5 star hotel and I hope this review will assist them with their achievements to provide guests with one of the best hotels that Manado has to offer.

Room Tip: Request ocean view and specify Smoking or Non-Smoking preference.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Dreamsong
Jakarta
Reviewed 19 July 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 3d2n. The hotel looked great, luxurious lobby and it's located up the hill. I had been told that we can actually see the sea from our balcony. According to a colleague who has stayed in this hotel before, he got a discount from the marketing manager which is very tempting. Short story there was a misunderstanding in our reservation, and the person we have booked through was not there and the front liner (Kathleen) was extremely slower. It took us forever and a half to check in, which is not nice after a whole day journey from Jakarta. We had to move from one room to another for 2-3 times, and everything done in the front desk was just slow. The bar attendant was also slow and unthoughtful. Everybody here has lack of English skill even though they tried to be nice. The food in the restaurant were not fresh, so not worth it for the price. I think my colleague and I even got mild food poisoned from grilled salmons we ordered on our second night.

However, the building is kinda new. The swimming pool is big and the view is just marvelous. Such a pity the service is not satisfying. I think the management need to improve the quality of their human resources.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Sanscoulottes
Depok
Reviewed 8 June 2012

From the hotel I could go to the harbour and city easily but when you back from those place to the hotel you must climb to the hill so my suggestion is you must took taxi whenever you want to back to the hotel. Its clean and has a good view to the shore and mountain. Right place for relaxing your body. It has also a clean and warm swimming pool.

Before it became hotel, it was a hospital. Actually before something from the 'other world' gave a greeting to me, I don't believe that place was haunted. It was a late night about 1 am, and suddenly 2 orange light come to my room. The light there not long just 15 sec.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business