“DIY Tip - painting over mold does not make it go away”

Sintesa Peninsula Hotel
Ranked #6 of 45 Hotels in Manado
Reviewed 26 May 2013

On the plus side this hotel has some of the most spacious rooms you would expect for the price. A comfortable, but plain, living area, bedrooms with an open feel and comfortable beds and a large bathroom with his and hers basins shower and bath. You ought to feel as though you have found a hidden gem, but you don't.
Firstly the entire hotel suffers from rising, falling and general purpose damp. Rather than improve the air conditioning the solution appears to have been to paint over the damp in the hopes that nobody will notice. The result is a permanent musty smell and a fear of looking behind curtains for the inevitable black mold - even the carpets have a live patchwork effect.
Secondly the wi-fi (free) has a life of its own. It ranges from super fast (in short bursts) to not at all (for long periods) and it seems that none of the staff can either explain this or fix it.
And finally the bar. Whilst you should accept that Indonesia is predominantly Muslim and should, therefore, not expect a diverse menu of booze there is still no excuse for surving old, way past its prime, wine and flat beer. And again the staff don't seem to care or know what to do about it.
Which brings me to the final disappointing note. The majority of the staff are friendly enough but simply have no clue what they are doing and the moment a problem arrises (often) spend an eternity trying to find someone who does know what they are doing.
This was my first time in Manado so I have no baseline with which to compare in the local context but if I was to compare with Jakarta then I would be very disappointed.
Asthma sufferers should remember to take your inhaler.

Room Tip: The problems seem to be more acute on the upper floors so try and stay below level 5.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 25 May 2013

i stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in10th floor studio room. The room is well decorated, very spacious and clean. The problem only the water in the bathroom quite run very slow n I had a hard time showered.
What I love about this hotel is the spa. great spa and the staff there was very friendly.The swimming pool is also very clean and the chlor level is just perfect because in other hotel I used to have problems with my eyes when the chlor is too much.
But when it comes to the restaurant, I don't think this hotel have a variant choice as any other hotel in Manado especially on breakfast. When I had dinner at Gardenia restaurant 1st floor, the western food is very poor, only Indonesian food is okey. but overall this hotel is one of nicest and cleanest hotel in Manado.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 May 2013

I stayed here for a night due to an event. The room with king size bed was really spacious and comfortable, the TV had LOTS of channels (unlike some hotels who has only local channels), every facility in the room worked perfectly, plus the night view from my window was breathtaking! The bathroom and toilet was squeaky clean with reasonable space. I ordered food from their kitchen and it was mediocre--yet overpriced although the service was really fast. Oh! The hotel is located at the heart of the city, so transportation will be a breeze.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 May 2013

We had a large group of people needing only one night of accommodation as well as round trip transfers to and from Manado's airport.
The Sintesa was a perfect place for us to stay. The rooms were very clean and large, the internet was fast, the transfers seamless, and the Front Office Manager Alex took very good care of us.
There is a fitness room, large pool, 2 spas (book early because they fill up) and large restaurant and bar.
The restaurant staff arranged a private buffet for our group on the 11th floor. We had a great time and enjoyed the views.
We'll definitely stay here again!

Reviewed 27 April 2013

I stay at the suite corner overlooking the ocean. Very nice room, spacious, clean and well decorated. It is located in the central of the city but you need to go inside a little bit climbing to a hill, not recommended if you dont have a car or if you prefer to stay in a hotel just right on the street so you can easily walk around

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 April 2013

We were surely little unlucky in this hotel, but still i have to say, the management is poor. We arrived there at 10:30 and check-in was at 2pm. So the receiptionist told us, the room is not ready yet, but they will inform us as soon as the room is ready. He told us to take a seat in their lobby. So we waited and waited and waited until 2pm. Ok, thats the right of the hotel, but i was little unhappy that they never informed us about the room. At 2pm i asked about the room again and they were still not ready with the room. We were able to access our room arround 2:40pm!

At 4pm a guy from the hotel entered our room with some bagage of an other guest. We were very surprised. He left the room again without saying anything. We called the receipton and asked why someone can enter our door. 30mins later they appologized and told us, that our room was accidentially given to someone else. Ok, the start was unlucky, but it continued like that. Since they mistaken the room, our card was not active anymore. I had to reactivate it 3 times!!! Once i couldn`t enter my room once i couldn`t even access the floor, staying in the lift and so on..

The pool is great, the location and the building, rooms.. Everything is fine, but please try to make progress in your management. You need to invest some money into your staff. Maybe like paying them an english course. Before we left the hotel my buddy and I went to the massage of your hotel. He took the hard Japanese massage and I took a soft one. And you may guess what happened. Yes, they gave us the wrong massage.. Unfortunately they didnt understand me aswell and so i had to take the wrong one..

Reviewed 9 April 2013

I stayed here overnight recently on a return trip to Singapore. The location probably took approx 20 - 30mins from the airport, the hotel staff picked us up from the airport and drove us to the hotel. The hotel was really lovely, my room was fantastic, king size bed, very clean, bathroom had modern fixtures and was quite large. There is access to the internet in the rooms via ethernet or wifi - this was a little intermittent to start (maybe with heavy usage at the time) when i used it later the internet was quite speedy. We had breakfast downstairs in the restaurant, was buffet style and was great!

I didnt use the pool but it did look great!

I also used the Steiner spa that was there on 2nd floor - it was really good. I believe there is also another spa as part of the hotel which does massages etc.

I would definitely stay here again - it was great value for the price!

Room Tip: try and get a non-smoking room (if you dont smoke of course).