“Very Friendly & Moving in the right direction!”

Swiss-Belhotel Maleosan Manado
Ranked #8 of 46 Hotels in Manado
Indonesia
“Very Friendly & Moving in the right direction!”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

My wife and two small children stayed in this hotel for two nights on the way to Bunaken. The rooms are nice and the deluxe had a clean bath. We found the staff attentive and helpful. The average level of English is not high, but then again this is not Bali, yet the people generally are very happy and friendly. The hotel pool is good for laps and the gym was big, clean, but I would have liked to have seen another cross trainer. The restaurant is pretty good, but do not assume that what you think is a dish, is exactly what you will get (think garlic bread, sweet??). Saying that, the chefs and waitresses will try and get you what you want, but while we were there we were pleasantly surprised that the manager and the chefs are actually interested in learning about how to cater for their western guests, which is great and motivates us to come back. I hear it is also the best hotel in Monado, and that is great if they continue to want to learn from their guests. I particularly remember one hostess, (Andreana?) who seemed particularly professional and helpful. The staff seem notably friendly to families with children which is 90% the most important thing. Thanks Swiss-Belhotel Maleosan!

Room Tip: Join the Swiss bel club to get much better rates (we find them really good value for meals and accom...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Thamrin A, IT & E-commerce Manager at Swiss-Belhotel Maleosan Manado, responded to this review, 25 December 2013
Dear Morenos,

Warmest Greetings from Swiss-Belhotel Maleosan Manado...

On behalf of the team, i would like to express our gratitude to have you stayed in our property. it is very kind of you to highlighting our product and service with such a positive comment, we really appreciate it. for your information we already train our staff to increasing their language skill, product knowledge, and service excellent to meet the guest expectation. Much appreciate as well for recognizing one of our staff, we are really working hard to make our guests feel like home when staying at our property because you are our priority.

Once again, thank you very much for your time in Tripadvisor. we looking forward to welcoming you back in Manado. Have a great day !.

Regards,
Thamrin Ase

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Indonesian first
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We stayed here during a classic car touring event for two nights. The beds were nice and clean, although we did ask for a single bed but since the hotel was full, we got twin beds instead. It was a smoking room, a bit smelly but not too strong. Breakfast didn't look too appetizing so we skip it. The massage service was pricey but excellent.

I would recommend you NOT to buy any cakes from the cakeshop. I bought a red velvet cake that looked delicious but was as hard as stone and when I took a bite, instead of cream cheese they used white butter and it was going stale already. The cake was dry and hard and the only thing I could eat from the cake was the cherry on top. My husband finished his klappertaart but just because he was too hungry to complain. He did say that it wasn't as tasty as it looked. I was dissapointed but I didn't go down to the cakeshop to complain as it was already quite late and I was tired.

I would say that the receptionists and the waiters were rather spacey dan seemed to work in slo-mo mode. It took the girl in the cakeshop almost twenty minutes to ring up my purchase when there was only another customer in the cakeshop. There was only one receptionist while there were four guests wanting to check in. I have to agree that the bellboys and security people were the only ones "alive" in this hotel. The others seemed to be somewhat dazed.

All in all, a nice place for you if you need only a nice, clean bed to sleep and central location. Don't expect more

Room Tip: Ask for rooms above 10th floor for magnificent view of the mountain
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thamrin A, IT & E-commerce Manager at Swiss-Belhotel Maleosan Manado, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear MrsQueen,

Warmest Greetings from Manado...

On behalf of the team, i would like to express our gratitude to have you stayed in our property. we do apologize for any inconvenience that you may experience during the stay. for your information, we have improved the quality of our product and give proper training to our staff to meet the guest expectation. we found that your review was very important to our improvement in the future. Thank you very much for your time in Tripadvisor reviewing us. we hope that you will choose our property for your next event in Manado.Have a pleasant day..!

Best Regards,
Yogyakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We have stay in this hotel for 6 nights.
we came in the afternoon after our flight from Makassar.
The staff male reseptionist was nice person helping us for our check-in process and good comunication with us . We get room with a nice view.
For facilities in our room is old fashion also the bathroom for shower and others.
Theirs breakfast menu was nice but be for Indonesian food menu only and minimal selection of western breakfast menu.
We had nice experience to have breakfast here.
but unfortunately only few waitresses are friendly and care for guests and we have some waitresses were friendly and very helpful to us.
but it is strange there is a staff with a short skirt that looks like she was a supervisor I think, she was not friendly and seemed not to care to the guests.
and it was strange to get staff in the restaurant was busy with her mobile phone without care to the guest.
Pity the staff poor English, so we are difficult to communicate with them.
there are some of our requests were not followed up only because they do not understand English.
but they are nice location not far from down town.
Would be better if there was training English for staff.
We also have problem with the A/C in our room, sometimes too cold, sometimes off.

Room Tip: Please make sure that condition A/C is good.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Iis_Murjatie
Elwas, General Manager at Swiss-Belhotel Maleosan Manado, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear Iis Murjatie

Warmest Greetings from Manado....

On behalf of my team, I'd like to express my sincere gratitude for your stay at our property during your visit to Manado. I also thank you to have your valuable feedback on our operation and I find it very useful to improve our service quality.

I have checked your feedback to my operation and made any efforts to ensure that the such situation will not occur in the future.
I hope you still grant me and my team to serve you better on your next visit to Manado and I will be more than happy if I can personally welcome you back in my property.

Thank you for your attention and looking forward to welcoming you back in Manado.

Best Regards

Suwarno
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I have recently stayed in the Swiss Bel Maleosan twice over the past month (4 nights and 10 nights) for work. The hotel was exactly what I expected for a hotel that could be anywhere in the world. The staff were all very friendly, right from check-in to the dining room and the bars. All staff that I had to deal with had a good knowledge of English, which was great (I know no Indonesian). Both occasions I arrived at around 11am (long before the posted check-in time) and the front desk staff ensured that the room staff cleaned a non-smoking room for me ASAP so that I could go to the room. Both times I had to wait 20-30 mins for the room to be ready, but I found this acceptable due to my early check in.

I only ate breakfast in the dining room, which had a good selection of Asian foods. The Western selection was minimal, but I found the food to be good.

I would definitely stay again on any future visits to Manado.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Thamrin A, IT & E-commerce Manager at Swiss-Belhotel Maleosan Manado, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Dear Matt W,

Warmest Greetings from Manado....

On behalf of Manado team, i would like to express our gratitude to have you stayed in our property. we are very happy to hear that you have such a good experience during the stay. we will working very hard to ensure the quality of our product and service to meet the expectations.

Thank you very much for your time reviewing us on Tripadvisor, we found it very useful for our improvements. we are looking forward to welcoming you back in Manado. have a good day.

Best regards,
Surabaya, Indonesia
Reviewed 24 August 2013

I stayed in this hotel for two days to follow my national meeting held in Manado. i did enjoy my stay in this hotel. The location is perfect as it is close to the local restaurant. Staffs are extremely friendly and helpful. Room clean and breakfast is full set up. i will stay in this hotel again, no doubt.

Room Tip: The executive room quite spacious...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Dear Alex0715,

Warmest Greetings from Swiss-Belhotel Maleosan Manado...

On behalf of the team, i would like to sincerely thank you for your stay with us. thank you very much for your trust to our property as your accommodation facilities. we are very excited to hear that you enjoy during the stay. it is very kind of you to share your experience with us, and we found it very helpful for our improvements.

we hope that you will share your good experience with your colleagues. and we looking forward to welcoming you back in our property.

Best Regards,
Paris
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I check in in the evening,after a tiring day,longing for a bath to relax.Surprised by the small size of the bath tub,I nevertheless decide to have a bath.Total disappointment,no hot water even after 10 minutes running water.No bath then and I go to bed.Impossible to fall asleep,loud street noises enter my room,there is no sound insulation!
I expect to have my eggs and bacon for breakfast but no sausage,bacon,beans or tomato.Only Indonesian breakfast.Weatern habits have not yet reached this hotel.
Needless to say,I quit for a better place.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Elwas, General Manager at Swiss-Belhotel Maleosan Manado, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Dear Mr. Racam

Warmest Greetings from Manado

Referring to your feedback of your experience in our hotel, I'd like to sincerely apologize to you and I confirm you that such situation should not occur to you. I have asked my engineering team to do random check on hot water on every shift to ensure that the hot water system was running properly. As to the breakfast, we have added some menus in our breakfast. Previously we provide one type of sausage but now we provide two type of sausage, chicken sausage and beef sausage. for bacon, we don't provide fork bacon but we provide beef bacon and it is available on every breakfast. For eggs choices, you may request any eggs to our staff.

I do hope that you grant me a chance to serve you in the future and I will ensure that the such situation will not occur in the future.

Thank you and best regards.

Suwarno
Jakarta - Singapore
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Came in with friends and we stayed here for 4 days 3 nights. Picked this hotel for its good location and justified room rate.

Arrived past midnight, there's no help from anyone on our luggages (well that's okay, everyone probably out of duty). Greeted by sleepy zombie-like front office boys who took forever to check us in. We made reservation and put deposit payment in advance from Jakarta - and there seem to be no trouble, but what took the FO so long, we were confused.

Receptionist table was slightly at a mess from mugs of coffee & papers lying around.

We got into smoking room (did specify when make bookings for a non-smoking room). We got into a corner room on 5th floor - which just happened to be located next to mall/station that makes announcement all day ! (we got to hear the sound of lift and endless sound of public announcement from the building/station that's just outside opposite_

AC in room was leaking, so there's water all over the floor when we entered the room. Room is stuffy with leftover smoke-scent. And bath tub drainage wasnt working well (water from shower float and took forever to drain out)

Room was clean (except for the smoke smell), linen & towels are all up to standard.

Engineering came about to check the AC about 30 mins later. (we we hoping to be transferred to another room, but was informed earlier that hotel is fully booked) . Engineering couldnt help with the tub, he said he'd send help (the one that never came and we couldnt be bothered cause it's already so late & we're all tired). We waited for close to an hour min for housekeeping to set up extra bed.

Wi-Fi is available in room, though router wifi is available, connection is rather slow. But okay for a simple email-checking , not for browsing.

Terrible breakfast in the morning, came in at 6:30 and greeted by an empty piece of paper and a pen. Breakfast set up was a mess, cold milk wasn't cold, bubur manado & other hot dishes weren't hot. There's no glass & mugs for coffee /tea / juice. Servers were either too busy engaging conversations with table next to ours (stewardess & pilots) or too busy talking among themselves. Other tables was a mess (leftover from prev.guests). But good thing is food station was being refilled periodically

The cook at egg station didnt understand when i requested for 'egg benedict' - though there's a tentcard display on diff style of egg for breakfast that guest can choose from. I settled for simple scrambled.

Had a very long, too long process of checking out at the end of our stay. Still no one that helped us with the luggages ( we called receptionist for help, waited for 15 mins, and we decided to bring them down on our own)

Swimming pool was okay for a good short swim. Clean & not very big.

Security by the entrance was prolly the most friendly staff we ever encountered throughout our visit and stay at the hotel.

If this were to be a 2-star property, service, quality, hospitality & everything else is understandable. Else, the stay was a total flop.

Room Tip: Do not get the corner rooms !
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Elwas, General Manager at Swiss-Belhotel Maleosan Manado, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Dear Ibu Hesteriaa

Warmest Greetings from Manado...

Thank you to have posted your feedback expressing your experience during your stay in our property and I found it useful to improve our quality of service. I had traced your arrival and your departure process in our hotel through our CCTV. The check in time took about 10 minutes in the reception desk as the staffs were handling other guests to check in. I have asked my FOM to assign more staffs on the front desk when the hotel was fully booked. When you arrived, all our non smoking rooms had been occupied and our reservation staff had confirmed to your hotel Booker previously that non-smoking room were sold out and not available on your stay since the hotel run 100%. The check out time in the front desk took less than three minutes. I do apologize for not sending our bellboy to help you with your luggage and I still investigate why no bellboy help you to take down the luggage. I hope you still grant me and our team to serve you better in the future. Please kindly advise in my number 081328833100 when you plan to visit Manado in the future and I can ensure you that the such situation will not occur in your future stay.

Thank you for your attention.

Best Regards