“Enjoyable stay in Manado”

Novotel Manado Golf Resort & Convention Centre
Ranked #12 of 45 Hotels in Manado
Reviewed 12 November 2012

Very easy access from and to airport. It's quiet and a bit secluded, away from city center, but we can easily travel around by taxi and rented car, to Manado city, Bunaken, Tomohon, etc. A pleasant and enjoyable stay for us.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 November 2012

I was in the hotel for three nights and would not recommend it unless being close to the airport is important. The service was substandard. I was not offered a welcome drink on arrival. Later that night I ordered chocolate cake through room service. After one hour it had not been delivered so I called room service again and was told the delay was due to the restaurant being very busy. I cancelled the order, but thirty minutes later, after I had gone to sleep, the food arrived. I ordered a taxi one afternoon and waited in my room as instructed for 30 minutes until the desk called to say my taxi had arrived. I went immediately to the lobby only to find that somebody else took my taxi. The staff apologized and said it was difficult for them to tell the other person that the taxi was reserved for me. I sat in the lobby another 30 minutes waiting on a second taxi. The one morning I did not have to wake up early, the phone rang at 5:55 with a call from the desk asking if I had ordered a 6:00 am taxi to the airport, which I had not. The desk staff insisted I had because my room number was recorded with the order. I wonder who ended up having difficulty finding their taxi. I had a ground floor room with a door opening onto a patio. The door is usually covered by a curtain, but I saw it on arrival when I was checking the room. I did not open the door. But, when I woke up my second morning in the hotel, I opened the curtain looking for some light (the rooms are very dark), I found the door open -- not unlocked, but open about 50 cent! Anybody could have walked in during the night. Fortunately I did not find anything missing.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
RossGreenaway, General Manager at Novotel Manado Golf Resort & Convention Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2012

Thank you very much for the constructive feedback about the Chocolate Cake order and the Taxi problem, we have addressed the Cake delivery issue and reviewed our services. The taxi company servicing our Resort has also been informed of the relevant information and concerns.

With great respect to you we do believe you may have left the Terrace Door ajar when retiring for the night.

Best regards

Reviewed 7 November 2012

Novotel Manado is the nearest hotel from Sam Ratulangi Airport. The room is very clean and quite big and also comfortable. My favorite things on this hotel is the breakfast. I can found cereal, Various bakery, omelette, fried rice, sausage, and SUSHI.... Nyom..... A Fancy breakfast to started your day.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 October 2012

we stayed for 1 night... the room was big, nice and clean, it also have a fast internet line... one of my favorite was the veranda in front of my room. we can get fresh air in the morning while drink a cup of tea in the veranda... nice..!!

Room Tip: very good quality hotel near the airport
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2012

This Novotel offers stylish rooms, quiet grounds with golfing, a small restaurant and a large cafe. The breakfast was good. The respectful attitude of the staff made us feel welcome. Room prices are a value.

We stayed here two nights, not as a destination, but while waiting for flight to a remote location. Aside from the nearby Convention Center and golf, there is not much to do in this location away from town, but near the airport. Grounds are well-tended and there is a sunrise view of the dormant volcano nearby.

I enjoyed a 60 minute traditional massage and a 30 minute foot massage and it was heavenly. Prices are very reasonable. The masseuse "Widya" worked with strong hands and great attentiveness.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 October 2012

I stayed here for business for 2 nights. Overall the hotel is beautiful, with a great view of the nearby volcano. Breakfast is good and the pool is nice. Service here is very nice and the room service is very tasty. Only 2 problems: 1. It is out in the middle of nowhere. If you want to walk around at night and experience some of the wonderful culture in Northern Sulawesi, you are out of luck in this hotel. 2. I hosted a dinner and asked for an itemized bill...it never showed up and then once my staff received an overall bill from the hotel we realized that we were charged outrageous prices for the get together...really very expensive at the restaurant. Still, as long as you know what you are getting into and you don't mind a quiet hotel this is a very nice one.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
RossGreenaway, General Manager at Novotel Manado Golf Resort & Convention Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2012

Hi Nick

Thank you very much for the positive feedback and we are delighted you had such a positive view of our Resort, in particular the service from our staff.

Can I invite you to send me details of the Function you held, we are quite surprised that you felt the pricing outrageous - we have rarely had any Dinners that were more than USD$20 per person. Unless of course they include Wine or Spririts which can have a huge effect on the costs due to the 220% Government Tax on Alcohol here in Indonesia. My email address is gm@novotelmanado.com

I look forward to hearing from you, and welcoming you back to Novotel Manado in the near future.........

Regards

Reviewed 30 September 2012

We spent our last night before flying home at the Novotel. There is the big advantage, the hotel is very near to the airport avoiding Manado traffic jam's.

Judging this hotel we should keep in mind, that Manado is not a touristic area and the hotel caters more for local business. On the other hand, it is a Novotel and expectations to the name go along.

On the first sight it looks like a nice and modern hotel, on the second sight it looks a bit rund down and better cleaning is needed. The blind to the bathtub is broken, the green sofa is stained, corners in the shower are black. If I find better cleaned rooms in simple cottages during my trip, Novotel did net perform well.

As we spent the day with local friends, we just had breakfest at the hotel.The buffet was ok and the choice of local and international delights ok.

In all, labour is cheap in the area and cleaning can be improved but it needs the management to supervise more. In general we have to accept that Manado is not a city to western standards, suffering from electricity blackouts and shortages. During our stay this year, there was hardly any diesel available. But cleaning has nothing to do with shortages ...

Regarding a price of 70US$ per room, yes we would stay there again for the conveninece of the short trip to the airport.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
RossGreenaway, General Manager at Novotel Manado Golf Resort & Convention Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2012

Hi Rolf and thank you for the review, you are absolutely correct in saying that the Novotel Brand brings expectations and a guarantee of standards. We sincerely apologize for not doing that with our level of Housekeeping during your stay, no excuses and we appreciate you bringing that to our attention.

The location of Manado does present us with some challenges however it is our job to present you with a world class Novotel Resort, and it is great to read that you will return and allow us to show ourselves as perfect Hosts next time.

Best regards