“Staff are the best I've met”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Aston Manado Hotel

Aston Manado Hotel
Ranked #4 of 46 Hotels in Manado
Hobart
“Staff are the best I've met”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

For business

I stayed in the Aston for just over a week to attend a conference in Manado. I had some last minute printing to do, and the business centre they had, while simple, was adequate to my needs. The first person I consulted in the evening at the front desk was really confused about what I needed to do, but in the morning I was helpfully directed to the business centre, and helped by staff to access the computer and printer. Reasonable charges for printing.

The wifi connection is good - fast and fairly strong. It dropped out a few times, but that's a reasonable expectation in a developing city.

Laundry and room

I had a fantastic time. The staff are amazing. Jeinal, who made up my room even did towel origami animals - elephants, and turtles. The beds are incredibly comfortable, the air conditioning is controlled from your room, so that's nice. The showers are hot and heavy, and the toilets have a bidet seat! Some leeway has to be given for the tropical conditions, as there was some mould in the showers, but it wasn't hurting anyone.

The laundry services were reasonably priced and provided excellent service. My clothes were always returned on the same day, and they were so clean and smelled so nice. I was really happy with this service, and somehow it made me feel very welcomed and at home.

Bar and restaurant

Sonny, the restaurant manager, was an absolute gem for conversation and he ran a tight ship, the breakfast buffet was always varied, tasty and filling. The freshly made omelettes were a highlight for both the service and the flavour.

Lian, in the bar, was kind, helpful and welcoming. I loved spending the evening in the bar, eating yummy food for dinner (the nasi goreng was very tasty), working a little, and relaxing. The bar is well stocked, and the pina coladas are very tasty. You can sit in smoking and non-smoking, and as a recreational smoker (I only smoke on holidays), it was a real treat to smoke and drink indoors. This won't appeal to everyone, but by gosh it appealed to me.

Pricing and front desk

The prices are very reasonable with the exchange rate so strong for Australia with Indonesia. The front of desk staff were lovely whenever I interacted with them as well. They were also very helpful with my laundry, when I wanted another laundry list, and any other requests I had, which were few and not particularly onerous.

Location and porter staff

Great location for what I was doing because the conference had two venues in two very distant places, so I was half way between the two venues. The porters were THE BEST, and always hailed a cab for me, were always ready with a smile, and the one time I got lost and returned in the rain were ready with very big and amused smiles.

Massage

I took advantage of the massage service as my back was tight from the long plane journey. This was the only disappointing part of my stay. The masseur was perfunctory and disinterested in her job. I enjoy massage in Australia, and have rarely had problems, but I felt like this masseur wanted nothing more than to be done with the whole business. She finished 10 minutes early. I spent the entire massage wondering if I stank, and found that the masseur didn't do a particularly good job of what she did manage to do. The staff who greeted me at the gym were really friendly, and she herself wasn't particularly unkind, she was just disinterested and seemed repelled by me. I'm not a particularly repellant person, physically or morally, so it was startling and disappointing.

Other things

Other guests were nice too - I had a couple of great conversations with people I met. Overall - fantastic time. I look forward to going back if I get the chance. I felt sad leaving, because it had become like a little home away from home.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank LSLDV

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

We stayed for 1 week in Aston Manado Hotel. We booked via our travel agent. The price is more cheaper than online booking.. but just small different..
The location is very good in central of Manado. Have biggest shopping mall near by. Hotel also provide free shuttle bus to/from Manado Town Square by given time (4 times a day)..

The breakfast is very good, all serves with local food.. The staff are friendly and nice. Revo has served us very well during our stayed.

Room Tip: Request for sea view room to see the sunset...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Suva, Fiji
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

We stayed for two nights in Aston hotel, between our trips to Pulisan and Tomohon. Our objective was to get around in the city easily and fast, and the hotel worked well. The staff are helpful and nice. The breakfast is very good, and I'm saying this mainly because of a local porridge they serve with fresh herbs, highly recommended. We also used the gym, quite good for the place, you could see that people from Manado use it too. On the negative side, our room, although not a smoking room, smelled like cigarette, the kind of smell that is ingrained in the furniture.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Rosenheim, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

Ideal base for a few days in Northern Sulawesi. Ivan was always present and has shown himself as a good guide. Vladi proved to be a good driver. Mario and the girls in the restaurant made breakfast a pleasent event, with lots of choices.
Bobby Siswara the general Manager was ubiquitous and gave excellent example to his staff.
Language skills of staff at reception could be better. This lack lead to some minor misunderstandings, or slow reaction to a few of our requests. They made efforts to help, though.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Bobby S, General Manager at Aston Manado Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Frakel 1

Tabea.................warm greeting from Aston Manado!

It was a pleasure to have you with us for a few days and I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I sincerely thank you for your great review and for sharing it on TripAdvisor. Thank you for high light our quality product and services that is appreciated. I learn also some input which will be for sure very useful for our improvement. I will work with human resources team to spend more time on English lesson for the staff to improve their English languages to avoid the miss communication you experienced.
I am very happy that we were able to surpass your expectation and that you had a memorable stay with us.
I look forward to the pleasure of a return visit and to welcoming you back at Aston Manado.

best wishes,
Aston Manado
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

We booked online, the hotel's own website - it was the cheapest at the time.
We stayed in a deluxe room; there didn't seem to be much difference between this and the superior - they were also the same price at this time.

Check-in went smoothly - a glass of juice was offered while we waited.
Our deluxe room was on the third floor - same as the spa and gym, also the floor below the ballroom. We were concerned that it may be noisy on this floor but it was very quiet, despite a function taking place in the ballroom.

The room was nice, although a little worn in places. The furniture arrangement was also slightly odd.
The bed was amazingly comfortable with large, fluffy cushions - we had two great nights of sleep.

We placed the 'Do Not Disturb' sign on the door during our stay. On three separate occasions on the same day, three different members of staff either knocked or phoned for housekeeping. In my opinion, this shows lack of communication and from a consumer point of view it was overkill.

We ate at the restaurant on our first night. It is a large area, unfortunately we were half of their diners that evening - no atmosphere despite an attempt at live music. Our disappointment didn't end here..
We really enjoy spicy (rica-rica!) food but the beef dish we ordered was so hot, it was barely edible. (Most restaurants catering to a Western palette ask how spicy you would like the dish - they didn't.)
The other dish we ordered, a tasty chicken dish arrived undercooked.
We expected so much more from a four star hotel.

Thankfully, breakfast the next morning was to a much higher standard. The waitress was really helpful and super-friendly. Food choices were in abundance and all very tasty. There was about a dozen stations, all catering differently; omelettes, fruit, pastries, Indonesian cuisine etc.

Our second morning, we had an early flight. When we explained to reception there was no problem in organising a take-away breakfast. It was waiting, ready for us at 4.30am the next morning. This was great service.

The hotel is located along the main hotel strip in Manado. You are only a short mikrolet journey (3000rp per journey) into town (They stop outside the hotel to any point along their route) or a taxi to the megamall area is only around 15,000rp.
Our bluebird taxi to the airport only cost 50,000 - this was at 4.30am - there was no traffic!

Pros:
-Good customer service at front desk.
-Excellent breakfast food and staff.
-Extremely comfortable bed.

Cons:
-Restaurant during dinner service.
-Lack of communication in Housekeeping team.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nancy K
Jakarta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

I frequently go to Manado for business trips and I always stay at this hotel. The hotel always makes me feel welcomed and comfortable.
The hotel is located right in city centre. Rooms are kept nice and clean. Breakfast was also great. But what impressed me the most is the level of service. I have been to many hotels around the world and there are not many where all the staffs (including the General Manager) were all smiles and tried their best to make your stay enjoyable. How often would you see a General Manager (Mr. Bobby) greeting guests and even helping out during breakfast peak hour. Two thumbs up to Mr Bobby, Mr Kelvin and all their team

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Sid B
Bobby S, General Manager at Aston Manado Hotel, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Dear Sid B

Tabea....................warm greeting from Aston Manado!

Thank you very much for taking the time and sharing your wonderful experiences during your stay with us on TripAdvisor.
I am delighted to know that you had a great stay with us and were pleased with our facilities and services.
Guest satisfaction is our top priority. I will definitely pass on your compliments to our associates, so that they may - be recognized for their efforts.
Once again thank you very much for your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back to Aston Manado in the near future.

yours sincerely,
Aston Manado .
Hamburg, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

I stayed in the Aston Manado for 2 weeks on a business trip. I have rarely been in a hotel where people tried so hard to please and where so friendly as here, I honestly felt very much at home and treated like a VIP! Everybody went out of their ways to make the stay better and more enjoyable. I was even photographed in the lobby one morning while waiting for my driver and found, upon my return in the evening, a framed picture of myself with thanx from the hotel for staying there. The room on the 9th floor was spacious with a nice view towards the ocean. The bed was very comfortable. Cleanliness in the room was good, also a nice touch is the free tea/coffee facility and the 2 bottles of free water per day. Improvable would be the hot/cold water in the shower, some clients I overheard talking about having only cold water, while I only had hot water during my stay. Also the place mats in the breakfast room/restaurant have not been changed once during the 2 weeks despite very obvious stains. The Manado offers free albeit weak WiFi in the room, unfortunately the SAT TV does not have any international news stations but gives access, with permanent “snow-storms” on the screen, to some English HBO movies. Unfortuntately no pool. Should I return to Manado, I would definitely try to stay there again. Thanx to the hotel team and management for the pleasant time.

Room Tip: higher floors facing towards the ocean, traffic noise but exceptional sunsets over the volcano
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Bobby S, General Manager at Aston Manado Hotel, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Kher P

Tabea.......................warm greeting from Aston Manado!

On behalf of the entire team at the Aston Manado, I would like to thank you for staying with us and writing a review on TripAdvisor.

We are all very happy to learn that you enjoyed our services along 2 weeks stayed with us and also the comfortable room with its view facing the ocean. It is truly encouraging that your appreciated the professional and friendly services delivered by our associates.

I will look into your comment on the cold and hot water of shower, TV channel and cleanliness of placed mat at our restaurant. I assure you , if you visit us again all the things mentioned has been addressed seriously to shown you that our aim to exceed your expectations. The guest satisfaction is our top priority.

The entire team at Aston Manado is looking forward to welcoming you back in the future to experiences more.

yours sincerely,