“Good Location”

Ranked #4 of 46 Hotels in Manado
Medan, Indonesia
“Good Location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

I've checkin last week around midnight, the check in was ok and fast. The hotel is Clean , Breakfast is Ok, Location is Good, center of city. theres Texas Fried Chicken just next to the hotel or i think just 2 or 3 building apart. Overall my stay here is Ok. First night and Second te AC in the room wasnt cool enough for me, the third night they moved me to another room which had better AC. I complained about the AC on the second noght and the Maintanance Guy come and fix it very fast, but theres no different on the AC tho. Hahhaa

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Balikpapan, Indonesia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

After staying three nights on a resort in Wori with my family, I decided to spend our last night in Manado on a hotel closer to the airport because we had a flight at 6 am on the next day. After looking at all reviews at Trip Advisor, I made a booking at the Aston for two rooms. For my surprise when we checked in I was informed that they just had smoking rooms available. I complaiined and finally they gave me two non-smoking rooms at the same floor. They were not adjoining rooms as I requested on my reservation but at least they were on a non-smoking floor.
After the check in everything went alright. My wife and my older daughter tried the spa and they said it was good. The rooms are not big but could accommodate an extra bed. Both rooms were at the third floor facing the main street that it's a little bit noisy. The restaurant has a very good fried banana with toffee. The hotel had their own transportation that charged a little bit more than a regular taxi to take us to the airport, what's is normal anywhere.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

We spent 3 nights in a superior room on 6th floor (no smoking floor). Very nice room, clean, large enough, beautiful view, regular bathroom with big shower. Good reception service and very good restaurant director. Good breakfast with lot of choice: local and international food.
For the first two nights we were in the room n. 607. The 3rd night, around midnight, we were woken up and compelled to move to another room due to an electrical fault on the whole 6th floor (nothing to say, can happen). The new room n. 306 was smaller than n. 607 but, most importantly, it was unacceptably dirty (I think an used room). We were obliged to sleep over the bed with our clothes on. After returning home I sent a mail to the Aston International with a refund request. In few days after a short investigation Aston Manado refunded my money for the last night. Thank you very much Mr. Eddy Stenli Komansilan from Bali Office and Mr. Calvin Koraag from Aston Manado Hotel. If I go back to Manado I will stay at your hotel again because overall I liked it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

The location of Aston Manado is great - in central area of city. The street isn't so busy as the one in front of Golden Mart. The room is an Aston group standard. There was stain on the chair and we covered it with a cloth on bed cover. The water of shower was perfect - a lot of hot water. Variety of food wasn't a lot on breakfast buffet. The front desk people was helpful and attentive.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room with ocean view. Think it's a nice room to stay.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

My family stayed for 2 nights in Aston Manado after spending 5 days in rural Tanawangko, Minahasa. Our objective was to explore the city before flying back to Singapore.

Location
Fantastic location as it is situated in central Manado. There are shopping malls and departmental stores nearby. It is also within walking distance to nearby shops and restaurants. The hotel also provide free shuttle to/ from Manado Town Square 4 times a day.

Front Desk/ Porter Staff
The front desk staff were extremely helpful and patient with my endless enquiries. They made me feel very comfortable interacting with them. They even assist me to make calls to a local T-Shirt supplier and arrange for him to deliver my T-Shirts to my room. Fantastic! The porters were very efficient and remember which floor your room is on. They have good initiative and never fail to be at your service.

Room
The deluxe room was nice and clean. The beds were incredibly comfortable with large fluffy pillows. You hate to wake up in the morning as it was too comfortable. The toilets come with a bidet seat which is a plus! The two issues which I have is the noise coming from the occasional shifting of furniture and closing of doors from other rooms. The other issue is the hot water in the showers which were not consistent. It can become cold suddenly...

Breakfast
Breakfast buffet was serve with a limited spread of their local food. It was tasty and filling for the adults but my two kids, 11 and 14 year-old were disappointed. They only like the omelette station because the other dishes cater to the adults. I managed to speak to Ms Nancy, the account manager about having one or two more dishes for my kids. She replied me with a smile and says she will take note of it. The next morning, to my utmost surprise, she had the chef prepare a plate of delicious chicken in kicap manis sauce, which was my kids favorite. My son and daughter slurped up everything with just plain white rice. This was impeccable service worth mentioning. Thank you Aston Manado. Your staff is great!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MaeLynn68
Jakarta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

We were in Aston Manado for Easter for four nights. We were in a small suite, and the hotel and service were adequate with on big problem.

We asked for the Easter Service on Sunday in the Central Church, just across the hotel, and they promised us info, which we got in a form of letter left in the room. they told us that sunday easter service would be at 10AM, when we went there it was ending as it was really 9AM. As they are strictly non-pork (which even in Jakarta is not that strict), I presume that they do not like a certain religion there...

Well that will be a reason never to go back there.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Hobart
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

For business

I stayed in the Aston for just over a week to attend a conference in Manado. I had some last minute printing to do, and the business centre they had, while simple, was adequate to my needs. The first person I consulted in the evening at the front desk was really confused about what I needed to do, but in the morning I was helpfully directed to the business centre, and helped by staff to access the computer and printer. Reasonable charges for printing.

The wifi connection is good - fast and fairly strong. It dropped out a few times, but that's a reasonable expectation in a developing city.

Laundry and room

I had a fantastic time. The staff are amazing. Jeinal, who made up my room even did towel origami animals - elephants, and turtles. The beds are incredibly comfortable, the air conditioning is controlled from your room, so that's nice. The showers are hot and heavy, and the toilets have a bidet seat! Some leeway has to be given for the tropical conditions, as there was some mould in the showers, but it wasn't hurting anyone.

The laundry services were reasonably priced and provided excellent service. My clothes were always returned on the same day, and they were so clean and smelled so nice. I was really happy with this service, and somehow it made me feel very welcomed and at home.

Bar and restaurant

Sonny, the restaurant manager, was an absolute gem for conversation and he ran a tight ship, the breakfast buffet was always varied, tasty and filling. The freshly made omelettes were a highlight for both the service and the flavour.

Lian, in the bar, was kind, helpful and welcoming. I loved spending the evening in the bar, eating yummy food for dinner (the nasi goreng was very tasty), working a little, and relaxing. The bar is well stocked, and the pina coladas are very tasty. You can sit in smoking and non-smoking, and as a recreational smoker (I only smoke on holidays), it was a real treat to smoke and drink indoors. This won't appeal to everyone, but by gosh it appealed to me.

Pricing and front desk

The prices are very reasonable with the exchange rate so strong for Australia with Indonesia. The front of desk staff were lovely whenever I interacted with them as well. They were also very helpful with my laundry, when I wanted another laundry list, and any other requests I had, which were few and not particularly onerous.

Location and porter staff

Great location for what I was doing because the conference had two venues in two very distant places, so I was half way between the two venues. The porters were THE BEST, and always hailed a cab for me, were always ready with a smile, and the one time I got lost and returned in the rain were ready with very big and amused smiles.

Massage

I took advantage of the massage service as my back was tight from the long plane journey. This was the only disappointing part of my stay. The masseur was perfunctory and disinterested in her job. I enjoy massage in Australia, and have rarely had problems, but I felt like this masseur wanted nothing more than to be done with the whole business. She finished 10 minutes early. I spent the entire massage wondering if I stank, and found that the masseur didn't do a particularly good job of what she did manage to do. The staff who greeted me at the gym were really friendly, and she herself wasn't particularly unkind, she was just disinterested and seemed repelled by me. I'm not a particularly repellant person, physically or morally, so it was startling and disappointing.

Other things

Other guests were nice too - I had a couple of great conversations with people I met. Overall - fantastic time. I look forward to going back if I get the chance. I felt sad leaving, because it had become like a little home away from home.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business