“Worst Hotel I ever experienced”
Review of Celebes Hotel

Celebes Hotel
Ranked #18 of 44 Hotels in Manado
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

Bad service! Unfriendly! I checked in and payed for the room. At 11:30 PM (!!!) the telephon in my room rang and wake me up. It was the staff and told me that I have to pay more because they made a mistake and sent me to a more expensive room. I should pay immediately in the night. I told him I wanted to sleep. In the morning I was still sleepy and just wanted to get a bottle of water, the staff stopped me very unfriendly and wanted to get more money for the room immediately. I told him that is not ok but he did not understand. I payed the money. After that I talked to the manager and her only interesst was to make sure that I payed more money. The rooms are diry and very basic. The ac is smelling and loud. All that for a quite expensive price. Never again! Dont let them cheat you. Dont go there!

• Stayed: June 2014

Reviewed 29 January 2014

We stayed on the standard AC room. Great location to stay overnight and take a boat on the next day to bunaken, the harbour's just 5 minute walking. Not recommending to stay for a longer terms, it's very noisy and not the cleanest room. You can ask the reception to arrange a charter car to airport or call a taxi.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We had two different for the two nights we stayed: the "grande" and the "deluxe" (grande being the more expensive one). Grande comes with a balcony overlooking the very loud port but the rooms were similar - I would have paid more not to have the balcony... (The view is also far from enchanting).
The deluxe room itself is nice, though you can't be squeamish about the sanitary conditions in the shower. The bed was OK so not too much complaining there.
However, do avoid the food. Breakfast, which comes free, is horrendous (plain toast was the only decent thing) and dinner was by far the worst we had in our 4 weeks in Indonesia. (Also, a supposedly vegetarian plate contained undefined sausage and meat bits floating in gluey sauce...)
PS: for those expecting a fitness center, do not hold the bar too high. On the third floor there is a smoking lounge with a treadmill (and I don't have proof it works).

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I stayed here for two nights. I chose this hotel because it says on their website that they arranged tours. My original travel plans had changed because of weather, so I needed new options. However, when I asked the girl at reception about the tours she couldn't provide me with any information. She just advised me to take the public boat to Bunaken.
As for the room, it was ok clean. The bed was very comfortable. The hot water didn't really work. If I turned it to hot, then there was no water pressure, just a small stream of water. The breakfast is buffet style, but not good. It is better to turn up than book through a website because the prices are cheaper.
I stopped here on my way back from Bunaken simply because it is right by the port. The staff at reception then were very friendly and helpful and had remembered me from the checkout a couple of days before.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank kitovu
Reviewed 19 November 2013

The staf is very friendly and willing to help you. The rooms just got painted so they look nice now. The rooms are rather small but clean. They have a combined small bathroom and toilet. But to shower...just sit on the toilet. I wouldn't recommend staying longer than one night.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 September 2013

I, like many, used it as a base to get to Bunaken. There is a price list at reception of all the different room types ranging from about 125,000rp to 400,000rp. Some travel sites only provide one of the more expensive options, so my advice would be to just turn up. My room cost 250,000 and was adequate. Very close to the port. Friendly reception staff. There is nothing of any interest nearby, Manado is just a typical Indonesian city.

Room Tip: Don't reserve the room first - just turn up and there should be plenty of choice, the room boy w...