“Vacation”

Mercure Manado Tateli Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 45 Hotels in Manado
Reviewed 27 December 2009

Very nice hotel clean and quite good for diving package.
I would come back for my next visit.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

An Agoda Traveller
Reviewed 30 October 2009

• Stayed: October 2009
Reviewed 21 October 2009

A quiet resort with great amenities, and the white sandy beach is just a few footsteps from our room. One thing i like is its peacefullness, and so so quiet. Good for my soul recovery moment. Rooms are huge and very clean, with of course excellent ocean views. Lots of activities on site, like boating, bicycling, gym. Good hotel overall.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 October 2009

Hotel is fine but there are some things that need highlighting. It's advertised as a 4* which may have been true in it's hey day, but it's more like a 3* today.

Hotel Sedona has an on-site Dive operation, Minahasa Divers. I got the dive package which included accommodation, 3 dives and 3 meals per day. Diving was my priority and I wasn't disappointed and Manado lived up to all that I was hoping it would be.

Minahasa Divers are ok BUT I did have some issues with their operation. This is the first dive op I've used where they don't instruct you to do a Buddy check (granted, I should have known better and done it anyway). I went down with the divemaster and noticed at 5m that my Buddy was still at the surface. The divemaster went back up to investigate and it turns out that the crew hadn't turned on his air - MAJOR mistake. When we went to Lembeh Straits there weren't enough weight belts and they forgot to bring the creamer so it was black tea or coffee all round. My biggest issue was that for 2 days I had to dive with a group of Dilberts who were swiftly named 'Reef Wreckers' by my Buddy and I. Day 1 of diving and I've never seen a group of divers be so disrepectful to the corals and the marine life. Zero common sense. I saw a guy chase and corner a puffer fish with his metal pointer (trying to puff it up???) and another prat had 2 metal pointers and used them to walk along the reef bottom. But the thicko prize goes to the solo-girl in the group who should give up diving and take up rock climbing based on the amount of corals she was clambering over. Seeing her do a one legged karate kid pose for the cameras on a coral made my eyes bulge. Maybe Minahasa Divers should have given her a whale shark suit to wear ... the corals are still reeling from her excess love of doughnuts (yes - she brought a box of the fried rings of dough onto the boat). After giving some constructive feedback to the chief of Minahasa Divers (something along the lines that anywhere else, the divemaster should end/ban any further diving ... and Manado can kiss it's preservation and longevity as a world class diving destination if such wreckless divers are let loose in the waters), unsuprisingly, our second day of diving was not with the Dilberts. The dive master kindly whispered to me that they had been told off and told not to touch the corals ... tut tut. Day 3 we were back with the Dilberts and the under water karate kid wannabe was back to her rock climbing antics. Get this, the Dilberts all worked for a zoo!??

Back to the hotel review ...
I had a garden facing room which was fine. Room was as expected but the level of cleanliness/housekeeping needs improving (it's time for management to send the housekeeping team off for some training or a special dirt spotting eye test). I stayed 6 nights and each day I wondered whether the noticebly big blob of dirt on the floor would be cleaned (blob of dirt was normally happy under one of the beds but was exposed when the two beds were pushed together as they'd run out of double beds). The bathroom looks tired and there are some dodgey looking stains on the bathroom floor tiles. They're probably just water stains but it doesn't look great and looks like it has had years of people peeing on the floor. Safe to say, the bathroom lets the room down.

Food ...
Breakfast was ok with a mix of western and asian fare. Overall, you won't go hungry but it won't get your taste buds buzzing.
Lunch - club sarnie and COLD fries sitting in a box all day in 30' heat ... recipe for salmonella-lisciousness. To be fair, there was other stuff to choose from, just don't choose yellow rice. Is that the same tip as never eat yellow snow?!
Dinner - some meals were ok, I guess it depends on when the chef had a night off and let the dish-washer gimp run the kitchen. If the meals aren't inclusive, venture out.

Highlights of the hotel is the pool area. Fantastic pool with plenty of beds but don't expect any service at the pool though as the staff haven't figured out what that is yet.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2009

Family trip with my wife & 3 yr old. Hotel was nice and decent.
Staff were friendly and all the arrangements we made were kept to (hotel transfers, etc). The one pool was decent enough and the private lagoon was nice.

Main grouse we had was that the room was kinda old - the toilet seat was broken but otherwise everything worked.

The hotel could use more restaurants though. But then since it wasnt very crowded, I am not sure more restaurants would survive.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 August 2009

It takes a while from airport to hotel but when you drive along the lovely driveway you descend into peaceful surroundings. check-in late at night, done by a receptionist who clearly had an attidute problem, was not pleasant and took a hell of a long time. our room, 2018 was a lovely spotlessly clean corner room with partial view of the sea. beds were very comfortable, 2 pillows very comfortable and spotless clean sheets. there is more then enough space to empty your suitcases although you do have to ask for hangers. room comes with tv, sitting area and standing lamp. bathroom is spotless with absolutely no mushroooms growing betwen the tiles. the bathroom tray is sparsely "furnished" with 1 tiny bit of soap, a bottle of shampoo and 1 bottle of showergel + 2 toothbrushes. I would suggest to the hotel manager to do away with the toothbrushes and put instead a bottle of hairconditioner and a packet of cottontips. breakfast is a pure Asian affair. croisssants are stale, butter is put on minute plates, open to whoever sneezes. we bought our own sealed butter in a supermarket. breakfast, dinner and lunch was extremely pleasant outside on the terras. the menu was big enough to be able to choose for every meal a different dish however it did not made sense to any of the guests that pork was on the menu but could not be had because of the swineflu, breakfast had however lovely pork bacon?! the SEDONA hotel has lovely guest orientated staff, housekeeping is fast in delivering what you need and the most important thing: all staff members do speak English and understand it! trips can be booked from the hotel however it would be a + when the hotel starts trips to Bunaken with less then the requered 6 guests. the hotel provides a (paid by you) shuttle service to the airport. it would be in the interest of the SEDONA hotel to start having a shuttle service into town as there is no means to get there other then waiting at least 20+minutes fo a taxi! we enjoyed our stay and would consider another trip if we could be certain of a hotel shuttle to town. the SEDONA was in the process of building a massage centre and annex restaurant which would be great, however I saw the massage rooms and they did look a bit small and I am an slim person. massage staff was being trained whilst we were there. they all did speak english eventhough it was not fluent like the hotel staff!
the SEDONA hotel/Manado is they only hotel we have ever been in which desinfects all rooms, we were absolutely stunned!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank overseaswriter
Reviewed 18 August 2009

I stayed 4 nights with my family in Sedona resort. The hotel was almost empty, which made it a very pleasant ans peaceful place after the noice of Manado. The private beacj lagoon is enjoyable and very safe for kids. The restaurant is very good. The diving club is not very professional.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family