Tasik Ria Resort Manado
US$107
US$90
Mapia Resort(Manado)
US$54
All reviewsjetty bardan greendive centremanager danlocal marketbunaken national parksea view bungalowdive operationdiving holidaydive staffoutdoor showerlocal sitesa la carte menugreat divingmain restaurantbuffet styleboat crew
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 June 2011

I was in this resort during last month of March together with some
friends. The hotel is quite nice, rooms are comfortable (even if the
air conditioned at the beginning was not working) and the swimming
pool is very nice. People in the hotel was really friendly, especially
people from the restaurant and the Jetty bar. Food in the hotel was
nice but not outstanding. Food on the boat was quite basic but enough
quantity.
Diving was really spectacular and our dive guides simply incredible in
showing us many wonderful things, and our Italian instructor was
helping us in many ways and his briefings with pictures were really
great. He helped the less experienced in feeling safe without be
oppressive and we appreciated that. The general atmosphere aboard was
friendly and funny and we really enjoyed our trip.

Positive: diving in general, jetty bay and swimming pool
Negative: food quality can be increased, boats are quite noisy, the
beach is full of fishermen boats.

Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 June 2011

My holiday to Tasik Ria Manado Indonesia,
I knew my holiday was going to be good even before I got there, having heard so much about the place and comments I had read from others, both plus and negative about their experience of staying at Tasik.
Just to set the scene, I am a relative newbie to diving, only recently having passed my BSAC sports. The diving around the islands can be pretty challenging given the currents but, I was also travelling with my dive buddy who is vastly experienced and has dived these waters many times.
We were collected from the airport by a small but very nice and tidy mini-bus, the transfer was about an hour depending on traffic (enjoy the ride, a tad white knuckle as the driving standards over there are not the best, but your driver will be more than a match, so you will be perfectly safe).
Arriving at the hotel we were greeted by a very warm and friendly staff along with a welcome drink. We were taken to our rooms and nice they were too very comfortable, clean and spacious with a fridge well stocked with beer and pop.
I went for a look round the hotel grounds to get my bearings and to check in at the dive centre to sort out kit and weights for the diving next day. The grounds are spectacular, just like living in the jungle with a lake, waterfall and coconut trees.
The restaurant is large and very nice, appealing to the eye with good views of the grounds, lake and waterfall.
The food....Now I am a tad fussy with my food but will try almost anything to give it a chance, there are a lot of local dishes on the menu which are very good but for me, the menu could be a tad more European friendly, don’t get me wrong the food is good, well produced and presented, but a little narrow on selection, but don’t let this put you off, even I didn’t starve I was well fed.
After all I have to remember I was in Indonesia, yes there are take always like KFC, McD`s, Pizza Hut and Burger King, but they are in the city of Manado a 1/2 hour drive away.
The local beer is Bintang and pretty good too, and the fruit juices are great, I ordered a pineapple juice from the bar only for the barman to trot off and crush a full pineapple for me to drink, wow it was good, try the coconut as well, mango and papaya. Top rated for the drinks.
Now the diving, simply spectacular what can I say, most dives are centered around Bunaken national park with loads of different dive sites (mostly wall dives up to 30m)
There are muck dives to do as well at the house reef or at Lembeh and Banka island which are not my cup of tea but for macro divers its a must.
The boats are well equipped, large with plenty of room, with fresh water and drinks available on request or serve yourself. The food on the boats is good but basic and again for the faddy eater they will provide pretty much what you want within reason.
The dive guides are brilliant, simply amazing, very knowledgeable about the diving areas and what you may see.
They have a very professional approach and do not waver from that, but still manage to have a laugh with the guests.
For those new divers like me with very few dives behind them, they keep a special eye on you, (so don’t be afraid to tell them you’re inexperienced its in your interests) always there checking all is ok and this gives you an advantage over the others as they will spot the critters well before any of the more experienced divers so you tend to get the first peek.
I have to say that given the attention they gave me without being claustrophobic, enabled me to relax and after the first day was under my belt, my nerves were gone.
A special thanks to them and the crew for an amazing diving experience in one of the most beautiful parts of the world you could ever wish to dive.
Besides the diving the resort offers day trips and for me that’s good, as 3 dives a day for 14 days is too much and besides, having come all this way I wished to see a little more of this great country besides the bubbles and Nemo hehe.
The trip to the Volcano is a must, spectacular even, and yes it’s active!!!! not to worry though, just a faint whiff of sulphur, not blown up for years.
The climb to the top is not for the faint hearted (2 hours walk to the top) and can be hard through thick jungle but, the views on the way up are special and once at the top, will blow your mind. (do not forget your camera)
Alternatively you can see the waterfalls, this trip too requires a walk in the jungle (about a mile) but, this walk is easy, again with fantastic views and great photo opportunities.
The resort offers a trip to the jungle and I mean jungle...there you will see the tarsiers, the world’s smallest monkey and how cute are they, also you may see the black macaques, birds and other creatures of the jungle like pythons and tarantulas.
The trip is well worth it ands don’t forget two changes of clothes as it is very very humid, you will need long sleeves and trousers, plenty of bug spray a torch and a very good camera, that is especially good at night time shooting, its dark very very black no lights nothing, except the noise of the critters, spooky.
The spa at the resort is a must after a rigorous diving schedule and tours, the masseuses are top draw and very very good, for 13 quid it’s a no brainer.
The pool area and bar is very relaxing, with stools in the pool, allowing you to sit at the bar with a chilled beer and a great snacks menu too.
Laundry service is great and a must I found, although you can wash your own.
I have to say that the resort is a must to visit, the staff are always there and willing to assist you, and the management team too muck in, they are not just there for show.
Given I was so far from home the helpfulness of the management and staff made it feel as if I had been there before and that they really valued my custom, which to me is what its all about, they could not do enough.
That’s it I think, covered it all, like I said at the beginning I have now experienced the resort and taking everything into consideration the resort is more than 3 star to me.
Those that chose to criticise are simply nit picking, I could have done that too, but given I was some 13 thousand miles from home in a country not as advanced as us and having a different culture altogether, it would be unfair for me to do so, basically if you want the comforts of home, stay there.
Thank you all at Tasik Ria for making my 2 week holiday the best experience ever, I will return to the resort at some point and understand that you are shortly to open a new resort in Derawan, so best of luck with that.
Andy Netherwood

Room Tip: Email the resort at time of booking
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank AndyNetherwood
Reviewed 8 May 2011

We have just returned from 14 nights in Tasik Ria and coming back to the real world has been very hard! If you are looking for 5 star westernised luxury then this isnt the place for you. However if you want to have a tranquil, relaxing, authentic holiday and feel like you are part of the Tasik Ria family then look no further, this is the ideal place.
Our room was 603 right on the sea front and it was an amazing view both for sun rise and sunset. The room was comfortable and adequate, tea and coffee making facilities along with a fridge and free fresh drinking water always available. The resort has beautiful landscaping, with a lovely pond and waterfall and the gardeners work hard to keep a wild but beautiful feel to the property and as a bonus some will give you local language lessons as well! The pool is lovely, clean and on the whole quite quiet in the day as most residents are off diving. The food is authentic, varied and very nice. The restaurant is very accomodating and did two special meals for us, one for our anniversay and the other for our last night. We also had amazing sashimi with fish from the local market, fish just doesnt get any fresher. We were very lucky to visit the local market courtesy of Dan the manager and Grace who, to say she runs the restaurant would not do her justice as she is a big part of the overall Tasik experience. It was well worth the trip as the local people are so welcoming and we actually felt like we were seeing real Manadon life. The spa is lovely and amazingly cheap, if I wasnt diving I would have been in there every day!
To cover the diving, well it was amazing, weird and wonderful! The staff at the dive centre are excellent they allow you to dive to your experience levels and only intervene if a) they need to provide assistance or advice and b) when they find things to show you, our dive guide Yannis had the amazing ability to spot the tiniest things which were incredible. The wall diving is fantastic, but the local reef diving is also amazing, I have never seen such unspoilt coral.
In summary I would go back to Tasik Ria, the only down side for me was the journey home which with a stop over in Singapore of 6 hours was quite long, however If it was a direct flight of 8 hours I would be ther twice a year! The resort is made by the fantastic hospitality and the amazing diving. Dan the resort manager is a gem, he works incredibly hard to ensure everybody has a great holiday and he goes above and beyond what you would expect in a resort.
I would definately recommend Tasik Ria and have nothing but thanks and praise to all the staff who made it very special for us.

Room Tip: e-mail before you arrive
Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank bettyb25
Reviewed 20 April 2011

We had a great 4 nights at Tasik Ria. Great service and food. Dan is a fantastic Manager always walking around checking on things. Great memories of diving at Bunaken and lounging around the pool.
Recommend the sea-view rooms.
Dive boats are a bit slow, compared to others I've used at Sipidan etc but well-fitted out and the dive crew were all very helpful. Cheers Jeffrey.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2011

Pros:

We arrived quite late in the evening and were greeted by the reception. Dan, the manager, greeted us as well and gave us valuable tips such as pre-booking our spa treatments before a big group arrived the next day, and checking in with the dive centre early in the morning to make plans for snorkeling. We did not go for the full board option as we planned to eat out for dinner.

The rooms are either pool view or sea view. Our room had a separate "hall" and bathroom area. The bedroom has its own door so you feel like you're in a little studio (no kitchen, though). There are no mozzies and the rooms are very clean. You may not actually see the pool from your room because of the foliage in the way but it's literally just a few steps from your front door to the amazing pool. The water in the pool is always warm and the pool bar is the best hangout in the day time. We had lunch one of the afternoons at the pool bar. They will bring food from the main restaurant to the pool bar.

The resort itself is very well planned. You can tell that they put in a lot of effort designing the resort and maintaining the landscaping. I think when the resort first opened, it must really have been breathtaking but it is showing a bit of age now. It is still very well maintained and taken care of. There's lots of service staff around and they are always smiley and helpful.

We are not divers and the dive centre did not make us feel any less special. We were the only 2 snorkelers on the boat trip out to Bunaken and we were treated with as much respect as the divers. All our equipment were prepared and brought for us onto the boat and we had a guide who swam with us as well. The snorkeling/dive sites are amazing. We went out on a cloudy day with slight showers and it was still fantastic. Food is included in the price of the snorkeling trip and it is a simple affair but adequate.

Breakfast is included even for half-board option and it is average. There's continental and also local dishes in the buffet. We had our lunches from the ala-carte menu. The food isn't fantastic (do NOT order the fish and chips) and it is quite expensive but unless you are willing to go out into town, you don't have much of a choice. For dinner, we went out every night. The hotel got us a Bluebird taxi and on their recommendation, we went to a couple of seafood restaurants close by (Nelayan and City Xtra). Good food and reasonable prices.

Now for the Cons:

Our first room was not properly cleaned - there was hair (of the curly and short variety... and aplenty) between the sheets. Although it was pretty late (I think around 9pm), we complained and the staff were very apologetic and immediately transferred us to another room. They were unaware of how the hairs could be there since the room was cleaned a couple of days ago. Hmm. Anyway, the second room was much cleaner - no hairs on the bed and no stains in the bathtub. However, the minibar snacks were stale. We made a casual remark about that to Dan the next day and he immediately replaced the minibar for free that day.

The spa. They have very nice facilities at the spa. It is a beautiful spa. But the services were a bit lacking. We tried the massage and ear candling. The ear candling treatment sort of hurt our ears because the masseur was rubbing a bit too hard and the massage was average.

One last complaint - when we checked out, we settled the bill and took their hotel transport to the airport. On the way, our driver received a call from the hotel because we hadn't been charged for our snorkeling trip! We were disappointed that it had been overlooked by the management and it did have us grumbling a little which is never pleasant at the end of a holiday. We had to look for an ATM machine when we arrived the airport to get cash to the driver for the snorkeling trip and that made us rush a bit for our flight.

In short, it was a very relaxing holiday since we did nothing but laze by the pool, swim, eat, sleep and watch tv (which I hardly get to do at home). The staff were helpful and Dan takes his job very seriously which is quite refreshing for an Indonesian hotel. I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends.

Room Tip: Try to get poolview rooms
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple