“Outstanding Service and Diving” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Tasik Ria Resort Manado
Ranked #6 of 44 Hotels in Manado
Houston, Texas
“Outstanding Service and Diving”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2011

Although the facilities could use a facelift, the staff of the resort more than made up for it. The rooms were comfortable and the food was good. The best part of the resort was the service by the staff. The bent over backward to do anything in their power to make our stay an outstanding experience. The diving is simply outstanding, and the divemasters were very experienced and knowledgeable. I will come back.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank William S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Dili
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2011

The resort needs a upgrade, specially the lobby and restaurant. But is very clean and the staff is great.
I had the opportunity to do my Open Water Course there. The instructors were all very skilled and attentive. Monica, Francesco and Nadine, all of you were great teachers. Thanks for the friendly support on my first diving experiences.
The diving sites in Bunaken are great: beautiful walls, giant turtles, small creatures.
Great value for money and an experience to remember.
A place to recomend and go back.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank FelgarDili
kent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

our second visit to tasik ria resort and we are glad we went back . we stayed for two brilliant weeks and from the day we arrived the staff and manager dan did all they could to make the stay excellent . from arranging some fantastic trips to the markets and volcano and the brilliant tarsier trip and the brilliant trip to buyat to dive some undived reefs to tasik divers allowing us to pick our own diving in bunaken and local reefs it was just great. dan green ( the manager) was more like one of our group always asking if all was ok and suggesting things to see and do . the sunset bar was a nice distraction at the end of the days activities where you could unwind with a nice cold bintang or cocktail. sometimes when he wasnt busy dan would come down and get his round in as well .good variety in food with a la carte and buffet on offer as well as the pool bar menu with the home comforts of pizza and burgers as well we loved it , we will be back !!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank dannik_9
Kent, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

Great resort and more so since the refurb. The staff are so friendly and really cant do enough for you. Dan Green, the Manager is very accomodating and again makes sure every guest receives a great holiday from arranging tailor made trips to buying the beers at the end of a days diving! Having been here before some time ago, I wanted to see what has changed, the decor in the cottages is in the process of being updated which is great although the rooms are fine as they were! The sun set bar on the Jetty is a great place to relax after a days diving or touring and the diving is just one of the greatest in the world! Great guides, fantastic, clean dive boats and great dive staff. More importantly, they have the best beds and pillows I have slept in!

Room Tip: Beach bungalows are nicer than the pool ones
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Acton MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

We visited Manado as our last stop after visiting friend in Makassar. We thought it would be a great place to relax and enjoy nature before heading back to the US via Singapore.
We picked Tasik Ria due to its solid reviews and quality of service, especially for diving.

As a dive resort, the operation is very professionally run. The boat and equipment are very clean and the dives are well organized. We liked that we could take the boat to Bunaken directly from the resort. Our family only snorkled, while the rest of the people in our boat scuba dived. We were impressed that we got our own guide, and it was a good thing because at one point my daughter almost got hit by a passing boat. The guide alerted the other boat to her presence. The guide also took us to some good spots.
Overall, the snorkling was excellent and worth the money!! (the day prior, we chartered our own boat from the public marina-- it ended up costing the same amount and we did not get to stop at different places) My kids thought the snorkling was one of the highlights of the trip.

The hotel itself is very pleasant. The pool is spacious and fun. My kids loved the swim- up bar--- although the prices were astronomical. If you are going to stay there for many days, I would definitely recommend picking up snacks and drinks at a supermarket on your way in. Sodas and beers cost about 5 times as much as they should. (a cocktail was 90K rupiah, which is way more than I would pay in the US!). I wonder whether the prices are geared more towards European tourists, who are used to paying more. Unfortunately, there are not a lot of dining options within walking distance to the hotel, so you are somewhat stuck there, unless you take a taxi into town. By the end of our trip, we were rather tired of heavy meals so we were happy just to have items from the a la carte menu. ([peanut butter and jelly sandwiches worked too) The restaurant/bar at the jetty is really pretty and relaxing.

The room itself was spacious, clean, and nicely decorated. (Pool view) I liked how they put one of the extra beds in the sitting area at the entrance.

The breakfasts were OK --- nothing special. I also couldn't help but wonder whether i got food poisoning from the rice porridge, which had been left out overnight and reheated. I noticed the second day that I had it, it was very runny and lukewarm. Suffice it to say that the flight home was NOT comfortable. To be fair, it could have been from something else, though.

One thing that kind of bothered me about this place was that I felt that they tried to charge you for things that should have been included--- and then they tried to convince you that you were getting a good deal. For example, they wanted to charge $30 a day for each extra bed. Then they told me it would only be $15 per bed for children and that I was getting a good deal. Same thing for the taxi. The room folder said the taxi to the airport for Silkair was free-- then they charged us 200K rupiah, stating that the "shuttle" (whatever that is) is free and that there was a cost, but the children were free and we were getting a good deal. In my two weeks in Indonesia, I rode a lot of taxis and was never charged per person--- only for the the ride. Go figure. Also, the day trips were VERY overpriced. $75pp for a Minihasa tour. Really?? For that price, I could practically fly to Bali!!! If you want a tour, I would recommend getting a driver. In Bali anyway, the going rate was $50 a day (as many people as could fit in car).

One more thing you should know--- Manado is known mostly for diving. If you are looking for white sand beaches, you might consider going elsewhere, as we did not find the beaches here appetizing. Scenery is pretty though.

I did try the spa. At the time, the massage was very good, However, the next day, my muscles were super sore. Later I read that if certain back muscles are not stretched along with others, then your muscles could be worse off--- I did find that to be the case:(

Overall a nice place--- if you are not diving or snorkling there is not a lot to do in the area without driving a considerable distance.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

It was my first time to Manado for diving adventure. I stayed at Tasik Ria for 6 nights and got sea view big room and clean. They got very nice restaurant with delicious food and big swimming pool with pool bar. There s also jetty with the bar where so relaxing for chilling out and having drink. Just enjoying the msuic and nice sea view. Staffs are very fiendly and manager always want to socialize with all guest. I got great diving experience in Bunaken and Lembeh Strait. The beauty of marine park and underwater life are so perfect as supported by tasik diver big boat with complete facilities. Excellent service by the dive guide and tasik divers crew to make my diving so enjoyable exprience. No worries of my dive gear as they will take care eeverything for me.
eventhough I m single traveller but never felt alone and lonely as they (tasik ria staffs) always become my good friends during my stay.

Tiur

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Kuala Lumpur
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2011

My room was a seafront cottage with an open bathroom - nice, with the sort of homely touches you associate with a midrange resort like Tasik Ria. The best feature of the resort, I found, was its staff - somehow, they all seem so familiar and friendly - like extended family. It's not just because Indonesians are generally very smiley and nonconfrontational, but the staff there really do seem genuinely sincere.

This made a huge difference in the experience, such as when I wanted to learn the local
Minahasan cooking - and was invited into the kitchen to help cook the evening's dinner, or the unsolicited visit to the local fish market nearby, where the manager, Daniel Green,
bought a fat tuna that was later served - without my prompting - at my dinner table grilled,
with some left over for sushi and drinks at the jetty.

One night we had dinner at the jetty, another on the beach and yet another by the poolside, a very welcome change from always eating in the dining hall.

The place itself is sprawling, and a little distance outside Manado - great if you just want
a quiet beach - Manado town is dusty and unattractive. Decor wise, the resort dates back to an earlier period and is best described as 'eclectic' but that also seems to fit the rather
relaxed, laid-back atmosphere at the resort.

Foodwise, the resort has a mixed selection but ask for off-menu items, and the restaurant tries to accommodate. Quantity wise, you can't fault them - as a tip, the local dishes are best.

Overall, Tasik Ria Resort really goes out of its way to make you feel welcome.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple