“a nice place to be”

Tasik Ria Resort Manado
Ranked #10 of 45 Hotels in Manado
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We were in this resort in the low season and we had the hotel almost only for us. The swimming pool was clean and the service at the bar pool was very friendly.
We stayed in the Gran Cottage Sea View, these cottages were recently refurbisched and are extremely nicely decorated and very comfortable.
Daniel, the hotel manager, and the chefs in the kitchen, spoiled us with extremely good food, which is an exception compared to most hotels, where the food is downgraded to european taste, which makes it tasteless and spiceless.
The girls of the Spa are so sweet!
The dive center could do with a better english spoken team, in order to avoid misunderstandings. Except this point, the team is very kind and professional.
We just missed a beach where we could lay in the afternoon on a strecher and watch the sunset.

Room Tip: Choose the Gran cottage sea view, they are fabulously decorated and are extremely comfortable
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Fran572013
There are newer reviews for Tasik Ria Resort Manado

Reviewed 21 October 2013

I stayed at Tasik Ria Resort for 5 nights in October 2013. The resort is spacious and generally quiet and peaceful apart from occasional traffic noise from the nearby main road. The sea view cottage I stayed in was very comfortable with a good standard of facilities and efficient AC – though the decor is starting to look a little tired. The jetty bar and restaurant offer a very pleasant way to relax and enjoy the sunset after a full day of diving.

The dive shop staff, boat crew and dive guides were all very friendly and professional. They take safety seriously and I felt very comfortable on each dive. There was plenty of room on the dive boat and the diving itself was great, as you’d expect from Manado and Bunaken, with plenty of variety during my 4 days of diving. Lunch and snacks onboard were good with plenty of tea, coffee and soft drinks to be had.

The one negative I had was that wifi is only available in the reception area.

Overall I really enjoyed the resort and would stay there again on my next visit to Manado.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Rob W
Reviewed 19 October 2013

This was my second time to stay at Tasik Ria. We enjoyed it so much the first time we wanted to stay again. We had a wonderful time. The resort is very neat and clean with a large pool and great Banana Mudslides! The dives were gorgeous and the crew was sooo helpful and went out of their way to make sure you had a great day and dive. They were great a finding all kinds of things to photograph. The boats are roomy and comfortable with a good lunch and snacks. Everyone at the resort goes out of their way to make sure you have a wonderful stay. Our return flights were a mess and the Hotel Staff and Manager got it all worked out and even took us to the airline office in town in order for us to be able to get our flights changed and to get home as planned. I want to thank them again for all their help!!!!!!! When returning to Manado I will definitely stay at Tasik again. Linda Kay Billen, USA

Room Tip: The rooms are pool view or ocean view and I have stay in both and found them to be great.
1  Thank Linda B
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We had a great five days here,comfortable rooms,good food,great diving.The boats and dive guides and sites were the best,wonderful under water world.I want to thank the manager of the resort (Dan) for helping us out of a tight spot.Thanks Charlene of Oklahoma City,Oklahoma.

1  Thank Charlene H
Reviewed 9 October 2013

My second time here. I love this place (even though it's on a sometimes noisy main road) and as before, the diving was terrific. The guides’ frogfish-spotting abilities were, as ever, spectacular, and the non-guiding, equipment-lugging, hot drink-serving crew were also delightful, cheerful and charming (though I might start charging for the impromptu English lessons). Hired a regulator (requested long before I arrived) but at first had difficulty getting one with a mouthpiece that didn’t cut my mouth to shreds. They had better ones (softer, silicon), but the dive centre manager said I’d have to pay extra for these. I assume my surprised/startled look was why he didn’t charge me extra in the end. If you need to hire a reg, perhaps take a couple of your own comfortable mouthpieces just in case….

My room was clean and comfortable + lots of hot water in a slightly shabby bathroom. Perhaps management could have a rethink about the scratchy brown duvet, as well as the brown sheets and brown pillowcases – a bit of a dreary, unwelcoming colour to sink into after a lazy day’s diving. Had the lovely big pool to myself on my off-gassing day, disturbed only by birds skimming for a quick chlorine fix.

Loved the food, and Dan, the manager, previously a chef in a significant fish restaurant in London, so he knows his stuff, will arrange Manado specialties if you want (why go to Indonesia to eat pizza?). Huge portions of eg yummy squid in black ink, even yummier fish in ginger and chilli. If you’re lucky, Dan will take or direct you to a nearby village for bubur, Manado porridge. Goldilocks would have loved it. There are variations, but it’s essentially a chunky vegetable soupy stew with other lumpy bumpy stuff to which you add spectacularly hot chilli sauce or blow-your-head-off chilli sauce and/or the juice of teeny weeny oranges that are staggeringly sour but that add a sensational buzz. Don’t suck on them for the first time on a hot date you’re trying to impress – you won’t look cute and endearing. But bubur is utterly delicious; don’t miss it.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 October 2013

We stayed there in Septermber for 4 nights. The hotel is big and had nice swimming pools, bars, and spa. Break fast and dinner offer more selection than usual small size diver resorts. Dining area on jetty over ocean is pleasant and bar area is also very nice to spend late afternoon watching sunset. We stayed in pool view room and our friend stayed at ocean view. Ocean view room however, is a bit far from beach. The rooms are a bit old but completely functional. Everyroom has facility to make tea or coffee. Shower and buthtub is nice.

For divers: Dive shop is professionally operated and their rule is that every diver has to use a dive computer, which you easily rent (don't know why other reviewer had such a problem with this!). Being Advanced Open water divers, my husband and I took the Nitrox course and our friend took the open-water course with the dive instructor,
Thomas. He is very honest and a professional instructor that you can trust 100%. One of the best we ever met!

Wednesday and Saturday the boat leaves at 8:00 am and does 3 dives in Bunaken (great wall dives - and look for the electric clam!) . Other days the boat leaves at 8:30 and they do 2 dives in Bunaken and 1 dive near the resort. Near the resort is however our favorite place as it is perfect place for muck diving. We also did a night dive near the resort and it was fantastic! Highly recommended!

Since the boat carries many divers, it is hard to cusomize your wish, but they do their best to accomodate it.
Dive masters are good at finding things in the water. We loved the spacious boat!! (two good toilets, upper deck for sun and napping; two ladders for re-entry, etc). On land, there is a camera room where you can take care of your camera stuff which was great!

Few minor things which can be improved: a pick up car did not have proper airconditioning. Especially Manado trafic can be so bad and you may have to spend more than hour and half in the car. Rooms are a bit worn-looking for the price, wifi only operates in the hotel main reception area, and the lunches on the boat was sometimes tasteless (maybe they forgot to load something on the boat?), although the sandwiches, snack and drink service was excellent!

Overall, all the staff are very nice and you will have a great dive experience and that is all that counts!

Room Tip: Some ocean view rooms seem to be far from the beach. We had a pool view but that was just as big as...
3  Thank SingaporeQueue
Tasikria, Manager at Tasik Ria Resort Manado, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

We appreciate your positive review. Overall it seems you had a great time here. In respect to the issues that you encountered, i am sorry to hear about the AC in the vehicle that collected you from the airport. We own the fleet and therefore it is up to us to maintain them correctly, this we normally do. i hope it was not so uncomfortable as to impact negatively on your stay.
The pool view bathrooms as mentioned before can be a little "tired"..this we are in the process of addressing and indeed have done so to our sea view rooms. The boat food, although local style tends to be of a high standard and tasty. I sincerely hope these issues will not affect your return as it does appear you enjoyed your stay. It will be our pleasure to be able to correct them on your return another time.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

My husband,my daughter and me spent 7 days in the resort including 4 days diving from 7 th to 14th sept.The room and swimming pool are clean, spacious, well maintained, friendly people, a lot of greenary . The food for the barbecue and buffet at the jetty are good. Nothing disturbing your calm holiday! Not to much people but we prefer that surrounded by too much tourist. If you want to go outside, they provide for you a taxi and visit the volcano - it was very interesting - or going outside for diner.
We try also the spa: a place of peace !
The diving school is one of the best we have ever visited. You feel yourself in a friendly family and the professionalism of the instructors are outstanding - we had never felt unprotected during diving with them.
It was very nice to share the boat all the family together husband as a diver ,mother and daughter as snorkeler. So we can enjoy to be together in this magical sea. We saw turtles and my daughter play friendly with it a long time, carefully and secure with a professional and kindly staff :) Special thanks to Thomas and Maki for a great diving and snorkeling experiences.
Thanks to Dan-the friendly manager- for our great holiday ! We would like to come there again for sure.

Room Tip: ask for the seaview bungalow
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank lapierle
Tasikria, Manager at Tasik Ria Resort Manado, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Many thanks for your very positive review. on behalf of the entire staff I would like to add that it is our pleasure to have had your family stay here and obviously have a great time. The dive team are very professional and are safety conscious yet fun. We look forward to your return.