“I like it!”

Tasik Ria Resort Manado
Ranked #7 of 45 Hotels in Manado
“I like it!”
Reviewed 12 July 2009

Service was very good - staff were polite and helpful. Food was well-done. Rooms were spacious and clean. Nice beach front. I like the swimming pool. Spa treatments were above par.

1 Thank Patmint

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
singapore
Reviewed 26 June 2009

Tasik Ria is a very nice resort with full diving facilities. All staff from front counter, dining place, gardener and dive crews are very friendly and they really go extra miles to ensure every guest is well taken care off.

Worth meantioning is the dive centre and their dive boats. It is the best designed dive boat I've ever seen in my 5 years of diving experience. Each diver has a dedicated area for equipment and towel storage. There are areas for cameras, fins, and other items. There is a place for everything and everything has its place on this boat. Divemaster are very experince too. They know exactly where to bring divers to show off the best of Bunaken.

All in all, I enjoyed my stay very much and many thanks to Daniel and Dan for everything they did to make our holiday a perfect one.

1 Thank ivinyew
Thalwil
Reviewed 13 June 2009

Looking for excellent diving with comfortable accomodation and good food? Tasik ria in Manado is a great place to start from.
Tasik divers are very good in showing you the best dive place where you can find special critters such as hairy frogfish, special nudybranches, devil scorpionfish, dorny seahorse, sea moth and others. For this, they will bring you to Lembeh Bitun (mukdive).
Or if you prefer clearwater diving, than they go to Bunaken because it is special for smal things like nudybranches, ghostpipefish, pipefish, pigmyseahorses and other stuff. Even if you are not diving you can come for great snorkeling or just relaxing enjoying the good food.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank mukies
Reviewed 13 June 2009

Just came back from Tasik Ria, and the resort was great. My friends and I were there for 8 days. We were given a package of 4 days diving and a highland tour. I must comment our highland tour guide, Cliff. His hospitality during the tour was out of the world, patiently explaining the queries that was put forth to him by us. He even helped to run an errand for us during his non-working day and ensured that we got what we wanted and giving us calls to keep us updated on the outcomes. The hotel staffs are all very friendly and helpful it, drivers who drove us out to town made sure language was never a barrier... ordering food for us, translating and explaining things to us... Everyone there wore a smile and it felt good to be there. On our departure day, the staffs gathered in front of our bus and sang a folk song which left us with an unbearable feeling to leave the place.

Some improvements are needed for the cooking there. Other than that, we had a wonderful time there.

The diving was awesome, our dive gears were surrendered and were found on the dive boat rigged up ready for action every single day. All we needed to do was to check the gears, put them on and leap into the waters. Their dive boat is great, everything is convenient on board. With experienced dive guides from Tasik Divers, especially with Nordy, we get to see everything at every corner of the walls, corals, sand... Lots of macros to take, abundant sightings of mantis shrimps, nudibranches and lion fishes, a giant resident Frogfish, turtles, the fire clam at Lembeh, octopus and many more... I had my most memoriable dives at the house reefs which is just 2 min boat ride from the Tasik Ria Sunset Jetty...

1 Thank lawzlim
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 June 2009

This is the first review i've written for TripAdvisor and whenever i've read previous reviews I've always wondered how much to trust other people's opinions when I have no idea if they're the kind of person whose opinions I would pay much attention to if I met them in real life. So for what it's worth, I am a 35 year old Guardian-reading Londoner who works in advertising. I'm a pretty well travelled, relatively experienced diver and have dived in places like Zanzibar, Borneo, Similan Islands, Tobago, Oman and Djibouti. That will either taint your views of my review positively or negatively but there you have it.

So anyway, I stayed at Tasik Ria for 5 nights in Apr 09 where I undertook my Rescue Diver course. Very friendly & helpful e-mail correspondence prior to going with the owner Daniel Gondowidjojo and the Dive Instructor Camilo Zuluaga already made me feel good about the place and indeed, both of these guys were superbly friendly and helpful throughout my stay. I should also mention the other Dan, the English guy whose focus seems to be primarily on looking after the guests and making sure they're having a good time - not in some overbearing, formal way but in a nice, laid back, informal manner that characterises this place.

The place itself is like a lush idyll, surrounded as it is in swathes of tropical forest. There are palms and amazing tropical trees, plants and flowers everywhere and they hide and shade many of the buildings and create lots of interesting windy little paths that connect the sea-facing villas, the dive centre, the swimming pool and the main building which houses the restaurant.

I had a sea-view room though the plam trees that line the front mean no view is completely uninterrupted. The room itself was great - very roomy and nicely done with the very welcome air-conditioning (it's very humid in that part of the world). The bathroom was the one down-note; pretty drab and a little cheap - but perfectly functional and didn't bother me at all - I wasn't there to spend hours in the bathroom after all.

The pool's pretty nice and has one of those bars at the edge which you can sit up at whilst still being in the pool, a la Wham's Club Tropicana video. The restaurant is ok - there's a pretty good choice of Indonesian, Asian and Western food. I didn't try the latter and stuck mainly to the two former which was always good though never amazing. The dining room is a nice setting, overlooking a very large tropical pond though is almost a little too big if you like a more friendly, buzzy atmosphere or jusr right if you like to be able to get a table away from others (it was never more than half full whilst i was there).

Of course, the main reason for going is the diving and on that front, you can't really fault the place. My Rescue Diver course with Camillo was spot-on (Camillo is a great guy and a great Instructor) and the Dive operation was generally run to a very high standard. The boats are pretty good, one tiny gripe aside about how hot the floor of the upper deck gets (it's bare-foot only on the boat and the floor actually burnt your feet - there is a shaded area though or you can walk on a towel like I did). Best of all was the Dive Operation itself (which the resort itself had just taken over on the day i arrived from a previous outside operator). This meant everything was brand spanking new - i had a brand new BCD and wetsuit (and regs too i think) - something i've never enjoyed anywhere and the dive centre itself was being completely redecorated whilst i was there - i imagine it now looks great.

The Dive Guides were all friendly and had amazing eyes for spotting the macro stuff. I had mixed feelings about the diving around Bunaken itself (which of course, is not something the dive operation can really control). First of all, it's worth saying that inexperienced divers may find it a little nerve-wracking - big drop offs and some pretty strong currents were the norm. The diving itself was great but given its repuation as one of the top sites in the world, I was a little disappointed. I know, I know - it's not an aquariam, nothing is guaranteed but we didn't see any big stuff as I'd hoped and that was a little disappointing. I couldn't help but compare Bunaken with Borneo's Sipidan Island which is the best place by far I've dived - i was expecting Bunaken to be its equal and it probably is and I was probably just unlucky but there you go - I certainly wouldn't advise people not to dive Bunaken because of my experience - it doesn't have its reputation for nothing.

One other thing worth saying that is less well known is that there is great muck diving on the mainland near Manado - we did a couple of dives there and the stuff we saw was almost as good as the stuff I saw in the Lembeh Straits (my destination after Bunaken). As Tasik Ria also organise trips to Lembeh Strait as well (it's a 2hr drive across to the other side of the peninsula), you might even consider not staying at Lembeh at all (though i had some fantastic diving there whilst staying at KungKungan). Which reminds me, Daniel even very helpfully got me a better rate at KungKungan through a travel agent friend of his - how many people would bother to do that? - just further testament to the brilliant customer service of this place.

So all in all, if you're into diving, this place is hard to beat. If you're not, then errr....why the hell are you going to Northern Sulawesi in the first place?

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank ohnobonobo
Reviewed 12 June 2009

We are a group of 6 divers that book the resort online and stay in the restort from 6 to 13 June 09. The staffs of the restort are always helpful and really go all the way out to ensure our stay in the resort is a excellent one. One of the staff (Ciff) specailly go and buy local tibits for us during his off day when we ask him where can we buy it from when we have tasted it and like it so much on the 1st day land tour and did not get enough for our friends and family back home.

The restort boss (Daniel) and manager (Dan), they will always there to ensure that you are enjoying the stay during meal time and give u good advice where to eat local dishes and good resturant if you choose not do dine in the restort. The restort also have difference themes for the dinner so that you will din in difference enviromen (sunset bar, pool side or din in area).

The Tasik Dive Centre which part of the resort is in excellent, they have good service staff and excellent dive guide (Nino and Yati, dive guide of us). They will always look out for our safety in the water to ensure that you are ok and look out for stuff for you if you are a photograher so that you will have good shot of the day. The dive site is full of small creatures especailly in main land. The Dive boat is big and comfortable to house all divers. If you choose to dive in lembel strait on certain day, it's can be arrange but just prepare to travel abt 1hr 30 mins on land to reach the place and another 30mins boat ride,

The slight dislike about the restort may be is the foods, altought they have difference theme and wide range but it is not very tasty which I believe it can better improves. Another disadvantage is it is far away from main city or town (1hrs, land travel), which you need to cater a bus if you want to travel to other seafood resturants or eating place.

Overall Tasik Ria Restort is a excellent and nice place for a divers to enjoy the stay and dive.

singapore
Reviewed 19 May 2009

Really friendly staff, always ready to extend a helping hand. Their experience helped us a lot during our trip. Thanks Tasik Divers!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends