“It's always nice to stay there”

JW Marriott Hotel Medan
Ranked #1 of 71 Hotels in Medan
Jakarta
“It's always nice to stay there”
Reviewed 27 January 2012

Despite the kocation that needs one to go around to get to the city central,a reliable taxi is always available
Other than that,they really deliver the quality they boast in their brand

• Stayed January 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Stayed at Club room with club lounge benefits in September 2011.
Very nice room design, layout, decor and materials used.

Club lounge is spacious, well layout and nice decor.
Can definitely relax your mind off at the club lounge.
Food for morning breakfast and evening cocktail is nice and tasty.

Staff very supportive.
Definitely will stay at this hotel again if back in Medan again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank TSI_DSG
Angsana
Reviewed 23 January 2012

The hotel is most definitely a 5 star hotel. I stayed there just after getting married and the room was great. The view over the city was amazing and the breakfast buffet was one of the best I have seen. I have seen a number of breakfast buffets in many hotels as I work in the hotel industry and as I said, this is by far one of the best. Even though I stayed in October, I am back in Medan (Jan 2012) and had dinner at Prime Steakhouse and Bar. The food was some of the best in the city and I know everytime I am in Medan, I will be having at least 1 dinner here.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Noosa, Australia
Reviewed 19 January 2012

We stayed in an Executive Room at the JW Marriott and this has to be one of the best value stays we've ever had at a hotel. We arrived after backpacking for ten days (albeit in decent hotels) and were greeted with real friendliness. The complimentary afternoon snacks in the Executive Lounge were a real meal - wine (which often costs up to $10/glass in Indonesian hotels) and beer included. The Matrabak Misr were an excellent main course while the desserts were excellent, including French style pastries. The room had everything you would expect of a Marriott and everything worked well. Breakfast was excellent (although the range, while very extensive, wasn't quite up to the Swiss Belhotel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank amp-qld
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 January 2012

My partner and I stayed here when we were backpacking, the hostels in Medan are not great, so when we found there was a Marriott, we enquired with regards to staying, and were pleasently suprised to find out how resonable it was, especially for a 5 star hotel. We stayed for 4 days before going into the jungle and it was brilliant, the rooms and service were amazing! The room was spacious and clean and uber modern, the gym facilities were exceptional and the infinity pool on the 17th floor was lovely and suprisingly quiet so there was always sun loungers available. The Breakfast was a buffet and included in the room price and there was more than enough variety. Its definatly the best place to stay in Medan.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Hi All
My first visit to Medan was to meet a special lady. I could not have picked a nicer and safer place to stay. I am not a frequent traveller so when I stay somewhere I like to stay somewhere nice. This is the only place to stay in Medan. The security is tight, the rooms are very clean and comfortable, the staff are friendly but unobtrusive. The cost is very reasonable. I booked one of their cars to collect me from the airport, and despite missing my flight from Jakarta, the driver waited for the next flight, even though I had no way to contact them. The only piece of advice I can give anyone is to request a room on a high floor. The traffic noise will keep you awake. Did I enjoy my stay? When I checked out I said to the lady that I now have another home. She was surprised and asked where that was. I said it was the Marriott. And to please book me in for my next visit. This really is the only place to stay in Medan

Room Tip: High rooms are the best
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 4 January 2012

Have stayed in this hotel a few times in 2011 due to business trips and I have to say that it's quite impressive for a city like Medan.
The rooms are very well laid out with everything you will need for anyone on work trips - good desk, good lighting, good plug points and (now) free wifi/internet for Marriott members. The shower/bathrooms are a good size and amenities are good. Very well thought of.
Ate a few times at the lobby cafe for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Good selection on both the menu and the buffet. Didn't try the steakhouse or the Chinese restaurant, but stopped by at the bar below the steakhouse and the service was good. Room service was good as well - a good selection and prompt.
A nice compact and fairly well equipped gym that is situated right next to the spa and the pool (didn't try either of them out, but the pool did look nice). Good amenities at the gym as well.
Maybe one little negative is that the business centre is fairly small, but the staff don't really mind that we conducted meetings in any of their food outlets.

All in all, a very good hotel for business travellers and I'm sure holiday-makers will enjoy the place too.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business