“The best place to stay in Medan!”

JW Marriott Hotel Medan
Ranked #1 of 76 Hotels in Medan
Reviewed 30 May 2012

We stay’d in Medan for 2 nights as a stop between Lake Toba and Bukit Lawang. There isn't much to do in this city but the Marriott hotel is a reason to sleep here for a night or 2. It is a beautiful hotel with a very nice infinity pool on a high floor in the hotelbuilding. You have a very nice view of the city.
The breakfast buffet is amazing, the best we had in Indonesia. You have a huge choice and it is just delicious. It’s more like a brunch we’re you can choose between a lot of dishes, some of them freshly made. When you visit Medan don’t hesitate and stay here! And as a bonus it’s really cheap!

In our opinion this hotel, Tip Top restaurant and the Tjong a Fie mansion our the highlights of Medan!

Room Tip: on a high floor
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,044)

Reviewed 29 May 2012

We stayed here on the last night of a four day trip to Medan and Lake Toba. We thought we might like a final night of luxury. That is what we got! This hotel is fantastic. We had a huge kingsize bed executive room and for about $A80 a night. It is in a sense predictable, a luxurious hotel, but that is what we wanted. It is walking distance to the main Merdeka Walk where you can try local food in an upmarket sidewalk cafe style format. It is a wonderful retreat from the heat and hectic traffic of Medan. The pool is fabulous (a long lap pool on the 17th floor) and the gym is the best I've ever seen in a big hotel. Stay here and indulge yourself.

Room Tip: any room is good in this place
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 May 2012

I stayed there last weekend for business and did my booking through travel agent.

I arrived at the hotel around 2 pm and requested for smoking room during the check in. Then the woman at the front desk told my that my room is not ready yet and I have to wait for an hour. So I went to the lobby lounge to did some work.

At 4 pm (after 2 hours of waiting), I went back to the front desk and ask the same woman about my room. And she said the room is not ready yet. After 2 hours. So I told her that she told me I just have to wait for an hour, and I asked her what was the problem? Then she gave me the key of room 1903.

I went to the concierge, took my bag and walked to the elevator.

Then suddenly a man ran towards me and asked me to step out from the elevator, because they gave me the WRONG key, since the 1903 room is already OCCUPIED.

Seriously? How COULD that happen??

They finally gave me the room 1803.
And the phone in my room is not working, they don't have in room wifi. Really? Marriott?? Really??

The next day, I walked out from the room and ready to check out. Then I realized I forgot some of my stuff in my room. Then I tried to came in to my room but the key was not working. FYI, I was right exactly in front of my room -- not even 5 steps away!

Then I asked the cleaning service boy if he could help me. But he said, "Maybe your key is already programmed to be locked at this hour". What the hell is that answer? It was only 11 am!!

Then I rushed to my friend's room, and I called the front desk from his room. Asked for a new key:
"Hello, I cant get in to my room, I forgot some of my stuff"
"Ok, we will send you the key"
"Don't you wanna know what is my room number?"
"Well, you called from room 1830"
"If, this is MY room, and i'm calling you from MY room, do you think I will call you and ask for MY room key?"

After I got my stuff and go to the lobby to check out, I told the front desk lady that I want to check out and I want to complain.

After I mentioned my issues. She was just nodded and said "oo.. ok, ok.. ok" "i see" without even saying SORRY!! And then there was another lady came and I told her the same thing and she was doing the nodded and the oks again without saying SORRY!! Then they just stood there looked blankly to the monitor for about 5 minutes. When I asked her "Then now what? Why should I wait this long for check out?"

She said, "We're checking what is wrong with the key"

HELLO?? I'm CHECKING OUT!! What's the point of checking out what the is wrong with my key??

Then I asked them "Is this how you guys handle complain from the costumer?"

Again, both of them were staring at my face and nodded "ok mam"

I left there FURIOUS and I swear I will NEVER stay at JW Marriott Medan again!!

Do you call yourself five stars hotel? Your service is the POOREST I ever been!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
13  Thank burgundylips
Reviewed 18 May 2012

It is strategically located in the heart of Downtown of Medan City. You can easily access to Medan tourist spots such as Masjid Raya, Gunung Timur Temple, Medan City hall and etc.

There is a supermarket just walking distance away. Besides there is some restaurants such as Pizza Hut and Sushi Tei for dining. If you are just want to stay inside the hotel, there are few lounges and restaurants that can serve for you. The food overall is nice and delicious especially the international buffet. There are some local delicacies for the buffet besides seafood, fruits and other meals.

Besides, you can have your room rates with SPA package such asswimming pool, gymn, sauna and jacuzzi. But the massage is not included. But anyway, the price is still reasonable compare to other 5 star hotels in other country.

You can have an aerial view of Medan City from the level of SPA. The facilities is awesome because not only includes all basic toiletries, weight machine, pyjamas, iron and etc. The plasma TV is big enough for you to watch international channels.

Their security is strict and it may a bit cumbersome for some visitors as whenever you need to go inside the hotel you need to go through a scan machine and checked by security guard.

Anyway, overall this can be considered the best hotel in Medan with elegant design.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 May 2012

Just spent one night on our way to Jakarta. The room is clean and facilities well maintained. Food (breakfast) caters to different tastes and habits. SPA-area contains of an outdoor-pool on the 17th floor (sufficient for swimming), chairs and tables for relaxation and some sauna and hot whirlpool inside. Would stay there again (also because of the friendly staff).

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 May 2012

Best hotel in Medan. Elegant design. Rooms are great, and i can take bubble bath with beautiful city view at night. Good restaurants. But i'm not sure why, almost everytime i go out and went back to hotel, the key doesn't seem to work, so i should update it again at the lobby.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 May 2012

We stayed here twice, as we arrived, then left for Lake Toba, and returned again for another 2 nights. Very nice airy hotel. A few problems with communication as the staff say they understand, but they didn't always - no problem, but they should say so, so I can try to explain again instead of thinking my requests had been dealt with.
Maintenance of the rooms is lacking a little, chipped woodwork, stained carpets, large marks on curtains and bed decoration - not a great first impression. Overall a nice room though, with a modern bathroom and an excellent bed, it was super comfy, and my husband who usually wakes with a bad back had no problems.
We booked the business package with wifi, breakfast and 6 pieced of laundry each included daily. Laundry service was super-fast, however we had 2 shirts ruined - burned with the iron! Breakfast is with beef bacon, chicken sausages etc. due to muslim religion and therefore not eating pork. Huge variety of breakfast though, albeit things like noodles, curry etc. Hotel is well situated, just a few minutes walk from the shopping mall and centre. However, it is soooo hot, it's much nicer to take a taxi or a Becak wherever you go. Minimum charge for taxi was 25000idr, roughly 2€, but lasts a while. We went to the mosque and palace and had the taxi on standy whilst we looked around, he then took us to the shopping mall, all for the cost of 50,000idr (5€). Back to the hotel review: Very nice pool, but the sun is only on it in the morning, so no relaxing in the sun in the afternoon. My husband said the fitness centre was very nice, too. There are sauna and steam rooms in each changing area, so no possibility of sitting in them with your husband/wife. Overall, a nice place, but starting to look a little tired around the edges. Still a good 4 star though, but I wouldn't say a 5 star.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple