“Not what I had expected...”

JW Marriott Hotel Medan
Ranked #1 of 69 Hotels in Medan
Duns, United Kingdom
“Not what I had expected...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2012

This hotel is extremely busy. It's the only hotel of any note in the city, and therefore is packed.
A personal thing, I hate packed hotels.
Granted, there was also a wedding during my two day stay, which meant lots of kids running about too, but it was busy.
3 lifts to service all 28 floors - at peak time I waited a while. Luckily, my colleague got upgraded to Executive suite level, so he could take me to the executive lounge for food and drinks.
This was deserted!
The pool is great, the gym a little tired.
Even though I had breakfast included, I never went in as the crowds were too much.
I didn't sleep well, as the noise from the corridor just comes straight into the room through the huge gap under the door. That and the ability to hear the bathroom above being used was not good.
I have never stayed at a Marriott hotel before - and may not again after this experience.
However - location is great and the rates are not at all bad.
Food and drink in the hotel are extortionate - go out, it's cheaper and better.
For those of you who smoke, there is a dedicated internal smoking bar area on the ground floor, as well as smoking rooms.
Wi-fi is intermittent, but each room has an ethernet cable. It's not free unless you are a JW Marriott card carrier.
All in all, it needs some cosmetic work in the rooms (screw the toilet roll holder on properly, for example) and soundproofing.
I may upgrade next time and see what the quality of sleep is like then. But it seems a shame to have to pay more for the service a hotel is actually there to provide...a bed and sleep.
We'll see, I am meant to be back in October...

Room Tip: Make certain you join the Marriott loyalty scheme so you can access the internet for free
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Blellum

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2012

I stayed for i night in here, and leave a deep satisfaction impression with it. love the room, very clean and neat. and complete room amenities. love the food. I tried room service menu, and its very good. I gift a high credit with breakfast menu, especially chicken feet and sausage I love it. I just can't describe any word about this hotel. you better try it.. I'm sure you'll have the same experience with me

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank AyuGuritno
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

Stay for 1 night on May 2012 on business travel, everytime I go to medan my first priority to stay are at this hotel. And everything is perfect as always. The room are clean and very comfort, bathroom are equip with standard 5 star hotel.
Hotel located on main street of Medan, unfortunadtely there are nothing to looking for around the hotel neighborhood, you have to take a cab to go to nearest mall.
On the other hand, because of this location, this hotel is very quite and is a perfect place to stay after my busy day. And If you want to go somewhere there are taxy available to pick you everywhere you want to go, just ask for it to hotel staff.
Fyi, Merdeka walk which are home of many Medan good food are around 5 min by cab, or 15 min walking. Airport is on 30 min depend on traffic.
The hotel itself are very well maintenance, the pool are so great, fitness room, spa are perfect.
Breakfast are superb, with many choice of food from local to western. And all are excellent, try lontong medan, hmmmm, or just some local cake...
Overall I just think this is the cheapest Marriot hotel in the world, hehehe, I would always be back again.....

Room Tip: Choose high floor room, and you will get the best scenery of Medan City
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

This is probably the best hotel in Sumatra, five star facilities and rooms. The menu is also good and varied with Western and Asian dishes. The front desk staff seem to take longer then average to check people in, I have stayed here twice and same thing happened each time, also heard other guests complaining. Also not having WiFi in the rooms in 2012 is a surprise, room service also got a order wrong but this was quickly rectified. Overall though, you won't be disappointed in staying at this hotel, on the corporate rate you can get a room for $70!!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

We stay’d in Medan for 2 nights as a stop between Lake Toba and Bukit Lawang. There isn't much to do in this city but the Marriott hotel is a reason to sleep here for a night or 2. It is a beautiful hotel with a very nice infinity pool on a high floor in the hotelbuilding. You have a very nice view of the city.
The breakfast buffet is amazing, the best we had in Indonesia. You have a huge choice and it is just delicious. It’s more like a brunch we’re you can choose between a lot of dishes, some of them freshly made. When you visit Medan don’t hesitate and stay here! And as a bonus it’s really cheap!

In our opinion this hotel, Tip Top restaurant and the Tjong a Fie mansion our the highlights of Medan!

Room Tip: on a high floor
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

We stayed here on the last night of a four day trip to Medan and Lake Toba. We thought we might like a final night of luxury. That is what we got! This hotel is fantastic. We had a huge kingsize bed executive room and for about $A80 a night. It is in a sense predictable, a luxurious hotel, but that is what we wanted. It is walking distance to the main Merdeka Walk where you can try local food in an upmarket sidewalk cafe style format. It is a wonderful retreat from the heat and hectic traffic of Medan. The pool is fabulous (a long lap pool on the 17th floor) and the gym is the best I've ever seen in a big hotel. Stay here and indulge yourself.

Room Tip: any room is good in this place
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

I stayed there last weekend for business and did my booking through travel agent.

I arrived at the hotel around 2 pm and requested for smoking room during the check in. Then the woman at the front desk told my that my room is not ready yet and I have to wait for an hour. So I went to the lobby lounge to did some work.

At 4 pm (after 2 hours of waiting), I went back to the front desk and ask the same woman about my room. And she said the room is not ready yet. After 2 hours. So I told her that she told me I just have to wait for an hour, and I asked her what was the problem? Then she gave me the key of room 1903.

I went to the concierge, took my bag and walked to the elevator.

Then suddenly a man ran towards me and asked me to step out from the elevator, because they gave me the WRONG key, since the 1903 room is already OCCUPIED.

Seriously? How COULD that happen??

They finally gave me the room 1803.
And the phone in my room is not working, they don't have in room wifi. Really? Marriott?? Really??

The next day, I walked out from the room and ready to check out. Then I realized I forgot some of my stuff in my room. Then I tried to came in to my room but the key was not working. FYI, I was right exactly in front of my room -- not even 5 steps away!

Then I asked the cleaning service boy if he could help me. But he said, "Maybe your key is already programmed to be locked at this hour". What the hell is that answer? It was only 11 am!!

Then I rushed to my friend's room, and I called the front desk from his room. Asked for a new key:
"Hello, I cant get in to my room, I forgot some of my stuff"
"Ok, we will send you the key"
"Don't you wanna know what is my room number?"
"Well, you called from room 1830"
"If, this is MY room, and i'm calling you from MY room, do you think I will call you and ask for MY room key?"

After I got my stuff and go to the lobby to check out, I told the front desk lady that I want to check out and I want to complain.

After I mentioned my issues. She was just nodded and said "oo.. ok, ok.. ok" "i see" without even saying SORRY!! And then there was another lady came and I told her the same thing and she was doing the nodded and the oks again without saying SORRY!! Then they just stood there looked blankly to the monitor for about 5 minutes. When I asked her "Then now what? Why should I wait this long for check out?"

She said, "We're checking what is wrong with the key"

HELLO?? I'm CHECKING OUT!! What's the point of checking out what the is wrong with my key??

Then I asked them "Is this how you guys handle complain from the costumer?"

Again, both of them were staring at my face and nodded "ok mam"

I left there FURIOUS and I swear I will NEVER stay at JW Marriott Medan again!!

Do you call yourself five stars hotel? Your service is the POOREST I ever been!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business