“Good Hotel”

JW Marriott Hotel Medan
Ranked #1 of 76 Hotels in Medan
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I am very glad to experience a wonderful stay in JW Marriot Hotel in Medan and the staff are great and so friendly.
Room is clean and well layout
However, wifi connection is not up to standard.
Otherwise, good job.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Management T, JW Marriott Medan at JW Marriott Hotel Medan, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Thank you very much for your review.

We are delighted to learn that you had a wonderful stay with us.

We apologize for any convenience you had on the wifi connection.

The Management of JW Marriott Medan

Write a ReviewReviews (1,046)

Reviewed 27 October 2013

According the room and service, well JW marriot hotel is really have a great standard. So I can't complain anything about that.

But I gave 2 thumbs up, according laundry service - I gave 3 pieces my clothes and I get return the neat and clean clothes plus Rp 260.000,- Base of the staff explanation - they found the money in my pocket's short. Even I did not remember I put some money to my shorts.

The breakfast is okay, various option and delicious too.

But my concern is about WIFI - they should give Free WIFI in the room, instead only free in public. Especially nowadays free WIFI is a must for "bad" signal in our room.. I did not get a good signal for my 3 providers telcom.. thats terrible, I need to go to lobby for sending mails.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Management T, JW Marriott Medan at JW Marriott Hotel Medan, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Thank you very much for your review.

We had delighted to learn that you had enjoyed your stay with us.

We would like to address your concern regarding our WiFi connection that is actually available for free for all of our Marriott Rewards members, of which registration is also free. You can go to our Marriott Rewards site to register or contact our Front Desk Agent during check-in (term & condition apply). Free access to WiFi connection is also available in our Public Areas including our restaurants and lobby lounge.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

My partner and I recently stayed at the JW Marriott in Medan. The hotel has very tight security and cars are bomb checked and guests put through security before entering hotel. Our room was on the 25th floor which provided an amazing view of Medan. Our bath was next to the window allowing you to have a city view while bathing. The staff were wonderful and I could not fault this hotel If you stay there you must eat in the Jade Restaurant as it was one of the best meals I have ever eaten.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 October 2013 via mobile

Anyone who has visited Medan will know of the hustle and bustle on the streets and how crazy it is as you drive along the streets. To find an oasis such as this hotel in the middle of this city is both thankful and alarming at the same time. Thankful fort this piece, quiet and luxury, but alarming that you can afford this whilst millions surrounding you live in such poverty. This hotel will offer you beautiful rooms, excellent restaurants and first class service throughout. I would not hesitate to stay there again

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Management T, JW Marriott Medan at JW Marriott Hotel Medan, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Reviewed 14 October 2013

I gave a more than positive review, yet now that a problem has come up that value seems no where to be found. On my prior visit I had no hot water on the morning I left early to the airport, and I complained about it at the front desk on my way out the door to catch an early plane. I was told by the front desk that I would receive an email concerning this situation. No email came(Value?). I concluded that I may have been unable to get hot water because wasn't operating the hot water knob properly(?, but maybe?). Then in a quick decision, my wife and I decided to take our kids here again to the Marriot to see the Orang utans near Medan,and what happens, I cant get hot water into the bathtub for my 4&5 1/2 year old daughters. I complain, and a maintenence guy shows up and presto - hot water comes pouring out. Now either Im an idiot, or there was no hot water until someone turned it on after my complaint? Why, I could speculate, After living in Indonesia for 8 years, I will say that this is not surprising at all.
The manger was going to call my room aboutt no hot water, but I only ended up talking with him, after I called back many hours later.
I was offered an upgrade in rooms, which was vey generous, but there was a catch - no connecting rooms, which is what I have(Im in my room now writing this review). That was No Sale.
I was offered Executive lounge privileges(which would have come with the upgrade) but I said no, the executive lounge is not for kids - My kids would not like it, and the folks who have paid for that level of service would not appreciate kids there anyway.
I simply asked for a solution that worked, and what I got was a series of phone calls that just wasted my time, and when I asked for that to stop, I got a personal appearance from a manger with a maintenance employee asking to hear my story again. Then more calls and more employees coming to my door.
This may sound like they were trying and I was refusing, but really, I know the level of service that the name JW Marriot represents, with a personal experience at the Marriot Marquis in Manhattan NYC, Where the level of service was was literally beyond the call of duty. At this point, I would also Like to commend Marriot for the courage to venture into Medan, an area that is not without decent, even good hotels, but to really break ground in the high end market.
Marriot has, in my opinion, has undertaken a big challenge, to bring this level of service, which would include Integrity and Excellence to this part of Indonesia.
At this particualr Marriot, my situation was met with perfect top down management, The manger Dimas, who was my point of contact, would listen to what I had to say , report to his superior, and then do what he was told, which really just disregarded my request to be left alone until a workable solution was found, instead I got calls and visits until I just said no more- I will write my review of the situation here, and then do what I could to pass this up the line to the main office in Bethesda, MD..... in the end I took no comps of any kind -all I wanted was hot water in the first place.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Management T, JW Marriott Medan at JW Marriott Hotel Medan, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Dear Mr. Paul K,

Thank you for your review.

It is through your comments that we can continuously improve our service.

We are committed to provide the best possible service to our guests in the city of Medan.
Since your check out, we have serviced the bath tub once again, making absolutely sure the hot water functions properly.
We apologize if our efforts to make sure everything was in order inconvenienced you in any way.

As per your conversation afterwards with our Director of Rooms in the lobby on Tuesday afternoon, we do hope your concern has been resolved.

Please don’t hesitate to contact us directly upon your next visit. (mhrs (dot) mesmc (dot) dor (at) marriott (dot) com).

We would be delighted to welcome you and your family again to Medan and to personally take care of any arrangements.

Warm regards from the JW Marriott Medan

Reviewed 9 October 2013

A beautiful hotel but even for Indonesia the prices are prohibitive. Hard bath towels, and for a so called 5 star hotel no fruit in room upon arrival and no wine either. An empty mini bar for the stay.
Restaurants - there were 3 and all are excellent and the very best thing of the JWMarriott are the amazing wonderful staff - 100% in fact so good 101% !!!!
Obviously as it is Medan and choices are limited, easily from what I heard - the best hotel in this city. Adored the Museum for Wild Animals - a must when visiting.

Room Tip: Stayed high up in hotel on the 25th and 27 floors from memory - amazing views.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

Dear Valued Costumer,

Thank you very much for your review.

We are delighted to learn that you had enjoyed your stay with us.

We apologize for any inconvenience occured during your stay, your feedback is greatly appreciated for our improvement.

Thank you for having chosen to stay at JW Marriott Medan.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in our hotel sometimes in the future.

Reviewed 5 October 2013

The JW Marriott Hotel is the most visible hotel in Medan city as it over-towers the surrounding buildings in the vicinity.

I recently travelled to Medan for a business trip (my 4th trip in the past one year) and had the chance to stay in JW Marriott again. It's always a joy to stay at this hotel as the service is great from the moment my booking is secured (a welcome email which asks me to state my preference for airport transport to pre-booking for spa treatment) till I checked out.

The hotel room is comfortable and I'm always assured of a good night's sleep. The room is conveniently equipped with ironing board and a steam iron which is great for business travelers. The pressing / laundry / dry-clean services are also affordable.

The hotel facilities includes a gym, an "infinity pool" (which I'm unlikely to use due to my poor swimming skill), spa and a few F&B outlets within the hotel. As there are lots of good food options in Medan, I usually dine in for the breakfast and eat out at other places for lunch/dinner. For those who enjoys massages and would prefer the convenience of enjoying the treatment within the hotel - do try the hot stone massage (about IDR 450,000).

If there's anything that's not so great, it must be that the toiletries in the room are not very appealing to me and so I always prefer to bring my preferred brands of toiletries.

I cannot comment much about the vicinity of the hotel given that I'm usually in Medan for business trips and the office that I go to is the B&G Tower which is connected to the hotel. It'll probably be easier to hire a driver to get around Medan than to rely on taxi or walking.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Management T, JW Marriott Medan at JW Marriott Hotel Medan, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

We are delighted to learn that you had a pleasant stay with us.

Thank you for having chosen to stay with JW Marriott Medan and we look forward to welcoming you back again sometimes in the near future.