“A welcomed haven”

Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan
Ranked #5 of 74 Hotels in Medan
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

Medan was our last stop before we went home after spending 2 nights on Samosir island and many many hours of driving. Dusty, exhausted and out of touch from civilisation the past 3 days, arriving at Grand Swiss brings much relief.

Front desk office were polite and helpful. Our room was on the 21st floor. Excellent full length windows that gives a sweeping view of Medan city. Very clean and modern. Tv had a variety of channels. Water pressure from showers is excellent. Bed is large and comfortable. We had a good cleanup and a much needed comfortable sleep and rest. Wi-fi was slightly slow but ok. Managed to whatsapp, upload pics and vids.

Buffet bfast at the Swiss cafe had a good selection of asian and western spread. Cambridge mall is within hotel complex so if u want Cbtl or Starbucks, J-Cos or even Ya Kun Kaya Toast, just pop over. Sun plaza is about 10mins of walking. For the Muslim ladies, the popular Dian Pelangi boutique is across the road. :)

Staff, from front desk to bellboy (helped put our luggge in our room while we head down to the money changer) to concierge and waitresses are polite and helpful. Definitely first class standards. Good job, guys. Amidst the chaos in Medan, this hotel is a welcomed haven. We will return.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anna Sue A
GSBM, General Manager at Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Warmest Greetings from Grand Swiss Belhotel Medan!

Thank you for choosing Grand Swiss Belhotel Medan as your preferred accommodation during your visit to Medan, and for sharing your kind appreciation with us!

We are so much delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

We are most concerned with the satisfaction of our guests and your feedback is of great value to us. It allows us to ensure and improve the quality of accommodation we want to offer our guests.

Your comment on the service level provided by our staff is most gratifying and will be shared with the whole team.

It was certainly a pleasure for us to be at your service and we all look forward to welcoming you again at Grand Swiss Belhotel Medan.

Management of Grand Swiss Belhotel Medan

Reviewed 19 December 2013

The Beljotel was a godsend. We had just spent some time on Sumatra and had to leave through Medan and wanted to 'freshen up'. Walking into the hotel was like walking into another country. And by the time we arrived here, it was needed. The beds are extremely comfortable. And if you are high enough up, you don't have to notice that you are in a luxury hotel in the middle of Medan (which is far from luxury). A nice touch for the hotel is the connection directly to the shopping centre. You don't need to go back outside. I know that sounds bad, but I had honestly had enough at this point, I just spend days hiking in the northern jungle. The edge restaurant was decent, but I would have liked to see some local influence in some way, it seemed like any restaurant that could have been anywhere else in the world- although this is probably the main feature, for those that want a break from Sumatran foods. The View music lounge was excellent. The room was great, although a little small (if I wanted bigger I could have paid more). I have absolutely no complaints. And if you head down to the mall- my two tips are to go to Excelso Coffee and try the kopi luwak coffee from a siphon brewer (nice touch), and get some funky donuts to take to your room from J.Co., especially the Durian.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Warmest Greetings from Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan!

Thank you very much for taking your valuable time to post your comments on Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan.

We are very pleased to read that you had an excellent stay with us. It is gratifying to read that you particularly value our hotel, room, facilities, services, our The View Lounge and Bar and found the location to be convenient for your needs. It is encouraging as our guest's satisfaction is our primary concern.

We thank you very much for your patronage and look forward to having you back with us at Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Great location within the Cambridge Plaza with good access to franchised restaurants in Cambridge Plaza that except the supermaket in it there is nothing more in this Plaza. But with a taxi waiting in front of the hotel, it is easy to go around with in the city. Once again the room is small, lobby is small ( but good Christmass Decoration) and the gym is not well maintained.
Once again it's not up to the 5 stars standards. It's almost the same price as JW Marriot Medan.
One thing to note is that this hotel has a great staff and they are generally very friendly.

Room Tip: Please go for a super deluxe room or the one with 32 square meter as the one we stayed was very smal...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
GSBM, General Manager at Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Warmest Greetings from Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan!

We would like to express our deepest gratitude for your kind support towards Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan.

It is most gratifying to read that our valued guests are fully satisfied with the products and services that we offer.
Your comments on the service provided by our staff are most gratifying and will be shared with the whole team. Thank you for your kind appreciation to us.

It has been a great pleasure for us to be at your service during your stay with us.
We hope to have the pleasure to welcoming you again during your next visit to Medan.

Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

A very nice and convenience hotel. Very good service. They will try their best to help you on your request. Car service arranged by hotel - price reasonable, effective & on time. Satisfy with their service.

Toilet - very perfect design.

Bed - comfort, soft & clean.

Facility - next to mall, can get whatever easily

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Warmest Greetings from Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan!

Thank you very much for taking your valuable time to post your comments on TripAdvisor regarding your recent visit to Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan.

We are very pleased to read that you had an excellent stay with us. It is gratifying to read that you particularly value our hotel, room, facilities, services and found the location to be convenient for your needs. It is encouraging as our guest's satisfaction is our primary concern.

Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

Very strategic location. Next to Cambridge mall, which offers nice foods and within 5-10 mins walking distance from Sun Plaza.

Also just stone throw away from Restuarant Garuda, the famous Minang food (though I think it's nothing great and over priced).

Wifi in room works perfectly. I stayed on 18th floor and the lift could easily be pain in the as*.

Medan train station is also 5 mins drive away (without the traffic of course). Tips: the Beca charged me 40k while taxi only 25k (minimum payment but actually fare was only 12k) - I would go for taxi next time!

Staff was especially helpful. Especially a lady named Efi.

Overall, I am very satisfied with this hotel.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
GSBM, General Manager at Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Warmest Greetings from Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan!

We are delighted to learn that you had an excellent stay with us and particularly value our hotel.
We are very pleased to read that you appreciated assistance of our staff, it is always encouraging us to learn that our guests are satisfied with our services as it is what we strive for everyday.

Your kind words have been passed on to our teams and particularly Ms. Efi who made your stay a pleasant one. This will certainly motivate her to keep up the good work.

We hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again soon in Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

I travelled with my parents and two young kids, We were happy and think the stay was satisfactory.

Room- nice room, clean and confortable. Equiped with almost all the things you need: kettle, coffee & tea, fridge, drinking water, toothbrush, shampoo, soap, hairdryer etc

The double bed is queen size, it would be great if it is King size

Check-in & check-out- Fast check out but we spent quite some time there (maybe 20 mins) because I have requested 2 non-smoking room in my hotel booking but seems like that do not have enough. Finally I accepted 1 smoking room and they upgrade 1 room from deluxe to ? (they said they have upgrade it from my original booking), but I didn't see the difference after upgrading. The room after upgrading is not bigger. The smoking room I accepted is a corner room (room no 10) and it is bigger.

wifi- in-room wifi was good, high speed. But only 1 password was provided and allow only 1 user each time.

Facilities-
i) pool- Nice pool, with a see through pool (for adults) and a kids pool. The kids poo is quite deep, it was the deepest kids pool I have ever seen. Normally the kids pool I have seen are as deep as my kid's knee, but this one was until her chest (she is 2 years old). I guess the pool depth is about 50cm. Be very careful if you allow your kids playing in their kid's pool.

ii) fitness centre- looks good. Just next to the pool
iii) massage/ spa- price looks reasonable.
iv) sky bar- I visited the place, looks great but I didn't consume anything there
v) no kids club

Breakfast- Very good. wide range of choices.

Location- Great location, it is located at the same building with theCambridge shopping mall with many restaurants. Many restaurants there like A&W, Haagen Dazz, starbucks, coffee bean, Duck king, baskin robbin 31 and many local chains. The hotel is also near to Jl, Majopahit if you want to buy the favorite layered cake and Bika ambon.

Not walking distance to the tourist attraction like merdeka walk, Palace maimoon, Tjong A fie mansion, masjid raya, Jl. Selat Panjang (street with many street food), but it is not far by taxi.

Room Tip: You hv too stated in your booking if you need a non-smoking room and it is STILL SUBJECT TO AVAILABI...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
GSBM, General Manager at Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Warmest Greetings from Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan!

Thank you for choosing Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan as your preferred accommodation and we sincerely appreciate you taking the time to inform us of your experience during your recent visit in Medan.

We are very pleased to read that you had an excellent stay with us and particularly value our hotel. It is always encouraging for us to learn that our guests are satisfied with our products and services as it is what we strive for everyday.

We value your concern on the depth of kids pool. This facility is based on our current structural building design and thus, not many major changes can be done right now. However, kindly rest assured that it is our commitment to keep on improving the standard and quality of service and facilities for our valued guests.

Thank you very much for your patronage and look forward to welcoming you and your family again at Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

I am back in this hotel for the second time.

The bedroom and bathroom were very clean and comfortable - good housekeeping team. Just that I do noticed that the toiletries had somewhat changed....maybe due to budget?

Breakfast was still good...and there is a mall connected to the hotel via level 1, where you could get plenty of eateries and groceries shopping. I tried dinner too, excellent. Thumbs up for the restaurant team.

Staff were still great and friendly. Checking out was a breeze while checking in was met with slight delay - booked under my business counterpart's corporate account and unable to find my name, nor certain of my booking privileges. Nonetheless it was resolved fairly quickly with their manager's assistance.

There are still areas for improvement which I think would make this hotel 5 stars:

1. Lifts waiting time. It was still a very long wait during peak hours. The hotel should consider allocating the lifts to serve certain floors during peak hours to avoid long waiting times and congestion.

2. Internet kept logging off and what is most frustrating was the user ids expired very quickly for no apparent reasons (even though it is supposedly valid for 48 hours usage etc). However, requesting for ids and passwords were very fast and efficient. But I wished that I did not have to call up every now and then to request for new ones.I was also given three ids (for my devices) during checking in, and none worked.

3. The business table in my room had very poor wifi reception. The speed was horrendously slow and frustrating!! Cant work at that table. Further, my floor is a business floor...hence no excuse for this poor reception.

4. I was not aware that hotel guests could use the gym facilities at the mall next to the hotel. Instead, I went to the very small gym room in the hotel itself, which was rather poorly equipped. No towels, no water.

5. I requested for an iron, but was given a faculty one at first. Recommend for housekeeping to check that irons are working properly before giving it to your guests for safety reasons too.

Will definitely stay in this hotel again. However, please continue to maintain the amenities and uphold the service excellence. It was an excellent hotel during my first visit but this time seems to fall a little short of my expectations. Hope it will be better during my next stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank HoteLExpat
GSBM, General Manager at Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Warmest Greetings from Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan!

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to post your experience on TripAdvisor during your recent visit to Medan.

We are very pleased to read that you appreciated the hotel facilities, assistance and friendliness of our staff and enjoy your visit in our hotel. It is always encouraging for us to learn that our guests are satisfied with our services.

Your comments have certainly raised many areas of concern that need to be addressed and will inspire us to strive harder in servicing our future guests.
We ask for your kind understanding and assure you that your comments have been value to us to provide the best possible standards to our guests at all times.

It was certainly a pleasure for us to be at your service and we all look forward to welcoming you again soon to the Grand Swiss-Belhotel Medan.