Grand Aston Cityhall Hotel & Serviced Residences
Ranked #5 of 69 Hotels in Medan
Sydney, Australia
“Wow”
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Now I don't usually stay in 5-star hotels, but this is probably the fanciest place I've ever stayed. For the price I paid I honestly wasn't expecting such luxurious surrounds, and after just spending 6 days on a jungle trek, it came as a bit of a shock. I was greeted with a surprise welcome drink on arrival. They gave me a smoking room, but with the atomiser, you could barely tell. The room itself was great - very clean, nice decor, nice view, comfy bed, rain shower. Service was great - impressed they remembered my name. Free use of the sauna/jacuzzi/pool facilities, which are very well maintained. Had a really good 2 hour massage at the spa. Excellent location - close to food and shops, only 15 mins from the airport. Lost my debit card somewhere in the hotel, but that's my fault. Had a few communication issues with the operator and front-desk staff when trying to make a reverse-charge overseas phone call, but again, that's more my fault as don't speak any Indonesian. Would happily stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank JungleMary

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Indonesian first
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I spent six night in this hotel in central Medan. Everything about the hotel worked well together. There was a good range of meal and bev options; my corner room had plenty of space and was well kept; the pool and rec facilities are highly recommended; and they had a great concierge arrangement. A minor problem with the room was fixed promptly and without any trouble. Located at a main intersection, opposite a popular strip of outdoor venues, with enough noise to feel the life of the city without being disturbing. Just 15 minutes from Polonia Airport, with plenty of taxis around.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Nick7255057
Jakarta, Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Grand Aston City Hall is one of the best hotel in Medan, and probably the best one for the fitness and relaxation facilities. I and my family stayed there for four nights and found everything really great. The service was quite personal (everyone there tried to remember your name), and the rooms were very clean. We asked for two connecting rooms, one with double bed and the other with single beds, and they could provide us exactly. I was satisfied too with the food's quality for the breakfast buffet. The variety of the spread was good, ranging from local delicacies to European desserts. Everything's delish! What satisfied me the most is the fitness club. It has state-of-the-art gym machines, clean locker and shower area, good-conditioned sauna and steam room, and hot and cold plunge pools. The sauna and the pools at the hotel are really safe, as sometimes gay activities occur in those kinds of area. Overall, Grand Aston City Hall is vey excellent!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in higher floors!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Giovanni G
Medan, Indonesia
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Grand Aston is one of the five star hotel in Medan. Staying one night there and really enjoying the breakfast with many food choices and fresh drink juices. Beds were good and the air conditioning worked well. The Room is also clean and wide. But the staffs were average.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Bali, Indonesia
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Medan is the third largest city in Indonesia. Visiting big crowded city like Medan make me need a place to get relax and rest in a proper way. Fortunately my business partner booked me a room in Aston City Hall. It was Perfect, located in the heart of Medan, in front of Merdeka Walk. The Staff was very helpful, Especially one of their front office officer name Raniesta Hutasoit. But i think they should add more staff in charge when hotel fully book, because respond to call to any department was very slow even when i called for order a wake up call and i should wait nearly half an hour to get my check out proceed and to get help from the room boy.
The room was great, clean and spacious. they also had a variety of pillow that the guest could chose.
the Breakfast was OK, with some local food but it had little varieties day by day. They did great, when i ordered takeaway breakfast. They gave me two big box of NASI GORENG with full condiment. It was surprise and i am very appreciated it.
Staying in Aston city hall was a nice experience for a newbie like me when visit Medan. Sure i will recomended Aston City Hall to everyone who plan togo to Medan

Room Tip: ask for the room in the higher floor since this hotel located in business area and the room facing...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Harinatha
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed 29 May 2013

We stayed at the Grand Aston for Chinese New Year 2013. A couple things struck me. I used to stay at the Marriott but found their prices had gone up since my last visit. The Grand Aston seemed to offer good value.
Firstly the down side. Breakfast was not as good as the Marriott. Hot food should be hot - not barely warm. Not everyone wants to eat local foods. One thing the Marriott does well is the variety of Western breakfast. Go down and have a look at how they do it. Breakfast needs to be improved. Not everyone wants tea or coffee. I like a hot chocolate. The Marriott had that on my table in 5 minutes. The Grand Aston took up to 10 minutes and in the early days of my stay were thoroughly confused. During my stay the miltary were also staying. This caused every other guest local and Westerners to be treated very poorly including locking out lifts. This needs to be better managed in future. The security for vehicles was tighter at the Marriott - the checks were better. It is harder to just walk into the Marriott. The Grand Aston is much more open. The pool is nice but on one night they ran out of towels. I had to argue with the gym to get towels for our group. It should not be hard to supply towels - we were not leaving the hotel with them. Asking for my room card is unacceptable. I am a guest - give me a towel. The room safe failed to work and even after a manager coming up to fix it, it failed again.
NOW HAVING SAID ALL THAT HERE IS THE GOOD NEWS:
It is a very clean and well presented hotel. Despite the breakfast issues, the staff were pleasant and did all they could. It is almost like they are learning about Western likes. The location is fantastic being right across the road from Merdeka Walk. The rooms are well maintained. Try and get a corner room to get a view of two directions. For longer stays or with kids go for an apartment. Because the hotel is set back from the road, the traffic noise is almost non existent. Room service is excellent and the overall level of service from the staff is second to none.
So would I stay again--- absolutely. The Marriott has priced it self out of the market for me - for my visit they were around 25% more expensive. I have family in Medan so I am a client who will be going to Medan for at least another 40 years three times a year. A great value hotel that I recommend and now my Medan home

Room Tip: Get a corner room overlooking Merdeka Walk
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Richard H
Medan, Indonesia
Reviewed 12 May 2013

The reception services was bad.
I was there on company outing. And when they noted that we are on company outing, their service dropped to 2 scale from 10.
What? The company paid for the room, so we don't deserve any good services?

The breakfast was ok, not much selection but ok
What I like the most is the swimming pool. It is under shade, so we won't feel the heat.

Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
GrandAstonMedan, General Manager at Grand Aston Cityhall Hotel & Serviced Residences, responded to this review, 16 May 2013
Dear Ms. M. Kartini,

First of all we would like to thank you for staying at Grand Aston City Hall Medan.

Thank you for giving a valuable feedback and comments during your stay in our hotel.
I have shared you have experienced to our department concern for a better quality service given to all our customers in the future.
In the meantime we are developing to improve the breakfast menu variety and food quality in our restaurant and other outlets.
Ji Long, our Chinese Restaurant would have been one of our famous F&B outlets, full combination of Chinese menus, the creation of our Chinese Chef from Shang hai.
Once again thank you very much for the comments and looking forward to welcoming you back to Grand Aston City Hall Medan.

Sincerely yours,