“My favourite place to stay in Medan”

Grand Aston Cityhall Hotel & Serviced Residences
Ranked #4 of 72 Hotels in Medan
“My favourite place to stay in Medan”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I've stayed here a couple of times. This place is almost perfect with the service and food was great. There also a clubbing place at night. It was near Merdeka Walk which is just in front of the hotel. Will be back here again later.

• Stayed May 2014
GrandAstonMedan, General Manager at Grand Aston Cityhall Hotel & Serviced Residences, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Mr. HanWitargo,

Thank you very much for the kind words. I’m glad to hear our service and facilities meet your expectation. I do really hope to welcome you again at Grand Aston City Hall Medan.

Best regards,
Rizky Dermawan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Indonesian first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Utilised airport pick-up and drop-off services. Punctual and pleasant journey both ways.

Check in was a breeze although I believed the lady in charge (Orca/Orsha - can't remember her name) can be a bit more friendly and speak slowly. Instead of informing the hotel facilities i.e., where's the elevator to the room, where the breakfast to be served, WiFi etc... she only explained there are rules to the hotel and you will be charged accordingly if broken. Those rules are (if I can remember) 1. don't pull the mattress from the divan 2. no smoking in non-smoking rooms 3. don't bring durian into the room 4. room keys must be returned upon check out.

We stayed during the weekend and there were functions going on. So unfortunate since only 2 lifts were in operation (although they are three lifts). We have to wait for a longer time to go down - in fact we have to "hijack" the lift going up first. The management should have done better.

Other than the above, every thing is good. The room is spacious. Shower is clean, with sufficient amenities. We got the room on 8/F facing the Merdeka Walk and nice view. Bed was comfortable and clean sheet. And there is a free WiFi - a big plus :-)

The daily breakfast was just so-so. Same menu for the three days we were there. The congee was too thick in my opinion and they don't know how to do half-boiled eggs!

The spa at 3/F was great. Hot pool, cold deep, dry sauna and steam room - a must experience!

Hope the management can improve the areas above since those are within their control. Am pretty sure any one stays there will enjoy as much as we did.

Room Tip: Request for higher room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank DeenHanafi
GrandAstonMedan, General Manager at Grand Aston Cityhall Hotel & Serviced Residences, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Mr. Deen Hanafi,

Thank you for taking time to write us this review. We are delighted to know you enjoy most of the facilities we have. My apologize for the lift because there was urgent maintenance at that time, I'll also make sure improvements on the check in process and breakfast will be made by the time you visit us again.

Send my regards for your family and hope to see you soon!

At your service,
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Stay for 1 nite on my way back from Toba,thank you to priscilla from reservation,Hermika from FO and to Ivan from msg support,there all so awesome...will be back again,only one thing need to improved is the concierge service,need more training i guess overoll i will Be BACK again..

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
GrandAstonMedan, General Manager at Grand Aston Cityhall Hotel & Serviced Residences, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Dear Calvin B,

I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! Priscsilla, Hermika, and Ivan send their greetings to you. Thank you for mentioning about the concierge service, I'll ensure they are well trained.

Waiting to welcome you back again!

Warmest Regards,
Reviewed 7 May 2014

good building good room and good view, not also good service, try to dinner at spoon dining restaurant, i ask for grilled fish with dabu-dabu sauce when they serve on table looking good, but how about the taste? oh no, the taste of fish is too salty, not good, and i tell to waitress about that, and he tell me about who cooking my dish on a way to home. verry dissapointed, expensive but no good.

Room Tip: go for launch or dinner outside, don't ask any for beverages and food.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Maries S,

Thank you for addressing the unpleasant dining experience you had the other day. Our management will add more training schedules to ensure all of our staffs follow the standards we have, every each of them in all department accordingly.

Ms. Maries S, we hope to see you again during your next visit to Medan.

Best Regards,
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

The location and position is very strategic and easy to reach anywhere, also near to get into railway station which is bring us to the airport. A lot of facilities such as the spa which very nice and lovely with good price!

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Kokonu,

Thank you for the review! Yes, we are located right in the center of Medan which allows easy access to any part of the city. We hope to welcome you again soon!

My warmest greetings to you and your family.

Regards,
Vaasa, Finland
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Stayed there a few nights on business.
Standard is okay. Rooms are spacious and the hotel is relatively new. Definately one of the best I have experiences in Medan and I have tried many hotels in Medan.

Breakfast is average, the variety is okay selection but the quality could be higher.

The reception presonnel was very frienly and efficient on check-in as well as on check-out. Special thanks to Widya!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear CoatedCircle,

Thank you for your review! I will send the messages to Widya. We are in process for upgrading our breakfast buffet and will take respond to your review. Did you try our 'Lontong Medan' at breakfast time? its one of the guests favorite stalls at Spoon Dining.

Once again thank you for your review, Hope to see you here again soon and please send my regards to your family!

Warm regards,
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

1 . Room
905 room is good room and have best view. But the bathroom door is dirty. I think housekeeping is not clean well

2. Front desk service
They are profesional frontdesk officer.. They are helpfull and always smile when serve the guest ...novi, irma and emy thanks for your smile when i arrive and give best experince in this hotel

3. Spoon restaurant..
Och damn.. I lost my mood for breakfast cause the chef gunawan give the answer of my question bout the sambal.. I ask eggsambal were empy in the yellowrice corner.. He's not refil the sambal but he show me another sambal like we are eat at street food.. Very poor attitude... The worst chef i ever met....

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Fiqie
GrandAstonMedan, General Manager at Grand Aston Cityhall Hotel & Serviced Residences, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Pak Taufiq Ismail,

Warmest greetings from Grand Aston Medan!

Thank you for taking the time to make these comments to us to help us improve our services. We have taken direct action on the bathroom door room # 509.

I have already investigated the sambal incident at Spoon dining (breakfast time) It seems it was a missed communication from our chef as he thought you were asking for 'sambal' instead of refilling the 'Egg Balado Sambal'. My apologies for inconvinience caused

Thank you for the compliment for front desk staff and for sure we will continue to maintain our standard. My regards to your family and see you again!

Regards,