Grand Aston Cityhall Hotel & Serviced Residences
Ranked #4 of 75 Hotels in Medan
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Fourth visit to the Grand Aston. Very clean and professionally presented. Great location and close to the airport train station. Across the road from Merdeka Walk. Only one complaint though. The hot food at breakfast is barely warm. There is not enough variety of western food either. Otherwise a great place to stay. The serviced apartments are great for family visits. Highly recommended

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the pool. Pay the extra for a premier deluxe
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
GrandAstonMedan, General Manager at Grand Aston Cityhall Hotel & Serviced Residences, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear Richard H,

Thank you for your recommendation! I have taken notes and will follow up with team for the food temperature at breakfast time. We will also look into having additional western items in breakfast cycle. See you here again soon!

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I frequently visit Medan for business and have stayed at this hotel for the past few years as it continues to serve my purpose for a very good night sleep. Location of the hotel is ideal--both for business and leisure; Well mixture of modern & historic aesthetic; Very well equipped with Gym & Sauna facilities; Good food; Friendly staffs; and very well developed infrastructure for internet & communication.

Nevertheless, would like to point out a couple of things to the management of the hotel: [a] The deteriorating quality of bathroom--especially on the shower room; [b] Hotel administration--of which have been well elaborated from the previous reviews. Hotel management should be more receptive on peak hour when guests would normally check in or check out.

Would I continue to stay here? Definitely.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
GrandAstonMedan, General Manager at Grand Aston Cityhall Hotel & Serviced Residences, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear 4ri4,

Thank you for your review and thank you for being with us for the past few years :) i will definitely take an action on the reception peak hours and perform a better and faster services. We also have a Deep Cleaning program for bathroom, each room once in a week. We all awaiting for your next trip to Medan and please do not hesitate to contact me should you need my assistance.

My regards to your family and see you here again!

Cheers!

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Impressive hotel from the moment you walk in. Amazing breakfast. Close to 2 shopping malls and an area which is nice in the evening. Pool and sauna were nice. However, no mixed sauna (I'm not used to that). Also water at sauna was either to hot (37 and 41 degrees c) or to cold for me (1.2 c). But this are all minor details. Had a very pleasant stay and stayed one night longer than planned. A

• Stayed: May 2014
GrandAstonMedan, General Manager at Grand Aston Cityhall Hotel & Serviced Residences, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Martijnder Noordwijk,

Thank you for your review, We appreciated it! I hope you enjoyed our breakfast signature 'Lontong Medan' as well :) I'll discuss the water temperature in the sauna and will inform our third party sauna operator.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for your next visit and see you here again!

Reviewed 23 May 2014

I made a reservation for one night stay for my partner due to urgent business matter. I stayed with him all the night. We went through check in process smoothly and love the way the greeter greeted us with smile and complimentary drink. Also the bellman was willingly to help us while we don't have so many baggage.

It happened to be the best cozy feel ever as the corridor music is really peaceful and I believe it was carefully selected music. I love the surrounding, the staffs are friendly and always smile. The room are the best, We can see the scenic view of Merdeka Walk and the whole city. we stayed in Deluxe Corner room with twin bed.

Well, that's really are an amazing experience for me. They have free WiFi on almost all of the public area in the Hotel. We had a free buffet breakfast that morning but yet still some foods are not the best I think. It was somewhat plain flavor for me. And also I don't really feel right about them were charging guests for lost key cards. Other than that, overall is awesome.

If happens to cross again, I will surely recommend Grand Aston Hotel to my business partner. Bravo!

Room Tip: Ask for Deluxe Corner room. Remember to ask password in case you need Internet access
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
GrandAstonMedan, General Manager at Grand Aston Cityhall Hotel & Serviced Residences, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Dear Klaudius R,

Greetings from Medan!
I am glad that you found it well. Yes, we are carefully select each of the song according the time from morning to evening and each of them will create cozy and peaceful ambience :)

Thank you for the breakfast notice as well, we are upgrading the menu, taste, and will have new buffet table set up, hopefully by the time you come again will be more satisfying

Once again thank you for your review, my regards to your family, and see you here again!

Reviewed 21 May 2014

I think a lot of people have already commented about how good this hotel is, how great the room is, so I just want to add in that they really have a world class gym in this hotel ! It is big, spacious, and they have a bunch of equipment which you can't even find in a normal gym. I mean, don't get me wrong, the room is also great, but for me personally, I don't mind coming back one day just to have a gym session in this hotel.
That being said, the breakfast was also good. Great variety of food, delicious local delicacies. Looking forward to come back and stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank adrianwn
GrandAstonMedan, General Manager at Grand Aston Cityhall Hotel & Serviced Residences, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Dear andrianwn,

Glad you take time to explore the gym! I am glad to hear that our facilities fits you well. We are looking forward to welcome you back again!

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 21 May 2014

It was a pretty new hotel in Medan when we were staying there in December 2013 for about a week. Everything was clean, service was good, plenty of choices on breakfast buffet. Price was cheap for this five star. We got it for about AUD75 a night. The only drawback that we had was the room next door was eating durian inside their room. The smell was all over the entire floor which we stayed. The hotel should be more strict about this.

Room Tip: Tip the front desk.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Jun A,

Greetings from Medan! Thank you for taking time to write us a review. By our policy, bringing Durian and Mangosteen into the rooms is not allowed and penalty will be applied for any violations. I apologize if the smell caused you discomfort. We will pay more attention to this matter.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

I walked from the airlink station to the hotel. It is very close actually.
It was my first time stay in Aston, but I was very surprise for it surroundings. Just move to the opposite of the hotel, and you can get into Merdeka Walk and have some food and fun there, especially in the Saturday Night.
The hotel staffs are very helpful and friendly. I love all facilities in the hotel, especially the bright room, wifi, and the bathroom. Really want to come back to Aston!

Room Tip: Find a promo time to get discount rate.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Scouter F

Dear Scouter F,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed staying with us. Kindly visit our website for promotions.