“poorly service handled by the staff”
Review of Alpha Inn

Alpha Inn
Ranked #61 of 73 Hotels in Medan
Penang, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
“poorly service handled by the staff”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

the staff at the dining area were rude to us..
they were late in serving breakfast, perhaps they just prepared us with very simple menu's..
they even monitor the food and they wont let us take anything to eat freely..

overall, this hotel is not a nice place to stay..
the room also were leakage everywhere and it small in size..
it looks like a scary place to stay.. they even did provide us with the proper soap, toothbrush for our convince...

Stayed May 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Indonesian first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 4 August 2012

We stayed here twice and had an excellent experience both times. The rooms were big, clean and a good value for $25 a night. The LCD TV, wi-fi and air conditioning all worked fine and the shower had a good supply of hot water.

The location is not ideal as there aren't a huge amount of food options nearby, but it's a very cheap becak drive to SM Raja where there is a little more happening and few more options to eat/drink at. It is also close to the Northern bus station and 30 minute becak drive from the Southern bus station.

The staff were extremely helpful and even gave us info about the buses to Banda and helped negotiate decent becak rates for us!

To be honest, Medan has pretty slim pickings unless you want to fork out the cash so this is definitely the top pick!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main road
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sezbo_25
Nonthaburi, Thailand
Reviewed 28 July 2012

I booked this hotel via an online agent with the rate in USD. When I arrived at the hotel, I found the rate USD-IDR was too expensive. After negotiating with hotel staff, we settled with the cheaper rate and I paid in full with my credit card.

When I received my credit card statement, there were 2 charges made to this Alpha Inn Hotel. One was the amount we settled but the other one was not. I contacted the hotel and they said they charged more for the difference between the settled rate and the original hotel rate. I explained that I have negotiated and settled in the amount I signed in the payment slip. I also asked them to refund me the unsigned transaction otherwise I had to report to my online booking agent and file a dispute to my credit card bank but they refused and told me to do so if I was not satisfied.

I finally filed a dispute to my bank and got a refund back.

Speaking of the hotel, the price was not expensive. It's not very far from Polonia airport (around 10-15 minutes with no traffic at late night).There was free Wi-fi router in each floor. Breakfast included was basic. I booked 2 standard double rooms and 1 deluxe room. The standard double rooms were really very small with no windows. Bed in the room occupied almost all the space. The ensuite bathroom was not clean. I recommend to go for a Deluxe or Superior for more space and windows with a small extra cost.

Do not get into a taxi in front of the hotel, it's old and you will be overcharged by the driver.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Medan hotels

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 24 September 2011

If you guys want to stay in an affordable and comfort hotel, this is it. I'm staying in a superior room, and cost me 250000 rupiah per night(approximately 30 US Dollar). The room is clean, everything in the room are new, and guess what, there is a flat screen LG tv in my room....
I have been stayed in other cheap hotel but this hotel really satisfied me. Hot water and wifi are not really satisfied tho, but overall are good.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple