“Value for money”
Review of Grand Sakura Hotel

Grand Sakura Hotel
Ranked #14 of 76 Hotels in Medan
Reviewed 16 September 2013

The hotel is very clean. We are satisfied with the room and the bathroom provided. You can ask for the hotel shuttle to the polonia airport for a cheap price. The wifi have a low connection. The breakfast is quite okay. The hotel service is excellent. Well, it is more than what I've expected when I first book for this hotel at a cheaper price.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank nurul_nazurah

Reviewed 8 September 2013

My wife and I stayed here 2 nights. We chose the hotel because the price was right and the hotel description, pics and reviews look acceptable.

It is located in a quiet part of the city and there was not much around within walking distance. We had a standard double room, the lowest priced. The room was spacious but the window opens into an air well, which did not bother us. The Wifi and AC worked great and the bed and bathroom were very clean. The complimentary breakfast was basic local fare, just OK and nothing more.

I went to the front desk a number of times for help. Once to change money and another time to ask for help to fix my key so I can use the elevator because it did not work with the key they gave me. Both times, they were very unattentative and seemed to be more interested in what they were doing than attending to me. They made me feel like I was bothering them.

I really liked the price, the cleanliness and spaciousness of the room, and the amenities in this hotel. Just because of the way the front desk behaved, I would not stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John T
Reviewed 6 September 2013 via mobile

Wow! I loved my room. The bed is huge..and comfortable especially after a long day of flight. Its located right in the middle of the town and easily accessible to facilities. We took a train from the international airport from Kuala Namu which costs us 80000 rupiah each and took about 30 minutes to arrived at town railway station. Then we took a taxi which is about 5 minutes ride and distance about 2 streets ride away to reach the hotel. The hotel staffs are well polite and proffessional as this is more of a business hotel catering for meeting function. We also arrange a car plus a driver to go to parapat and lake toba from the hotel business centre.

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank Jaunesk
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I have not nothing negative to say about the rooms or hotel facilities itself. The rooms were fairly priced and the staff (Reception & Concierge) were very friendly. The only minor let down was its location. Though if you have any means of getting around Medan then this would not be a problem. There is a huge grocery store just 5 minutes walk from the hotel. The In Room Dining food was average and a bit pricey, but that is normal in any hotel.

However when I mentioned that I was staying at this hotel to a number of the locals, quite a few of them told me that this hotel is best suited for the "single males". Though this did not really bother me.

I recommend this hotel for those travelling with friends, solo or for business.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 August 2013

When I mentioned I was staying here to my local Indochinese friend, he laughed and said it had a notorious reputation when he was in high school b/c other students would bring their "B****es" (as in prostitutes!) to the place b/c its sort of out of the way (as in discreet and very clean). HOWEVER, I never saw anything unusual (there were cameras in the place) - one needs to have realistic expectations about Medan accoms and this is the closest decent "budget" accoms you will find. BUT I was not happy that the Internet was not working at first as they were apparently laying cable in the area and there weren't many places in the city with wi-fi (McD's at Merdeka Walk had it).

Otherwise, the room was big and comfortable and the food/service in the resto was not bad BUT service was the usual "relaxed" standard that one gets accustomed to when traveling in Indonesia. The hotel is also not exactly in a great location but I could walk to Merdeka Walk in about 15 minutes while being mindful of the open storm drains (probably not a good idea to wander around at night). Otherwise, you will need to deal with cabs and tuk-tuks or bemos or whatever (and prepare to pay more if you aren't with a local).

Room Tip: Had no issues about the room as it was big and clean - a good "budget" option for Medan.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 July 2013

We stayed at Grand Sakura for our one night stop over in Medan.
The staff were generally friendly. Our room was spacious and clean, however the bed linen felt overused and was pilling.
Generally, this was an acceptable place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 May 2013

This is my 2nd visit within 3 month to sakura hotel.This time ,i travel with group of friends.The main reason i come back to this hotel is because of the excellence experience in ours first visit which we really enjoy and happy with the service provided.unfortunanly this time around we dont felt the same, whereby the room cleanliness was drop. Bedsheet was stained and not change,rooms with musty smell,towels are brownish , one of my friends room no kettle and cup,some working order issue ( bulb fused ) ,amenities not being replanish, and we have to wait more than one hours for our food orders through in room service.i have to say that , the service are drop compare from my first visit.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends