“Great staff, but whether you like the room depends on what you want”
Review of Sultan Homestay

Sultan Homestay
Sultan Homestay
Ranked #15 of 37 Speciality Lodging in Medan
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Here's some important info about sultan homestay, ad the photo they use to advertise is quite misleading. The staff is super helpful and friendly. It is located in an area with many budget hotels. There is free tea, coffee and mineral water available all the time, as well as wifi in the lobby. HOWEVER, as far as the rooms go, it is important to note that most of the rooms don't have windows, and the coupe that do face a very busy street. I didn't sleep all night, even with ear plugs. Also, the rooms all have shared bathroom. The rooms and bathrooms are clean. So,if you're not troubled by noise or by a windowless room, it's a good place to stay.

Room Tip: If you like to watch the action on a busy street and aren't bothered by noise, ask for a room wi...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Sultan Homestay

Reviewed 21 May 2013 via mobile

Medan city is not really a nice place to visit so people usually stay just overnight and treat it as starting point for their Sumatra experience. Rooms are clean, with shared bathroom on each floor, though the ones with balcony overlooking the street might be quite noisy. Free wifi in the lobby, friendly staff.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Nice and helpful people. Cheap dorm rooms but dorm room needs a door as you can hear the noise from the reception area. Free basic breakfast, tea and coffee. Right near Masjid mosque. Quite far from the bus station but they can arrange transport to nearby places in Medan.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Medan was indeed a good place to be and where to stay in Medan?
I strongly suggest people to stay at Sultan Homestay !
Reason is because location is strategic, you can see the iconic mosque and it is less than 2 mins walk from the hostel, plus around the hostel, it is the best place where you can get anything like food and etc.
Eri is the best staff (owner) and he tried his best to ensure that your stay would be great !
Such a great warm opportunity, he will assist you everything :) Good job Eri!
I took a tour organized by this hostel to Parapat - Lake Toba - waterfall - Berastagi - Medan with Eri and another friend and it was really good trip ever! We did it just one day.
I stayed at the single room and it was spacious and I really love it!
Overall BEST place to stay with no regret!

Room Tip: Pick the single room :) If you want the aircon room, it's good too! It's affordable :) Emai...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank VictorFabulous
Reviewed 19 March 2013

I didn't actually get to stay here, but I really wanted to.

I arrived without a reservation, and the place was full. There are only 7 rooms, so it's a good idea to book in advance, if possible.

Eri, the owner, was super friendly and helpful. He suggested a couple of other possibilities for my lodging (and even offered to go over with me to check the places out). He invited me to hang out and to use the wifi I wanted to. I don't know if he really expected me to take him up on it, but I did!

The place where I ended up staying was just around the corner, and it was clean. But it was pretty empty and didn't have a lobby area, so I went and hung out in the front/lobby/common area of Sultan Homestay.

I was in Medan only overnight to get a flight out the next day. Eri gave me great advice about what to see and where to walk around during my limited stay. He was also very helpful about the best and cheapest options to get to the airport. And he was nice just to chat with.

Of course, I can't comment on the rooms, or the noise level (in the rooms) from the 5 AM call to prayer from the neighboring mosque. But I understand that the other backpacker places are right around there too, so I wouldn't expect them to be quieter.

I wish I could have given Eri my business because he was so helpful and pleasant. But the next-best thing I can do is to encourage others to (I do!).

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 February 2013

We stayed here for two nights. The nights were seperated because we went to lake toba and bukit lawang in between. The owner gave us the same room when we came back! Which was really nice.

The homestay is green which makes it colourfull, the place itself is really nice. Not great, but nice. In the lobby you can watch tv, it's always on HBO so you can watch some movies. You can also by beer or soda;s.

The room is good enough, not huge but good. It has a twinbed, closet and a fan. We didn't had window but that not that bad. Because the musquitoos don't came in your room!
it has a shared bathroom with a western toilet and cold shower.

But it for a good price, just 70.000rp and the Mosque is around the corner! And you don't hear it when you are in your room!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Patriesh
Reviewed 10 February 2013

My room had clean sheets and the most comfortable bed I slept in on Sumatra! The rooms are pretty basic, but comfortable and cheap. The best thing about Sultan (besides its location next to Masjid Raya) is the staff. When my friend wanted to get durian, Eri, the (owner? manager?) didn't just tell us how to get there - he got on the opelet with us and came along!!! I'm sure this place has got the friendliest staff on Sumatra; it's a calm place to be in a chaotic city.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo