“Planet of the Stunned”

Soechi International Hotel
Ranked #62 of 74 Hotels in Medan
Reviewed 7 May 2012

The Soechi is what's left of a Novotel, so physically, the layout isn't bad. You get a large room with a decently-appointed bath, at least on the non-smoking floor. Then, it begins.

Actually, it began when they spent 10 minutes being unable to find your reservation while you stood there sweaty and exhausted. Finally, you lean over the counter, and there it is,on the reservation page right in front of them. They're amazed!

Then, they give you one electronic key for a double room. You call down for another, so if one of you leaves, the other doesn't have to sit in the dark, and they say it will be right up. No it won't! A half-hour later, you go down to get one. You succeed, but it won't work on the elevator. Another half hour is needed for them to finally produce one that works.

You return to your room and bathe, then call to find out when the supper buffet starts. The desk doesn't know. They connect you to the restaurant, 30 feet away. The restaurant will never answer.

Finally, you decide to arrange onward transit with the concierge, and get the buffet details on the way. Despite a huge sign promising many services, there's nobody at the concierge office. Finally, a young girl appears, and you start trying to arrange transport to Lake Toba in your pretty-fluent Indonesian. She quotes you a price 50% higher than what you know to be right, and won't bargain. So you try to arrange a taxi to a travel agent 5 minutes away. She can arrange a hotel taxi there, but can't arrange having it wait while you pay for the Toba transport and come back.

Finally, exhausted from a brutal travel day, you agree to pay her ridiculous price. You hand over your hundreds of thousands of rupiah, and she nods, smiles, and sits there. Finally, you ask for a ticket or a receipt. She seems amazed. Then, she starts opening doors and shuffling through them at random. After several futile minutes, she decides you can pay tomorrow. You leave, uncertain that you've actually arranged anything.

Meanwhile, your partner is trying to make an international phone call, following the instructions on the phone. It doesn't work. She calls the desk to make the connection. They can't make it work. After a half hour, they decide maybe they should involve the actual hotel operator, who does make it work.

You decide to hit the buffet, so you go to the room safe to lock up your valuables. It doesn't work. You call the desk. Someone will be right up. No, he won't. After twenty minutes, you go down and fetch someone. He fixes it.

You go down, and find out that the buffet isn't really a buffet, so you order a la carte. The non-smoking section is a tiny corner of a big room full of smokers, so you savor the fine flavor of second-hand smoke. The food sucks anyway.

You go up the 10 floors to your room, and just as you get in, the power goes out. It stays off for 20 minutes. What if it had gone out a couple of minutes earlier, when you were on the elevator? What if you'd been between the elevator and your electronic room lock? Why does a hotel with hundreds of rooms not have an instant-on generator?

In the morning, you go down for a surprisingly good buffet breakfast, then check to see about transport. The same "concierge" in the "business centre" looks at you like she's never seen you before, but when you re-explain what you want, she produces a ticket book and her notes from 12 hours before, and you finally confirm your escape.

Then, they try to overcharge you by 80% despite calculating the bill on their computer. After the fifth time you demonstrate to three cashiers that 3 plus five doesn't actually equal 16, they reluctantly concede the point.

You escape at last, and the hotel's driver is the worst you've ever seen.

Do yourself a favor. Avoid Hotel Soechi, unless you want to be at the mercy of the stupidest outfit since the most recent Bush Administration!

Room Tip: Choose a room in another hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bima77
Andy D, Manajer Hubungan Tamu at Soechi International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2017

Dear Mr Bima

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on your stay with us.

I was most disturbed to learn of your disappointment on your recent stay with us. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused and be assured that we will thoroughly investigate all matters concerned and corrective measures will be taken where required to ensure no repetition in the future.

I thank you for bringing the matter to our attention, giving us a chance to rectify our shortcomings in our continuous effort to improve and maintain our standards of service to our valued guests.

I look forward to meeting you personally on your next visit to Medan. I can be contacted anytime

Reviewed 4 April 2012

Ive been here some 5 times, The hotel itself ints ok, but it old! The toilets cleaningless leave a bit to desire as well as the rooms sometimes! The problem is again.... The staff! TERMENDOUSLY INCOMPETENTE!
Only the duty manager speaks a little english! All the other staff.....Foruet about it
Every other time you need to change room because somthing is not right!
The food is TERRIBLE and expensive! Just try to ask for a "timderloin" and you will be surprised, alltough you will pay for one, you will get the WORST steak of your life, the only thing reasonably good is the breakfast!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Dear Mr Antonio A

Reviewed 27 December 2011

Just an average hotel with good value for money if you don't intend to spend time at the hotel like we did. Breakfast was fair. No major issues.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends

To Mr.lynd_anwar

Greetings from Hotel Soechi International Medan.
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience while staying at Soechi International Hotel Medan and also for the award given to the hotel.
It is our duty and pride to serve you.

Top attention and cooperation
We thank you, hopefully this good relationship still established with good and mutual benefit.

I look forward to seeing you personally on my next visit to Medan.

Greetings,

Reviewed 11 November 2011

It is supposedly located at Chinatown area. However, it was Hari Raya Haji holiday when we were there and the shops were all close and very quiet. So there is very little to explore. The facade of the hotel looks presentable without its name prominently displayed. Instead the name of the anchor-restaurant - KIM CHU ORIENTAL RESTAURANT catches the eye when we first arrived.

The drive way to the hotel is difficult for our tour bus to park so we have to walk to the entrance.

The upside of the hotel are: (a) a nice breakfast spread including delicious mee-hoon soup
(b) free internet access at the lobby
(c) free wifi
(d) friendly reception
(e) spacious room

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends

To Mr.edyharto

Greetings from Hotel Soechi International Medan.
It is our duty and pride to serve you.

Top attention and cooperation

I look forward to seeing you personally on my next visit to Medan.

Greetings,

Reviewed 1 January 2011

Used the Hotel as a Day room. Pickup By Driver ok smooth n vehicle used was clean. Bell hop , checkin was efficient and uneventful even though I checked in early at 8am.
Room came with free breakfast but as I was not staying overnight the manager sent e staff up to my room with an amended voucher for Bfast on the same day along w I'd n password for the wifi/ Internet. It's an extra plus point for them in customer service .

• Stayed: January 2011

Dear Mr silentblade

Reviewed 11 November 2010

This hotel is located in, what I assume, downtown Medan. It is surrounded by Dutch colonial style buildings. It is managed by Novotel (but how come?). The lobby has a oriental feeling to the interior. But it is a shame that the whole lobby is a smoking area. You won't get much fresh (conditioned) air as everyone is allowed to smoke indoors. The check in was a bit frustrating, since I was served by a trainee. It was taken care of when her supervisor took charge. The room amenities are 3-star standard. I went out for dinner and found that there are choices of local food just beside the hotel. But I find the hotel breakfast to be a bit oddly cooked. Some food that I use to eat dry fried, they served watery. What should be medium cooked, was served crispy. The porridge was undercooked. So, it wasn't to my personal liking. This hotel is the closest one to my regional office and it was arranged by the company. But if I were to choose, I wouldn't stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business

Dear Mr aji2206.

Reviewed 30 August 2010

I was very pleased staying in this hotel. I found out that all the staff were so friendly with their local accent of English. The color of the room is so soft that create a comfortable and cozy environment. The next morning i enjoyed a very large variety of breakfast where they provided a unique and tasty Indonesian food well of course with some American Breakfast.
Surrounding the hotel i could find a lot of small shops which a lot of accessory for ladies and kids. Moreover i found out this hotel is located in the main business district of the city.
I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to business travelers.
In the evening i enjoyed so much the live band in the Pub. This Indonesian singers performed so well and sexy until i did not realize that it was 2 am already.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo