“Terrible management attitude”

Soechi International Hotel
Ranked #66 of 76 Hotels in Medan
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Never have I been so frustrated to bother writing a bad review, it goes against my theory of travel karma, but I am so appalled and frustrated by the ignorant attitude of this hotel's management that I am taking time to warn others of it inadequacies.

The hotel itself is ok and worthy of the 3 rating BUT don't risk booking here if you have any hope of common sense or intelligence. I made a mistake and booked the wrong date, I realised my error within the error of making it, unfortunately I had done it on Booking.com (another BIG mistake that I will not be repeating,) anyway I then booked the correct date (the day after) directly on the hotel's website, this was cheaper and surprisingly efficient. I contacted the hotel, both manager and reservations office and explained the mistake, hoped that the hotel management would see my error and as a gesture of good will charge me for one of the nights, it was a booking for x2 rooms. Due to poor English I could not confirm this prior to travel but after meeting so many wonderful Indonesians during our month here I held out hope that with intelligent conversation the problem could be resolved, alas I was wrong. The Soetchi Hotel management decided it would be a much better idea to charge me for both nights. They hid behind the excuse of Booking.com but I know from other bookings via that search engine that their defense was rubbish and even if it were true they could have charged me for the Booking.com night and not the hotel website night.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank SSkl
Subrata Soechi A, Guest Affair Manager at Soechi International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2014

Dear Mr. / Mrs.SSkl

Greetings from Soechi International Hotel Medan.

We are sorry to learn of your unpleasant experience at the time of making the hotel reservation at Booking.com.

I do not feel that our Manager and Reservation office misrepresented the position of the promotion period is strictly non refundable. We can understand how disappointing it can be when your expectations are not met.

We have noted the error you had made the booking on the wrong date and quite unfortunately I must point out that the error was made on the promotional period which is strictly non refundable.

Yours faithfully,

Reviewed 14 July 2014

we are group from jakarta for event meeting 19 - 21 June 2014 , good location , good service and we have great service from Mr. soni from marketing from check in until our group cek out , hope we can come back again to medan and stay in this hotel if we have next event in the next year

Cheeers

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Rahmat R
Subrata Soechi A, Guest Affair Manager at Soechi International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2014

Dear Mr Rahmat,

Greetings from Soechi International Hotel Medan.

Thank you for your nice review. We are delighted to know that the Group had enjoyed their stay and experience the warm welcome from Soni our Marketing staff. We do look forward to see you again soon.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

+ big rooms and clean
+ good breakfast
+ free airport shuttle to and from Kuala Namu International Airport

- bad English speaking desk girls, they take no notice of you until you call them with a loud voice
- interior is old but in style with the rest

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Peterspring

Dear Mr / Mrs Peterspring,

Thank you for the time to let us know about your stay with us and corrective measure has been taken to ensure no repetition in the future.

We appreciate your valuable feedback as it is only through constructive feedback such as yours that we are able to maintain and improve our services offered to valued clients such as yourself

Reviewed 4 June 2014

stayed 2 nights as part of the travel package deal to Medan. Room is mediocre with basic facilities. absence of power sockets to charge devices near bedside is a pain. there was only one outlet located on top the mini-bar. on the second night found cockroaches in the bath room, very irritating. I do not expect this from a 4 star hotel. The lift is a pain with a long waiting time - there are only 3 lifts covering 16 floors.
Breakfast was basic with fried rice and noodles both days. The omelette counter was the only saviour plus some basic bread.
You do not find any reasonable restaurants nearby..
If I were to choose a hotel on my own, I would not choose this hotel.
The management has to seriously look into the cockroach problem.

Room Tip: choose high floor. you only get city view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ksun179
Subrata Soechi A, Guest Affar Manager at Soechi International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2014

Dear Mr / Mrs Ksun 179,

Greetings from Soechi International Hotel Medan.

We have taken note of your kind feedback and would like to apologies when service was lapse during your stay. I have personally looked into the areas you mentioned and forwarded your comments to the department head concern with such instances are not to be repeated.

As for the power socket, it is advisable to charge devices away from bedside for safety concern. For additional sockets, extended multi sockets available through our one stop service. For information, our 3 guests lift covered up to level 11.

Thank you again for your gracious feedback as it is only through guest feedback that we are able to gauge our service levels.

Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Check in was alright although the receptionist doesn't speak good English. We were communicating in local language. The service can be more attentive.

We stayed in superior room. During booking we asked for twin beds but apparently it is fully booked, so we ended up with king bed. The room looked worn down, heavy with the smell of stale smoke. Full of little cockroaches all over the room and bathroom. Bedsheets are filthy as well as the rest of the fixtures. There is a hair dryer that takes forever to dry my short hair. There isn't extra plugs + the lighting is too dim.

Surroundings are full with shops but all closed down by dinner time. Only left with food stalls along busy and filthy roads.

Didn't try the free Internet so no comment on that.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank christinaliew

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Stayed for 1 night on a business trip.

Check-in was very very slow. We took about 20-30 minutes for check-in.

Room is generally okay - not good but not terrible. The room has no sockets for charging at the desk/ bedside area. I had to charge my laptop at the only socket available at the mini bar section which is quite a distance away from the bed and desk. No sense for people to be standing there, doing work.

Bedsheets didn't feel very clean as my pillow had a strong stench - like "wet towels kept in the cupboard without fully drying it" of that sort. Cleanliness of sheets is the most important to me and I would rate it below average.

Internet speed is crazy slow. I didn't manage to load my emails at all the entire night. Even chatting on Skype was a problem - it keeps connecting and disconnecting.

Bathroom is generally okay. I don't spend too much time there so no fuss about it. Bedroom sleepers were only proved upon request.

Hotel food is terrible!! my colleagues and I headed out into the streets for food. Which is surprisingly very good!! Don't have to worry about hygiene - it's clean! It's across the street, about 2 blocks down. We were accompanied with an Indonesian colleague so there wasn't much issues getting around but traveling out alone may be a problem. The locals doesn't speak much English but it's worth a try..

Very disappointed with the airport transfer - thought it was free but we were told on check-in that it will cost us Rp200,000 for 3 of us. The following day, when payment was made but we were only asked to pay Rp100,000. So I'm not sure if there is a real clear policy on this. We, of course just paid the lesser amount.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank camscams

Dear Mr / Mrs Camscams

Greetings from Soechi International Hotel Medan.

Our airport transfer is complementary for 2 person per room. 3rd person or additional person is chargeable at RP200,000 each person (Extra bed with Divan will be delivered to room).

Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed in Soechi International for one night, mostly because they have an airport shuttle for free. When we arrived at Medan airport, indeed a driver from Soechi was waiting for us, which was nice at that time (11.30 p.m.) The hotel itself was big with a huge entrance hall, but it all seemed a bit outdated. Our room (superior, because standard rooms weren't available anymore) was big as well, with a kingsize bed. Unfortunately, the blankets showed several spots, although washed afterwards. The breakfast was a real dissapointment: the asian breakfast looked extensive, the intercontinental breakfast, on the contrairy, contained only some dry toast, very very sweet pineapple marmelade, small parts that looked like cheese and some tasteless cornflakes. In conclusion: the free airport shuttle was a good thing, but the rest didn't fit our expectations.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple