“Very good and interesting place to be. With friendly help” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Otten Coffee

Otten Coffee
Ranked #1 of 5 Nightlife in Medan
More attraction details
Owner description: WELCOME TO OTTEN COFFEE HOUSE..HERE AT OTTEN COFFEE HOUSE, IS AN INDEPENDENT COFFEE ROASTER BASED IN MEDAN, NORTH SUMATRA – INDONESIA. WE SPECIALIZE IN FRESHLY ROASTED 100% SUMATRAN COFFEE.ON THE BEAUTIFUL ISLAND OF SUMATRA, WE ROAST OUR COFFEE DAILY TO ENSURE THE FRESHNESS OF EVERY ROAST. TASTE THE FRESH FLAVORS OF THE SUMATRA ISLANDS DELIVERED TO YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDSOTTEN COFFEE HOUSE HUMBLY OFFER YOU SINGLE ORIGIN OF 100% SUMATRAN COFFEE. WE ARE PAYING ATTENTION AND INVESTED IN MAKING EACH CUP AN AUTHENTIC AND QUALITY EXPERIENCE. AND OF COURSE, COFFEE FARMS AND THE FARMER IS BENT ON GROWING THE BEST GREEN COFFEE EVER, THAT’S WHERE OTTEN COFFEE COMES FROM. WE ARE OBSESSED WITH GOOD COFFEE. EVERYTHING WE DO—SOURCING, PROCESSING, ROASTING, BREWING, EDUCATING—IS ABOUT BRINGING YOU THAT PLACE IN A CUP. BECAUSE COFFEE SHOULD BE TRUE.
Dordt, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Very good and interesting place to be. With friendly help”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2013

A nice way to taste the coffee. with very friendly staff, speaking good English. Willing to explain the process and very helpful with the product they sell. A place where you have to go to!

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Arnold W

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Duluth, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Superb!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2013

Otten is definitely a heaven for those coffee lovers. It offers the most complete varieties of Sumatran coffee than any other places I've been to.
The staffs are very friendly and knowledgeable and always ready to help with any questions I had. The staffs helped me choose and I ended up buying a few varieties of Sumatran coffee. I gave some to my friends as souvenirs and they all love them! With its nice interior and settings, I think this place is a must-go-to place if you happen to visit Medan.

Visited February 2013
4 Thank ramenlvr
Singapore, Singapore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Delightful staff and gorgeous coffee”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2013

I learned about Otten coffee when in transit at Medan's domestic terminal. The stores at the terminal sell some varieties of their coffee. I wanted to find out what their other varieties were like so I made a detour to their shop the next time I was in Medan and it was worth it! The staff were very helpful, attentive and so welcoming! I was carrying a lot of luggage and they helped with my bags, and when I was leaving, even tried helping me find a becak!

I had already tried their Sumatra blend before I arrived. But I really like their Aceh Gayo, which was being roasted the day I arrived. If I remember correct, they have a different roast every week. Aceh Gayo has such a robust aroma and chocolatey hints. Yum. Sidikalang was recommended to me when I mentioned that I didn't like acidity, and the recommendation was spot-on. It's got nice balance. I also tried Kopi Lanang but it didn't really do much for me. The experience was nondescript.

I was attended by one of the owners Jhoni. I wanted to find out if their Kopi Luwak was from farmed or wild civets as I read in the news of civets being caught from the wild for kopi luwak production. He admitted that the kopi luwak robusta is from farmed civets, but that the arabica is believed to be from wild civets, as the location of the coffee farms are within civet territory. That said, farms are vast and plenty and it's hard to know exactly for sure that the farmers, though they claim to not be farming them, might actually have an undisclosed farm somewhere. Welfare aside, I think that since the beans are consumed and processed by the animal, a healthy and happy animal would produce a more desirable quality of bean than a confined, sick and potentially diseased animal. It would to make sense. Civets are solitary and arboreal animals, it means they live alone and in trees, and are very prone to acquiring disease when kept alongside other civets and housed on the ground in less than sanitary conditions. I really appreciated Jhoni being so candid and forthcoming as I understand these were not usual questions that customers would ask!

He also shared that because civets live in the hills and robusta grows in the lowlands, civets generally would not naturally consume robusta berries. Hence kopi luwak robusta in Indonesia is almost always from farmed civets.

Jhoni told me that he could ship me some bags of coffee from Medan when I was done with my lot so now I can have their coffee every morning, even when out of the country!

Visited December 2012
6 Thank torvaanser
piemonte
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“perfetto!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2013

a perfect place where to drink a cup of coffee...
staff really friendly, and really full of explanation about the different kind of coffee...

what else..

a cup of coffee from toba lake...

Visited January 2013
3 Thank tower82
Singapore, Singapore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Comfortable and really helpful staffs”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

Located in a humid Medan city, I really enjoyed coming to this coffee corner. They sell an array Indonesia's best coffee with neat packaging. They even have luwak's coffee. My friend recommended this place as he frequently visits Medan. When asked about the coffee selections, the staffs are actually knowledgeable and helped me chose the coffee for souvenirs. I bought Aceh Gayo for myself, and I'm addicted! Definitely coming back when I visit again in April :)

Visited January 2013