“aula wisuda STIE- STMIK IBBI MEDAN tahun 2009”

Grand Mercure Maha Cipta Medan Angkasa
Ranked #8 of 73 Hotels in Medan
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Located right in the heart of Medan's business and shopping district, the hotel is coveniently accessible for leisure and business.The hotel is also the perfect venue for meetings, seminars, conventions and exhibitions with a seating capacity for 1200 persons in our Grand Ballroom.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Grand Mercure Maha Cipta Medan Angkasa

Reviewed 22 March 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 March 2014

For my latest Medan business trip I decided to try out the Grand Angkasa since some local friends recommended it to me. I was told the hotel is less than 10 years old but when I entered the lobby and ultimately my room I felt I was propelled back to the 80ies.
The good news is that the room is rather big and its size worthy of a four or even five star hotel the rest is not up to par.
Maintainance is poor and the furniture and facilities quite outdated. It must have been one of the to places to stay when it was new and Medan did not yet have a big range of exclusive hotels to chose from. It just feels old and crappy. Like the layers of the bathtub have peeled of and the carpet floor is full of stains and looks dirty (even when it is not dirty, actually).
The water in the shower does not really get very hot as one would expect in a hotel of this kind.
The TV is a modern flat screen but the picture of most international channels is grainy and lacks quality. Quite a pain when one wants to watch a whole movie for an hour and a half. I think they can do better than that.
One a brighter note, I found the staff very helpful and friendly and when I complained about the poor internet connection in my room they transferred me to another one without a fuss. I appreciate that.
The room comes with breakfast which has a variety of local and "western' food. No issues here except it can get quite packed and I had a hard time finding an empty table to sip my coffee.
All in all it is just an okay place and a bit out of the more busy downtown area, thus, one has to get a taxi or becak to get around. No big deal, tough.
I don't think I want to stay here again given that nowadays Medan has so any choices of reasonably priced modern hotels that give you a bigger bang for your buck. But for those wanting to go back to the 80ties it may offer an interesting stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 March 2014

This is a refreshing new hotel for me. It's not newly built, but it's where I will be staying during my future trips. I was staying at another hotel here in Medan before hearing about this place. What a great change I have made! The front desk and security are very friendly and helpful. Easy to check-in and check-out. Rooms are very clean and relaxing. I only had two hickups during my stay and they were nothing real major. I had friends over and we were all going to go swimming, but the man there would only let two people swim because that's all the room accommodates. Not that I was mad about this or anything, but it was quite funny since the huge pool was completely empty. I let my friends swim and I just went back up to the room to relax. The last hickup was laundry and with that I think it was just a language barrier. When my clothes were returned to me, I asked if I could charge it to the room or if I had to pay right then. He just agreed and said yes, pay now. Never was brought change since I guess I was planning on giving the rest of it as a tip. haha. All room levels require key access in the elevator so you need to meet any friends visiting down in the lobby. Adds security though so that's nice.

There is a KFC right across the street for it but other than that, you can find some local food stalls if you walk just a bit. They have pretty good food so I would recommend trying them out and staying away from chain food. They are also much cheaper!

Overall though, this is a great hotel for a great price! I will definitely be staying here more in the future.

Room Tip: If you like people watching, street view can be nice. If you barely look out the window but want a...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 March 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 March 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Thank Noorcahyo Irian... I
Reviewed 26 February 2014

After travelling around Sumatra, down time was needed and this was the place to get it. The hotel is super clean, spacious and quiet with a beautiful pool. The staff are charming and very responsive to all requests. I stayed before and after my trip around North Sumatra and would do so again. Taxis are available out front, but better and certainly more exciting to go for one of the motorised becaks. This is a great base to explore Medan, but also a refuge from some of its incessant traffic.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo