“Nearest hotel to Kelimutu crater”
Review of Flores Sare Hotel

Flores Sare Hotel
Ranked #39 of 41 Hotels in Flores
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We travel with group of 25 people, We reach the hotel after whole day flying from Jakarta via Kupang and Ende, we reach the hotel at Moni with local bus with out AC, almost 8 pm, before dark we get fascinating landscape of Flores Island with rocky mountain,
The hotel without star, and room is standard for the small village like this, this is only the hotel with number of room more than 30 rooms, Is good for group traveler, Standard dinner and simple breakfast is include to hotel rate, That time hot water is not working and electric plug also does not work, so we could not charge any phone or camera battery,
Any how the hotel staff was very friendly.
The hotel is near to Kelimutu Crater, only about 20 minutes by cars,
Best time to go in early morning so you see sunset .

Room Tip: Take superior room is better,
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 3 March 2013

The whole place is damp and unkempt. We had no electricity and no water except brown well water for toilet purposes. The restaurant has wallpaper peeling off and the vegetables tasted of the kerosene used to cook them.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jacko070
Reviewed 24 August 2012

We stayed at the standard room (no hot water) during peak season in Aug for a night for 250rp and found it to be basic and so-so on the cleanliness side. Certainly overpriced compared to other accommodation in Indonesia, but not necessarily so compared to Moni.

Perhaps a lot of the bad press it gets is due to the fact its often the first stop in Flores (arrival in Maumere and straight to Moni), but Flores in general is quite overpriced and underquality in terms of accommodation. Compared to other places in Flores, its not that bad value, but don't expect more then a decent nights sleep and feeling happy to move onward.

On the plus side, the staff was very friendly and helpful.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Fran P
Reviewed 11 August 2012

I have travelled a lot in SE Asia and rarely feel compelled to write a review of a hotel. However, this place has to be one of, if not 'the', worst place I've ever stayed. We were a bit desperate as we arrived in Moni quite late and (as it was high season) all the better places were fully booked. What I found so terrible about this place was the rates it charged for the rooms. Our room was 250Rp and it was the most expensive *hole I've ever stayed in. The state of the building is just hideous - we had damp and dripping water off the ceiling and everything felt wet. The windows didn't shut. But it was the bathroom which was what was so disgusting. I avoided using the toilet as I didn't want to enter the place. It really was in its own league of filth. We only had water for the first 10 minutes after we arrived and it came on again as we were leaving so couldn't even wash our faces.
If you have to stay here (and I stress 'have to' as please don't choose to stay a this place) then I would advise negotiating on the price before you commit. I dread to think what you'd have got for the 500Rp (!) they are asking for the 'VIP' room. I mean, 'VIP', what a complete joke! We didn't pay full price due to the water situation, but even what we did pay what was well above what it was worth.
Having got through the night (and as our departure was imminent) I actually found the state of the dining room quite amusing, if not extremely depressing.
This place is basically a slum and should not be charging anywhere near the rates it does. Please plan ahead and book one of the much better options in Moni.

Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Flores Sare is a comfortable place to rest and make me feel like home. The service is good, it feels cozy, and the hotel is located on the roadside. Flores Sare is a great place to relieve stress due to the pile of work. With a reasonable fee I got the best service in this place.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tuteh P
Reviewed 20 March 2012

We ended up there because the booking was made to Eco Lodge by somebody else for us and their prices were unaccepted, and driver took us to Sare. Sare was more than twice cheaper - 350 000 per night in VIP rooms - but still overpriced. A bit filthy, smelly, no aircon or such.

Restaurant wasn't good at all. First time we were just too hungry, everything was OK, but in general, we didn't experience good taste. The restaurant looks and is a bit worn and dirty.

Manager Gabriel is very friendly, though, and helpful.

Funny enough, the hotel looks bit like a villa inside, but like a big farm building from distance:)

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 September 2011

Having not read any reviews on this hotel and our first choice was already fully booked we went with our guide and driver. The standard rooms looked terrible and dirty and the ground floor smelled strongly of damp. We were upgraded to a huge room with balcony upstairs and after haggling on price we started to check in. I questioned the manager about hot water and he turned on the water heater in the bathroom.
On smelling a strange odour I went to investigate. Seeing nothing obvious, I went to turn on the tap...I RECEIVED THE BIGGEST ELECTRIC SHOCK OF MY LIFE! I was physically shaking and we wondered if I required medical attention - the manager was very apologetic but that simply is not good enough.
Understandably, we checked in at Kelimutu Ecolodge and had a great two night stay!

• Stayed: July 2011