“A most wonderful experience”
Review of Hotel Tugu Lombok

Hotel Tugu Lombok
Ranked #4 of 181 Hotels in Lombok
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We have recently stayed a week at Hotel Tugu in Lombok and are still mesmerised by so much beauty and by the gentleness of the people we stayed with.

It felt like staying at your own private place, so relaxed and smooth. Everything was beautifully arranged, organised and dealt with, the grounds are beautiful and the location is fantastic. The best view form the breakfast table ever!

Our 5 year old son found himself a lot of friends within the staff, especially his best friend Faisal, who introduced him into the world of Tugu and Lombok by teaching him to create amazing toys from bamboo and coral, all highly treasured and transported back on the plane! Thank you Faisal, you have made Julian's holiday!

The atmosphere at the hotel was of utter bliss and whether it was the afternoon tea arranged every day on the lawn or the dinner on the beach, everything was already being dealt with by the time we asked for it.

The snorkelling trip on the hotels own dragon boat was a fantastic experience, again with the two members of staff being particularly helpful with our son. Seeing turtles was a wonderful experience.

We were sad to leave, even though we had a wonderful farewell, including having our national flags waved at us for a good bye!

Staying at Hotel Tugu is truly a most memorable experience as it is the perfect place with the most wonderful staff and we cannot wait to come back soon!

Thank you to everyone at Hotel Tugu!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank gabisimonjulian
Roshan F, General Manager at Hotel Tugu Lombok, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear gabisimonjilian,
Thank you for taking your time off to post such an inspiring comment about our resort, how you have expressed your impression of our little Tugu with such finer details of service and the “Tugu touch “experience. I was delighted to personally convey your appreciation to all our staff members & specially to Fizol, they have read your review and I would like to inform you that you have brought huge smiles on their faces this morning.
We are always committed to serve you with that genuine smile from the heart & with that extra care. We want you to consider Tugu as your own home. We are proud of being a part of the Tugu family because of happy guests such as you. Our mission is simple, to provide you with that unforgettable experience while visiting in Indonesia for you to remember even after you return back to your country of residence. Our special regards to your son Julian.
May we thank you once again for sharing your personal experience, we will be anxiously waiting for your next trip to our resort. Please do not hesitate contact us for any assistance you may need from this end.
Our best wishes,

Reviewed 27 March 2014

My wife and I decided to stay at the Hotel Tugu Lombok to celebrate a birthday,
The greeting that we received upon arrival made us both feel very special, ( we were welcomed as a member of the Tugu family ) and when we came to leave we felt like we were leaving close friends and family behind
We stayed for 4 nights and five days, and I can say that the service and attention to detail was seconded to none, every request we made was accommodated
If you want to spend some quality relaxing time and chilling out! Then the Hotel Tugu is the place to be

Room Tip: Beach view room
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Roshan F, General Manager at Hotel Tugu Lombok, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2014

Dear Tugu friend,
Thank you for the time you took to post a great comment of your experience at our resort. We are very happy to hear how much you have enjoyed your stay . Please always consider our resort as your home in Lombok. Our Tugu family is geared to give such an experience as we are always committed to give best of hospitality to all our dear guests. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you ever plan another visit to our hotel. We will be delighted to have you back.
Thank you again for your nice sentiments mentioned in your review & we are looking forward to welcome you back soon.
With best wishes,

Reviewed 24 March 2014

We (a group of 8, including 3 kids) spent five nights here (we had three rooms in total) and had a fantastic time. The rooms were beautifully decorated with old-school decor and were spotless with 5-star amenities. In fact, the entire grounds, pool, etc were immaculately groomed at all times, far better than most 5-star places I've stayed in worldwide. The photos online, even those from the hotel itself, actually don't do this place justice as it is actually nicer than it looks online. What makes this place special, however, is the staff: they seem to be genuinely interested in making your stay memorable, to the extent that the general manager arranged for the chef to make off-the-menu meals for us after we only casually mentioned that it would be great to be able to explore more of the local cuisine than what's on the official menu (of course, we were a group of 8, so it might have been more feasible to do this than if we were just 2 people, for example). We quite enjoyed our nightly chats with the chef discussing what we might have for lunch and dinner the next day, and one night the GM himself made a Sri Lankan dish for us! This sort of "make it happen" service is what took our vacation from great to simply fantastic!

Others on tripadvisor have commented that the beach has lots of broken coral which makes wading in barefoot a little difficult. This is true, but the flip side is that the waters are completely calm and clear and superb for snorkeling to see the wonderful underwater life and corals a few hundred meters from shore. And the calm waters make it easy for those like us with young kids to allow them to be in the water without being swamped by surf. The beach is also very quiet with very few people (most times we had the entire strip of beach to ourselves) unlike on the main strip at Senggigi.

All in, a great place. Not the cheapest, but definitely fabulous. Although we spent five nights there, at no time did we feel like we had to get away from the resort for a change of food or scenery, and I was quite surprised by this as at every other place I've ever stayed at I typically get itchy to explore other restaurants etc after the first night.

I actually am reticent to submit this review as I don't want too many others going there and spoiling the place. But, given the superb experience we had, I feel like I owe them a review! I hope the area around the hotel doesn't develop too quickly, as I would very much like to go back in the next year or two and have the same away-from-it-all-but-with-luxury experience.

Room Tip: The bhagavad gita suites are expensive but the direct access to the beach and views make them fantas...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ravinbtoronto
Roshan F, General Manager at Hotel Tugu Lombok, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Dear ravinbtoronto,
Thank you for taking time off to write a lengthy review. I & my team were delighted & inspired by your wonderful comments & sentiments expressed in your review. All of us at Tugu family will say “big thank you" from the bottom of our hearts.
You have mentioned & described about the décor, concept, gardens & you have categorized our beach as a quiet place.Thank you for given us an opportunity to present our culinary delights “off the menu” to stimulate your taste buds.
You have mentioned of our staff, we will be grateful & truly delighted to have such wonderful comments as “make it happen” service. I shall personally covey your appreciation to all our staff members in general. I am sure they will be inspired, will be so happy to serve you again any day. We are always committed to create only positive memorable experience for all our guests.
We do hope that with all the experience you had with us will bring you back to your favorite place in the near future on your next visit to Lombok.
Thank you once again for well written & the experience expressed in your recent visit to our resort.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

My friends and I had the pleasure to spend several days at Tugu Lombok recently and it was sheer paradise. The distinction “luxury in the traditional style” is a standard rarely met today but the Tugu Lombok has achieved it. I have stayed at many of Asia’s top resorts I can honestly say the Tugu Lombok is in a class of it’s own. Tugu Lombok is more than just a beautiful resort, it is a celebration of Indonesian culture and tradition.
From the moment you arrive you are beaconed on journey back to a simpler more reflective time. Every element of your surroundings has been carefully chosen to relax the mind and stimulate the soul. The opulent rooms and lush grounds are adorned with exquisite museum quality artworks from the owner’s extensive collection. Every creature comfort and convenience is sumptuously and elegantly provided. The friendly and unobtrusive staff work tirelessly to attend your every need. One evening we dined on the beach under a canopy of stars surrounded by red lanterns, the next atop a Balinese temple illuminated by candlelight. It just doesn’t get any better than that. The powder white sand beach affords a stunning view of Mt Rinjani and an unspoiled coastline. For those who arise early the sunrise over the silhouetted mountain is not to be missed. When you tire of being pampered, world class diving at the Gili islands is minutes away and an excellent 18 hole golf course is right next door. I cannot recommend this property more for those who seek tranquility, refinement and complete relaxation. My partner and I will definitely be returning.

Room Tip: pamper yourself with the Bhagavat Gita Suite
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Terry K
Roshan F, General Manager at Hotel Tugu Lombok, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2014

Dear Terry K ,
Thank you so much for posting a lengthy review at the TripAdviser . We feel you have taken so much of your time to explain many details & facilities of the resort. Tugu is indeed famous for having one of the most beautiful, vast collections of art and antiquities in Indonesia; the hotel itself is a destination by itself to experience the real, authentic, rich and colorful culture of the country.
I have already conveyed some of your comments to our staff, they were so happy & delighted the way you have expressed the little Tugu in your own words. “To relax the mind & stimulate the soul” this is exactly our resort could offer within many other services.
Thank you for mentioning all other facilities & services of the hotel. All of us we are proud of been a part of the Tugu family for those good reasons. Our service mission is simple, to be elegant, different from others and serve from the heart.
Terry, we will be anxiously waiting for your next trip to Hotel Tugu Lombok. Please do not hesitate contact us for any assistance you may need.
Warm regards from entire Tugu family.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

The drive to the hotel isn't necessarily the best, but well worth it.

The views are breath taking, the surroundings are serene and the staff are among the friendliest and most helpful I've ever come across.

I would not hesitate to go back and would highly recommend a stay at least once in your lifetime.

The Hotel Tugu in Lombok is a quaint tropical paradise and a must for a relaxing holiday away.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Christopher T

Dear Christopher T,
What a pleasure to learn that you have enjoyed such a pleasant stay with us! We thank you for sharing your great feedback with the TripAdvisor. It’s a pleasure to know that you truly enjoyed your stay with us. We are very much looking forward to having you back anytime as our dear guests .
Roshan Fernando

Reviewed 18 March 2014

Seven of us traveled to Indonesia together. We were in Ubud in Bali at a gorgeous place and almost cancelled going to Lombok, but decided finally to go. We are so glad we did. This was our favorite place and two of our party ended up extending their stay here by two more days. The beach is gorgeous; what they say about Lombok being Bali 20 years ago before all the tourists is absolutely true; the rooms are unique, beautiful and totally Indonesian; but best of all, the staff was incredible. Every morning and every evening we were greeted BY NAME by any staff member we passed. At every meal, there was a leaf on which was written our names and a good wish. I got a little sick the evening before we left and ate in my room. Special tea was sent over to make my stomach better (which worked) and the next morning, I was asked very solicitously by everyone how I was feeling. We left later that morning, but the next day, when we were back in Bali, I got a phone call from our friends who had extended their Lombok stay, asking how I was. I said fine, and they said, good. Everyone here has been asking us how you are!!

We took a day trip in the dragon boat and the two drivers/divers who took us were so nice and they took us to great snorkeling spots. I rubbed my toe and so my fin was hurting my foot-one of the guys jumped on a bike where we stopped for lunch on the shore and went and got me a bandaid. The first guide pointed out a green sea turtle, leisurely swimming. The second one brought bread for us to feed to the fish, so we soon had hundreds of brightly colored tropical fish nibbling on our fingers when they missed the bread. It was magical.

The spa is beautiful- it is in open air making the massages even more relaxing and special.

Even though we live in New York, and Lombok is 24 hours of flying time away, we know we will come back to this place.

I also want to say that Hanny helped us arrange everything and it all went perfectly. She answered all my questions and was so helpful and friendly. I was very happy to finally meet her and be able to meet her lovely little daughter as well!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank deedied
Roshan F, General Manager at Hotel Tugu Lombok, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Dear deedied,
Thank you for taking time off to write a lengthy review. I & my team were delighted by your wonderful comments & sentiments expressed in your review. All of us at the resort will say “big thank you" from the bottom of our hearts. You have written in details the way our staff handled the boat trip to Gili Islands,our genuine care & feelings when someone feel sick : importantly of our humble staff & their services. You have also open your heart out explain the Tugu touch experience which we are well known for.
I shall personally covey your appreciation to all our staff members in general & specially the ones you have mentioned the names. I am sure they will be inspired, will be so happy to serve you again one day. We are committed to creating only positive memorable experience for all our guests.
Our entire team will be very happy to welcome you again anytime.

Reviewed 18 March 2014

Often, when you check into a hotel, the experience is pasteurised, homogenised and anodyne. Hotel Tugu (Lombok) far surpassed my expectations. It is a place which revels in quirkiness (design), while remaining committed to high levels of customer service. A genuinely memorable stay, with thoughtful staff. We even got a lovely send-off when we left - usually you just get the bill. Highly recommended as a secluded get away whether you are a couple, or a family. Great rooms and a great location.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MuMuRobbo
Roshan F, General Manager at Hotel Tugu Lombok, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Dear MuMu Robbo,
Thank you for taking your time off to post an inspiring comment about our resort. You have expressed your impression of our little Tugu with such finer details of service and the “Tugu touch “experience. I was delighted to personally convey your appreciation to all our staff members. We will be so happy to serve you again & we are looking forward to welcome you back soon ; Service excellence is what we are committed to deliver in all our Tugu Hotel properties.