“change of name: now mor vekinamon”
Review of Ushpizin - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Ushpizin
Cuisines: Israeli
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This is a simple restaurant in Acre, which is not exactly abounding in kosher places. We had salads and mixed grill. The salads were good, but the meat was only adequate, apart from the pargiot (spring chicken) which was excellent. The restaurant is a short walk from the tourist sites of the old city and has excellent air-conditioning, very necessary in this hot and humid sea-side city in the summer.

1  Thank Savtasu
Reviewed 12 August 2011

After a long morning of exploring Old Acre with two friends, we went to lunch in the early afternoon at Ushpizin. I had already searched on the Hebrew restaurant sites for mehadrin options in Akko, but this was the only thing that showed up. Reviews ranged from great to poor, mostly noting service issues. We had a decent lunch there, and service was fine.

The meals are served with warm house bread and an array of salads. We were very pleased with the house bread. Some of the salads were outstanding enough to ask for the recipe from the chef. Other salads were the standard fare in Israeli restaurants serving this style of meal, but all very decent. One friend had to remind the waiter that she had ordered a beer, and they seemed out of the brand she wanted. Later the manager found one of the beers she wanted behind some other beers, so we split that one.

I had the lamb kabobs on cinnamon sticks. The meat was extremely salty, hiding the flavor of the lamb. It came served attractively on a mini roasted eggplant with tahini (yum!), rice on the side, and roasted sweet potato. The portion was huge, and I did not finish my rice.

One friend had the chicken breast with onion gravy, which was served on a piece of toast with a side of rice and roasted sweet potato. She enjoyed the food, and also took home a good portion of the chicken.

My other friend had fish, which unfortunately came rather overcooked.

All in all I'm glad we went, as I'd been interested in trying out Ushpizin for a number of years. Since I do want to go back to Akko to see more of the antiquities at some point, I may even return to Ushpizin.

Large parties should reserve in advance, as the place is somewhat small.

4  Thank travelmarm