“Good and not so good things together”

Rimonim Palm Beach Acre
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Acre
Como, Italy
“Good and not so good things together”
Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

The hotel is on the seaside close to the citadel, quite interesting by itself. It offers valuable facitlities ( gym, sauna, etc.) and the beach is wonderful. On the other hand the hotel looks like old and several rooms, mainly the restrooms, clearly need to be renewed. Breakfast is of very good quality, however quite unbelievably given we are in Israel, there was never fresh fruit.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Hebrew first
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I didn't use beach or facilities as I got there too lat and left of early. But looked great! It isn't right in the heart of the old village....but does have the sea going for it.

To be honest, I stayed there only three nights ago and don't remember much about the hotel... Was with a group, so no idea of value.

Room Tip: No help from me.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
ISRAEL
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Good place for common family holiday vacation.
Nice sweeming pools with large lawns, and private sea-beach with clean white send coast and blue Medeteranian sea- view.
The breakfast was reach and tasty. Rooms are clean with good services.
Good Place for staying with children.
The view from all the rooms is mavelous. From the north rooms you can see the blue see and the ancient town of Acre.From The south rooms you can see the bay of pretty Haifa, and the mount of Carmel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Delray Beach, Florida
Reviewed 14 September 2013

This hotel is long overdue for renovation. The lobby is dated. The rooms show their age big time. You can see little holes in the old room darkening drapes. The bathroom has old dirty grout. There is no facial tissue. If you get a room facing the old city, the view is fabulous! One saving grace is that you do get free internet in the room. The Israeli breakfast buffet is adequate. If you are fortunate enough to get a table on the restaurant's back porch, you will find it delightful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the old city.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Kiryat Ono, Israel
Reviewed 20 August 2013

My wife, 4-year old girl and myself stayed there on August.
The view from the room was amazing, viewing the sea, pool and Acre bay.
Rooms are large enough, clean and all-in-all well maintained.
the private beach is very convenient, and other fascilities and activities were also great.
The down side for us was the food, which was mediocre (we had breakfast and dinner).
Good service, friendly and helpful staff.

Room Tip: Higher floors are less noisy of evening activities and sea noise (waves)
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed 18 August 2013

This hotel is geared towards families with small children. There is much for kids to keep themselves occupied. Adults too have swimming, tennis, a gym , dances, ,etc. But couples seeking privacy and quiet should go elsewhere...

We took half-board. The food was plentiful and tasty. The reception staff were efficient.
Drawbacks: some congestion in the elevators, and a fine beach which while sandy and attractive was strewn with garbage. We complained and asked that the Acre Municipality clean it up.Note-there is no lifeguard on the beach. There are lifeguards at the two swimming pools.
The hotel is accessible by car, bus and train.The Old City of Acre with its museums and markets is about 10 minutes away by taxi- cost 25 shekels.

Room Tip: Facing north the view is better
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 28 July 2013

This hotel was probably *THE* place to be/go in the 1980s and prior. I should know, it's been 30 years since I started staying in hotels in this country. Back then, this would have qualified as a "luxury" hotel. Today, this establishment is really best for vacationers, families and events with families. It also seems to cater to that crowd, and, doesn't much care about business travelers. Read on.

The hotel is really struggling to meet bare business necessities. I'm sure there are many places on the planet that are far less accommodating. Or clean. Or cozy, or have air-conditioning or running water (hot even!). I'm sure in other countries this place might rate five stars. Heck, 30 years ago this place probably *was* five stars! But not from me and not today. Note that I gave it three (3) stars, not less.

The hotel boasts a rather comprehensive "fitness resort" spa that includes pool, tennis courts, and a nicely equipped gym. Many locals have memberships to use the fitness centre/spa.

The rooms aren't especially small. At least the two I've stayed in have been pretty spacious. Especially by European standards. My US colleagues might feel a bit cramped, but they're spoiled.

The hotel is also on the beach, so, as a place to take the kids and use as a base of operations for touring, it's fine. The breakfast is actually quite good. Excellent variety and everything is fresh and tasty. Many (if not most) tables can accommodate large families and the dining room decor is modern and inviting.

Before you read all the negatives, below, please bare the following in mind: My client has a special rate with the hotel that they pay directly. I don't know what the per night rate is, but I'm sure it's not hideous, and, I'm sure if I could get the same rate as they pay, I would return -- when I'm with my family and not on business.

So, why the three stars?

Especially if you're a Westerner and here for business, it's just not great for that purpose.

► The wireless access point is strong, but the connection to the Internet is spotty. In fact, when I arrived it wasn't connecting, so I told the front desk. It never came up that night and was still down the next morning. It was finally working by the evening of my first day (when I'm writing this). Even now, it's spotty and pretty slow.

► The dresser pulls triple duty: Dresser drawers, TV stand, and desk. Since I'm here for business, I'm most interested in how it functions as a desk. As a desk, it's narrow and shallow. To get proper spacing between my arms and the wall opposite where I sit, to use my laptop, I sit an arm's length from the front edge of the surface, and, I'm lucky I have a fairly average-sized laptop and not one of the behemoth machines many colleagues carry. Since the TV consumes a third of the surface, were I in need of "spreading out" I'd have to put the TV on the floor. Were I to need to "spread out" AND connect to the TV for an extra viewing screen (assuming it would accept my video feed -- with cables I bring with me) that would negate my ability to 'spread out'. It's one, or, the other.

► Speaking of my laptop. Let's say I want to use the spa, pool, or go to the beach. Or, I merely want to go out for dinner or down to the bar for a pint. Or, let's say that I have business meetings that don't require (or allow) me to bring my laptop. The in-room safe is too small to fit it. Hrmm. What to do... What. To. Do.

► The chair in the room (there's only one and there's easily room for more) is of the fabric-covered metal sort common at conferences, meetings and business banquets. Not in the least comfortable and seriously appears as an after-thought or hastily swapped back-up to replace what was likely here before.

► This may seem insignificant, but for a business person who often has to leave early in the morning to get to meetings, the fact that breakfast doesn't start until 07:00 can be a real disappointment. Other hotels in the country start breakfast 30-60 minutes earlier precisely because the work days, here, start about as early as they do in much of Europe or the US.

Let's move on to some less business-y observations.

► Instead of bottles of soap and shampoo, they offer push-pump dispensers. One, each, in the shower/tub and by the sink. Generally nothing wrong with this, in theory, but in practice, it's a bit low-brow for business travel. These are the sort of compromises a hotel makes when it's tired of losing its supply of soap and shampoo to families and other non-frequent travelers. When I first arrived, the dispenser in the shower didn't do its job. On inspection, I noticed that it was not properly hinged on one end. So I removed the cover to see if I could re-attach it. Removing the cover revealed mold on the inside of the cover. No surprise, albeit *gross*. With nothing to prevent water from getting in and becoming trapped inside the housing, the design of this dispenser didn't appear optimized for in-shower use. Yet another hint that they didn't entirely think it through before choosing a "solution". I replaced the cover and liquid cleanser properly came forth with a push.

► That's when I noticed the mold spores and rust on some of the fixtures. Again, we've solved these matters, people. High quality plumbing (or simple maintenance) doesn't exhibit these symptoms.

► One of the towel hangars has broken off. No one's bothered to remove what's left. It's been there so long, it has rust on the exposed end. Another lack of attention to detail.

► The toilet has a leak in the reservoir and refills itself every so often. This is just another symptom of poor maintenance. In a country desperate for fresh water, one would think commode preventive maintenance would be a priority.

► Did I mention the families? Extremely popular with families. I don't mind families. I'm rather fond of families. I have one, in fact. :-) However, when a hotel clearly cares about their facilities only in as much as they set their own internal operational expectations to meet the (lower) expectation levels of local families, it shows up in everything else.

And, with that, that is exactly how this hotel comes across. They know their primary guest clientele are local families and that's about as far as they will allow themselves to care about their own establishment.

When on business, I'll probably not stay here again. I'll renegotiate my arrangement with my client so that I can choose to pay for the hotel, and stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms face the beach and have a great view of Haifa.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank hi11e1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Acre
Akkotel
Shtarkman Erna Boutique Hotel
Nea Resort & People
Nea Resort & People
#1 of 1 in Shavei Tzion

Been to Rimonim Palm Beach Acre? Share your experiences!