“Bedouin Camping”

and 1 more site!
Kfar Hanokdim
Ranked #1 of 10 Speciality Lodging in Arad
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We stayed here for one night with our 44-member tour group in June 2014. Arriving in the late afternoon, we were shown to our rooms to settle in before spending an hour in one of the large tents to learn about Bedouin life. The room (really a cabin) was fine for a camping-style experience, if that's what you're expecting. The bathroom shower was configured so the entire floor got wet; there was no lip to prevent the water from spreading, which is a pain. The toilet and sink were fine, although the sink drained slowly. With plumbing in the middle of a desert, I figured it was the best they could do! The decor of the rooms was a blend of spaghetti western and 5th grade art class with a bit of middle eastern flair for good measure. The air conditioner took a bit to get going but really kept the room cool if you left it running even while you were out. The Bedouin tent experience was interesting but a little strange: our Bedouin presenter described Bedouin life as it has been for centuries, but when our group asked him questions, he answered from the perspective of modern Bedouin life. We kept trying to get him to answer from a historical perspective, but he either didn't understand or didn't care to answer that way. Some women in our group were whispering at the back of the tent during his presentation and he called them on it, which made me feel like I was back in elementary school and he was the teacher. Weird. The coffee and tea that they brought around as we lounged on the floor of the tent was delicious and the experience of sitting under the tent at sunset was really nice. Dinner was a disappointment as the meats were undercooked and the servers were rude, demanding that our group sit at assigned tables when there clearly were not enough seats. Breakfast was much improved with a nice selection of middle Eastern cuisine and western choices as well. Eating with a view of the sun rising over the desert was delightful. If I had it to do again, I'd skip this overnight stop on our tour and just do a camel ride with an afternoon visit to a Bedouin village.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Renee S
rotemi, Guest Relations Manager at Kfar Hanokdim, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear Guest,

I kindly thank you for having posted your feedback on this website.
I was happy to read that you have enjoyed desert sunset and atmosphere. Kfar Hanokdim was established to provide that kind of experience.
We also wish to provide comfortable and enjoyable conditions to our guests.
We will study your comments carefully and make adjustments and changes to better serve our guests in the future.
As for your remarks about the decor in the room, I guess it’s a matter of taste. We usually receive very positive feedback regarding our unique decors, that were designed and created by local artists.
I would like also to note that our staff is always around willing to help.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

I have been in this Bedouin village with Birthright group. It was a wonderful experience to have. The place is pretty clean and good, somewhat authentic Bedouin life. Food is fresh and good. On the one night we stayed there, they brought us some woods to light up a bonfire, and it was so much fun. Really good experience!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 May 2014

My husband and I just returned from taking 12 college students and 9 adults to Israel for an adventurous Holy Land tour with hiking and kayaking. We stayed here one night and it was so fun, especially for the students! The sleeping arrangements were 8 to a cabin. It is quiet, out in the middle of the desert. They make the coffee for you as he explains about the Bedouin life and also does a question and answer time. Our students sat around a fire and sang songs. The next morning they had breakfast ready for us to take with us for our sunrise hike up Masada! You must go here and do the camel rides as well!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank OkieHoosier
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We had a wonderful experience at the Bedouin tent. Mayan was especially helpful. When we arrived she was very accommodating! She showed us around & gave us a choice of rooms because their were not many people. Mohammed gave us a hospitality talk on Bedouin life. The dinner was wonderful! We went on a camel ride at sunset.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Robin M
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I went with a group of 47 people that were average 30 years old. Our bus was late so our camel rides were literally just a short walk. Dinner was excellent. The bedouin who gave us the welcome was very nice and was open to sharing information about him and his family. We stayed in a tent for the night, which I was really looking forward to. I brought my own blanket, which I am glad I did because I am not sure if the sleeping bags were clean. The tents also turned the heat on at night (obviously, we are in the desert) but it got pretty hot that night. The bonfire was fun. We saw a guy walking around with a gun on his waist, I'm not sure what he was protecting us from!!

The hot water in the women's bathroom was scalding hot. Most of the girls couldn't take a shower because it was too hot. Even washing your face in the sink was difficult.

This was a great location to go to Masada the next day.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nicole H
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I was really excited to go here, and am glad I did, although I was a bit disappointed. Camel ride through a bit of the dessert was neat, and dinner was very good. we had good quad mates, so it was nice. Big issue is that there is nothing to do after dinner. while they provide bonfires, but you need to make them yourself. If we had not been lucky enough to hear other guests playing music and singing, our night would have been very boring! Turned out to be so much fun, thanks to them. lots of singing and dancing.
We did not sleep in tents, as they are only for large groups, and our room was lovely, with a nice outdoor area.
they were a bit disorganized, but overall, it was a nice experience, and the price was decent.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Denred04
Reviewed 24 February 2014

everyone was nice and the property is pretty with an opportunity to sleep outdoors, but there is nothing authentic about this place other than a few Arab man in traditional garb who are employed to serve food and answer questions from tourists. looked fun for a group of kids who want a camp-like feeling but not a good fit for our family who likes to get as close to local culture as possible.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Lisa O
rotemi, Guest Relations Manager at Kfar Hanokdim, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Dear Guest,

I kindly thank you for having posted your feedback on this website.

Kfar Hanokdim was built as a desert Bedouin style tourist site that provides guests with a glimpse of Bedouin lifestyle. We try to provide the closest experience to the "real thing", by direct contact with the Bedouins, Bedouin hospitality ceremony, camel rides and the general apparent of the place (The tents, the design, etc.). Being a tourist site, has pros and cons (The pros for guests include: being inspected and having authorizations from the Ministry of Health, Fire, police, etc.).

Also consider these accommodations in or near Arad
Ein Gedi Hotel
Villa 1000
Villa 1000
#4 of 9 in Arad
Desert View _ Cohen House

Been to Kfar Hanokdim? Share your experiences!