“Sour pusses!”

Abe's Cantina y Cocina
Price range: US$0 - US$10
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 22 September 2010

The food is mediocre at best, but don't go for the food, go for there if you just want to commiserate with the staff and cooks who hate their jobs and want to make sure you know about it. Drop in if you're feeling too happy about life or just want to see a couple of miserable people who have it worse than you. It might just lift your spirits to see people in true misery, making you feel like you don't have it so bad. I would just leave the cost of your food in the tip jar and walk away rather than exposing yourself to high school cafeteria like cuisine. It might bring flashbacks.

3  Thank intrepigirl

Reviewed 9 September 2007

This was probably one of my most memorable meals during my weeklong vacation to NM. We wandered into Abes after a trip to Taos Ski Valley. My travel companion overheard someone raving about the tamales in our hotel. There is a bar on one side and a combination grocery store/restaurant on the other. i think that the restaurant closes at 5:00 pm. I would pretty much classify the restaurant as a dive. We ordered our tamales and settled into one of the tables to wait for them. The salsa and chips were excellent. The tamales (which I believe must be steamed) took almost 20 minutes to cook but the results were worth the wait. They were soft and moist and the accompanying red sauce was delicous. It is obvious that the woman who cooks the tamales behind the counter takes great pride in her cooking. I keep thinking about this delicious meal.....this was a fantastic find!

1  Thank chrisd