“A fascinating time (even during summer)!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Sydney, Australia
76 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 128 helpful votes
“A fascinating time (even during summer)!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

I just returned from visiting here with 3 other family members and we loved it. It's currently summer so it's fairly hot but as long as you get there early (or I imagine later in the afternoon) it's fine.
Officially it opens at 0800 although we got there at 0730 and were just let in (we went back and bought tickets later). The weather was perfectly comfortable and there were almost no other tourists there. By approx 1000, more had arrived but it was by no means crowded. We walked around and grabbed an iced coffee at one of the restaurants before leaving at approx 1300.
Parking was not a problem and we can't speak higher of the place. Just beautiful and fascinating!

2 Thank Paul S

51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Summer season performances”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

The amphitheater is an active theater in the summer and the season opened this year with a performance by the Red Army Ensemble.
Superb!
I saw them on their first visit to Israel more than 20 years ago - this time they used less effects (laser etc) - more dancing and singing and they honored their visit by singing no less than 3 songs in Hebrew - beautifully sung.
A very pleasant evening.

11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Just Superb!!! You Must visit this Herodian Ruin”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

My family and I had a splendid afternoon here. A fairly short drive from Tel Aviv, about 45 minutes to the north, you will experience a very impressive Herodian ruin. This archeological complex with amphitheater and stadium for chariot races is situated directly on the Mediterranean. It's impressive now and you can just imagine what it was like 2,000+ years ago when it was in use. It's fairly small so you can tour in a few hours. We didn't have a guide which was fine. Adjacent to the complex are some shops and restaurants to cool off and have a quick bite or drink. Such a fantastic place. Myself and my entire family loved visiting Caesarea. One last thing...the amphitheater is still in use for concerts. Check the schedule and you might be able to enjoy a special performance in an ancient setting.

1 Thank Mike1indy
London, United Kingdom
392 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 360 helpful votes
“Roman ruins - on the beach - with modern cafes and bars and all modern facilities”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

Caesarea Maritima was a city built by Herod and named in honour of his patron. The roman ruins are quite extensive and the hippodrome was excellent. I wasn't able to see the (apparently heavily restored) the are as it was closed to prepare for an opera that night, but the roman palace and storehouses were good as were the many mosaics. To the other end of the site are the crusader remains - many of which are occupied still by cafes and shops. In between there are gardens and all set off by the sea behind - quite relaxing.

Sarasota, Florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great if you don't have time to travel to the other sites.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Upon reading the reviews after we went to Caesarea a few days ago, I'm glad we went. We were with 6 -yr-olds and didn't have the time nor patience to drive to the other Roman sites. I enjoyed walking through the grounds. Make sure you look down from the higher points. I would not have noticed the chariot race course unless it was pointed out to me. I had even been walking on it!
We didn't have a guide but we read the information plaques.

1 Thank Ospreyjo