All reviewsbotanical gardensdining roomdead seaswimming poolsuperior roomdairy restaurantreal oasisbreakfast and dinnerjudean desertdining hallbeautiful propertybuffet styleguest houserental carfree shuttlenature reserveminute drive
Reviewed 29 March 2009

I just returned from a 3-day trip at the Dead Sea, where I made the grave mistake of booking the "romantic room" (anything but that) on the Ein Gedi Country Hotel, to spend a quality weekend with my girlfriend (27-29/3). It is by far one of the worst places I've ever been to and I would sincerely advise anyone against it. The reasons are numerous:
1. The location is not as ideal as one might imagine, judging from the web site. It is better than the surrounding desert for sure, although this doesn't say much.
2. Our "romantic" room could have been romantic 20 or 30 years ago, but now it is just a room that needs renovation BADLY. The fridge was smelly, the curtains were dirty and not properly attached (they literally fell when we tried to open them), the TV was an '80's model at best, there was nothing attractive except from a decent jakuzzi (which was decorated with hair deriving fron previous customers that nobody bothered cleaning).
3. Coming to the issue of cleaning: Nobody cleaned the roon during our short stay. The only thing that happened was that some russian lady knocked on our door yesterday morning to hand me over two towels and a toilet paper, and that was it. When I returned later on and noticed that the room was in the exact same condition I asked the receptionist why that happened and he said that the room had been cleaned but he always call the cleaning ladies. A bit late since it was already 8.30 p.m., I replied.
4. Which brings me to the issue of politeness. The employees of this hotel (with very few exceptions) are NOT familiar with terms such as kindness and politeness. The front desk leads the way, followed by the waitresses at the restaurant. They all had this "why should I care" attitude. Usually, when one departs from a hotel, the employee at the front desk asks him whether he had a nice time, if he enjoyed his stay, all sorts of questions that professionals ask. That was not the case with the Ein Gedi amateurs. As long as they got paid, a cold thank you was enough.
5. The food was nothing to cheer for. Lots of quantity, low quality, especially the meat and the desserts were a total failure.
6. My stay would have been a bit better had the hotel PC for guests (at an extra charge, another sign of amateurism) be working. That, again, was not the case. "It is out of order", was the official reply.
7. By the way, if you ever book a room at the hotel and ask for something as complicated as a bottle of wine with two glasses to be brought to your room, you will receive a negative answer from the reception, because "we do not provide such a service".
8. As regards the botanical garden and the mini zoo of the hotel, they are ok for people who come from Nevada and the likes, but for anyone with a better sense of flora and fauna, the place is nowhere close to interesting.
9. In a nutshell, 250 $ a night are far too much to spend on Ein Gedi. I wouldn't visit the place again even for 1/3 of the price. I am sure that are better places in the Dead Sea.

George from Greece

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank gkal76
Reviewed 9 January 2009

Don't expect a fancy room and a Las Vegas spa. But do expect probably the best dinner and breakfast buffets you'll find in Israel, plus a wonderful time at the Dead Sea. Two experiences not to be missed: the kibbutz/botanical garden morning tour with Daniella, and a tour of the ancient synagogue led by Yehuda, who was involved in its excavation. Both tours are free. And of course, Ein Gedi is only about 15 minutes from Masada.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank gypsyEvergreen
Reviewed 3 December 2008

I have stayed in the Ein Gedi Kibbutz Guest House about 5-6 times now, and I think I am way behind in giving this hotel a well-deserved mention.

This time, we stayed at the Kibbutz for 2 nights, and were booked into a regular garden-view room. We arrived at about 1pm, and were told our room was not ready. However, we could already make use of the Ein Gedi Spa if we chose to. We went for lunch and managed to check in when we returned at about 2.30pm.

The first night, we joined a small group on a guided tour of the kibbutz's botanical gardens. The guide was probably about 65yo, and is one of the earliest kibbutz-niks who started this kibbutz. He was very funny, and knowledgeable, and we thoroughly enjoyed the 1-hour stroll.

The second night, there was a sing-along session organised at the main lobby. They played a variety of music, ranging from Israelli to world music. It was rather upbeat, and quite a few hotel guests actually stood up to dance. Of particular note was a lady, perhaps in her 70s, but dressed in her nines, and she swirled around like a little girl. Once again, we had another great night.

I noticed that the kibbutz is continuously upgrading their rooms - I remember the rooms had wet bathrooms during the first few times I stayed there; but this time, there was actually a shower cubicle. Also, thumbs up for all the staff - they have always been very friendly.

For anyone travelling to Israel, I would highly recommend a visit to the Dead Sea, and spending a few nights at the Ein Gedi Kibbutz. It is an experience that you will never forget.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 October 2008

We stayed one night in one of the upper Arugot rooms. Unfortunately not in one of those that have stunning views into the canyon. We looked into some trees. Nevertheless the rooms are spacious, clean and have everything necessary. Only down point: you can hear your neighbours talk through the wall.The spa on the dead sea is a 5-10 min. drive away. It is a bit of a worn out place, but gives you the possibility for the whole Dead Sea experience. The service at the hotel is very friendly and efficient. The dining room has some of the old kibbutz chader ochel charm about it, and at the same time very nice service and an overwhelming variety of delicious food for breakfast and dinner. Great pool with stunning views. Phantastic air and beautiful gardens in the kibbutz complete a great experience. We want to come back and explore the area more. We travelled with an American friend who is in his eighties and used to quite some luxury. He chose Ein Gedi as his favourite of the whole trip through Israel and Jordan!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2008

We stayed in this place having booked a room at the last minute after being badly let down by the Massada Guest House.
It was wonderful. The food was absolutely delicious (one of the dishes was among my top 3 from the entire trip). The room was spacious, and whilst basic had all the things we needed, including tea and coffee-making facilities (though our friends stayed in the Desert Room, and I'd be careful about splashing out for one of these - I don't think it's really worth it)... It's only 15 mins from the foot of Massada, which we climbed the following morning, and then headed back for a dip in the pool before heading off. The pool is spectacular - large and cool, and overlooking the Dead Sea. You also get access to the spa by the Dead Sea.
We loved this place and would be very happy to go back - highly recommended!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends