Heritage Inn
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$138
US$134
US$128
La Quinta Inn & Suites Artesia(Artesia)(Great Value!)
US$152
US$300
US$203
US$389
US$371
All reviewssecond floorb bcarlsbad cavernsan older buildingoatmealspent one night hererooms are beautifully decoratedroof patiotwo flights of stairshealth clubwe ate breakfastwasher dryerwonderful stayboutique hoteldecent hotelcomfy bedthe breakfast area
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 May 2010

While on a ride across Amereica on Vespa to riase money for a charity (http://lostboater.blogspot.com/), I came across the Heritage Inn and Sue the Innkeeper.
It is just what I needed after riding all day in the cold and wind. The rooms where large and comfortable with great showers. Sue was extremely helpful from getting my computer fixed to calling ahead to check on gas stops for the Vespa. It was so comfortable I took a 24 hour break. I went out and met the people in the small town and they where all as friendly and helpful as Sue. This is a place I would go out of my way to stay again.
One caveate is that you do have to climb to the second floor of a restored orginal building to reach the Inn.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank larryljk
Reviewed 6 May 2010

I have to say that this Inn was my favorite place that we stayed while touring New Mexico. The room was immaculately clean. The lady that cleaned the place had the best personality, too. Sue the innkeeper was a jewel. She was very warm and welcoming but not intrusive in any way. She was very helpful and reassuring on the phone when I needed directions to one of our destinations. The overall atmosphere and feel of the hotel was very friendly and relaxing. I travel a good bit, and I agree with the other traveler that said they wished they could take this place with them wherever they travel!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank michellesnipes
Reviewed 19 April 2010

I honestly don't know why anyone would stay anywhere else in the area, the Heritage Inn is so good. Although this is technically a B&B, the amenities and the facility itself are equal to a very high-star hotel - but with a friendlier hostess! The rooms are well appointed (and not that sickly sweet decor found in many B&Bs), there is a good breakfast, and it is all around terrific. The only problem I could foresee would be if someone had difficulty with stairs - the inn is on the second floor of an older building, so there is a good climb to get there.

And there is a brew pub across the street - what more could you want.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Breadbird
Reviewed 7 April 2010

This bed & breakfast caught my eye on Trip Advisor although Artesia was not a main destination for us. We had embarked on our trip and decided we didn't want to spend another night in a bland hotel on Carlsbad's main strip, so Artesia became an overnight stop on our way to White Sands. The Hertiage Inn surpassed our expectations. The rooms are decorated with country charm, cozy, spotlessly clean and comfortable. Sue, the innkeeper, was exceptionally warm and welcoming. She provided us with a roll-away single be for our 9 year old son - there was plenty of room. Breakfast was the standard fare in a cozy area; I didn't think twice about padding out in the common area in my PJ's for a drink or magazine. I highly recommend this B&B - it has all the comforts of home.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank TripChicNJ
Reviewed 26 November 2009

The Heritage Inn provides all the amenities and then some -- a four star Inn at a two star price.

Greeted personally by the innkeeper & owner, Sue Kehoe, she showed us the 24-hour tea & coffee nook (including a small microwave available to anyone - AND free popcorn). Free continental breakfast, with rather more options than I've usually encountered. Sue clearly takes pride in her inn, and she has good reason to do so.

As other reviewers have noted, there's also a 50-cent honor system fridge fully stocked with sodas & bottled water -- as well as a filtered/chilled water fountain nearby for those of us who like to refill used bottles. A nice patio out back, free for anyone to use -- not much of a view, but a pleasant spot to have breakfast & surf the web. Speaking of which, the Heritage does have wireless DSL which worked great for us, but as yet another example of Sue's utter solicitude she said we could hook up directly to the router if necessary, which was on a desk in the back area. There's also a nice parlor/sitting area downstairs, and a washer and dryer in another area that are free for guest use.

The only downside I could see to the Heritage is the rooms themselves were somewhat small and could have used a more comfy chair for reading. On the other hand, the entire place was immaculately clean, decorated like somebody's home, and had everything we needed, including a small in-room fridge. The bed was extremely comfortable, way beyond our expectations when on the road. The shower was great, too.

The Heritage Inn has the advantage of being in a small town, right on the main street, with all the advantages that implies. After checking in, you don't need to get back in your car to go find a restaurant or to do a little small-town window shopping -- stuff is right there, often within just a few blocks. About 50 minutes closer to where we were coming from (Albuquerque area), Artesdia is far less expensive and less commercial a place than Carlsbad to the south (our eventual tourist destination, to visit the caverns, of course, as well as the Living Desert Zoo & Museum). Artesia is not the prettiest...there is a fairly industrial look to it, including a rather aromatic refinery at one end of town (no worry, not noticeable at all inside the Inn). But it looks and feels REAL, like a town with real history, not some artificial facade of cookie-cutter franchises and faux southwest pretensions.

Anyway, absolutely, without a doubt we'd be happy to stay at the Heritage Inn again.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple