“Dirty, disgusting, awful”

Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Nahariya
Connecticut
“Dirty, disgusting, awful”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I think the other reviews written on this hotel are far too kind. This is quite simply one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed at in every category. The only thing redeeming about it is its location … if you must stay in Nahariya – which I did for business. It is convenient to walking around the city’s main street and its various restaurants. That’s it. I can’t think of a single other redeeming quality because the hotel’s management does not even seem to care about getting basic things right, most importantly cleanliness. I don’t think the hallways had been vacuumed for months, if ever.

The hotel seems to be trying to rebrand itself as “new”. Don’t be fooled. There is nothing modern about this hotel. After getting glared at by the old guy who sits at the front door (security? … not sure, he seemed more interest in smoking than paying attention to people entering), the lobby area greets you with an overpowering stench of air freshener. The front desk staff are surly. At one point I had to ask the front desk person how to turn a light off in my room (they had mounted the TV to the wall so that it covered the light switch and I couldn’t find it). Their response to my question: “Do you need it turned off tonight?” Yes, I would be fine with sleeping with my light on because you’re either too understaffed or lazy to give me five minutes of your time. This attitude is quite simply unforgivable in the hotel business.

Housekeeping was atrocious. There was something unclean or broken everywhere I looked. I don’t think they ever actually cleaned my room all week – just replaced some of the towels. A long black hair – not mine - remained in the corner of my bathtub all week. When I shook out my blanket when leaving, a blond hairball fell out. Perfect. I had been sleeping with that for three nights. One day, I couldn’t even get a consistent flow of hot water for the shower. For the first time in my life, I felt I had to keep my socks on at night because I didn’t want to touch the floor. I zipped my luggage shut for fear of what might be lurking in the dusty corners of my room. I could go on, but I think you get the picture.

Some people give high marks to the breakfast buffet. I don’t know where these people spend their time eating to be so impressed with it. The orange juice tastes like some kind of Tang-like mixture. Raw fish and salad was in abundance, if you like that kind of thing. Even if I did eat that for breakfast, there was no way I was going to risk getting sick by even touching what appeared to be days-old fish. As for the grill, it was either hard-boiled eggs or risk eating something made by the cook. Three out of three days I was there, he set off the smoke alarm. The kitchen vent hood couldn’t keep up with everything he was burning.

This hotel was so bad, it was humorous. Every morning, my colleagues had new stories of horrors they encountered overnight. One said that he would rather sleep at our factory than stay at the Carlton again, and I have to agree. I would have left before even completing one night if I had that choice. I would have complained more if I thought anyone would care. They don't. Either management needs to get serious about running a hotel, or they need to find something else to do.

Room Tip: You could ask for a renovated room, but I don't think you'll find one. Of the seven people...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Jay405

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Hebrew first
Jerusalem
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

I have been to this hotel with my family last September, in Roshhashana holiday. I haven't been to the pool, but the rooms are very old. It was also very expensive compared with what they have to offer. The area is nice, it is right in the center of Naharya, so there are plenty restaurants and cafés in a walking distance. The food was very tasty, BUT their hygiene level was very low. I have seen serving spoons swim in the salad, and people pick them out from the salad while putting their hands in. There was even stool on the floor in the dining room and the crew did not clean it thoroughly. I know it sounds like a fairy tale but it is 100% true. I will never go back to this hotel.

Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Hidey_11

Travellers are raving about these Nahariya hotels

Haifa, Israel
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We stayed here for a two-day conference of a non-profit organisation and the Carlton, though not luxurious, proved to be an OK venue. It was advertised to us as 'the refurbished Carlton' and the public areas have definitely been modernised and upgraded. The corridors and bedrooms are rather shabby in places.The location is good - on the main street of Nahariya with all facilities closeby and walking distance from the train station, if you don't have heavy luggage. All the staff were pleasant and helpful and coped well with our large group in the dining room. The food was standard buffet fare but good and plentyful with 'eggs' prepared efficiently on request at breakfast. Our social evening was held in the hotel's pleasant event venue, the Scala Nightclub, attached to the hotel. The hotel has a car park at the rear but you have to be very lucky to get into it!

Room Tip: Our room looked out mainly on to a blank wall but was quiet. You might want to avoid rooms that over...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank LeeF62
Netanya, HaMerkaz, Israel
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

We paid 700 NIS for 1 night HB. For the room we got I would pay top 100 NIS if no less. The room was not very clean, old, the door to the room wouldn't close until u gave it a good shove! There were 2 adjunct beds instead of 1 big one. They said they had cable, well, they had few channels from cable, and regular Israeli TV. The bathroom had some black stains in it, the water in the shower was hard to regulate - it was either too hot or cold.
On the plus side, there was tea and coffee in the room and fridge.
Very noisy! The kids running in corridors felt like they run on your head, we could hear babies crying and kids screaming in other rooms as if they were in ours, could hear our neighbours taking a shower.
The hotel was full of people! The lobby is very cold and small, there were 2 elevators, one was Shabbat and the other barely moved. Ugly, cold atmosphere in the hotel!
And yet, the food was pretty good, variety. I asked for hot tea at dinner, they told me they can't make one cause it's Shabbat, and yet in the morning it was there although it was still Shabbat. No other complaints about the restaurant, pretty good.
Spa. I don't know who was the "genious" who thought of the idea, but the jaccuzzi is on this verand where there are no windows, and it pretty windy and cold there. And the water in the jaccuzzi is not very hot!
Other than that the spa is nice, u can get massages there or just sit, relax, read magazines, watch TV, there is tea, coffee, pastries there.
There is outside pool in this hotel, but only in summer.
I will not be going back there and I don't recommend it!!!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 December 2013

we needed a place to sleep for one night.
this is what our company found and it was ok but hey... do not develope any expectations... just a place to lay your head after a long drive...
the hot water was either boiling or very cold...
the breakfast was nice and quite complete.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Our family of five enjoyed our stay at this well located hotel.The rooms were adjoining and nice,everything worked as it was expected to.We only stayed one night as we toured Israel but we were happy and would go back again

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

The location is great , but the service , food , cleanlinnes , and staff are very bad .
I have never had such a bad experience !!! i will never recomend the hotel , and will never go back .
They should have a rate of two stars not four !!!

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Omer D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nahariya
Madison Hotel Nahariya
#1 of 1 in Shavei Tzion
Dan Panorama Haifa
Dan Panorama Haifa
#9 of 28 in Haifa

Been to Carlton Nahariya? Share your experiences!