“Good if you like 1 star”
Review of Carlton Nahariya

Carlton Nahariya
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Nahariya
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I arrived for 2 nights business stay. After what seemed an eternity, I eventually got checked in (a 2 or 3 minute exercise taking more than 20 minutes). Upon arrival I was informed there was no parking except on the street as car-park was full. This was frustrating having to navigate an area I was completely unfamiliar with but eventually found a blue white kerb parking area. The walk to my room was grubby, dirty carpets, dirty towels lying in laundry bags outside many of rooms on route. I went for dinner with my client and came back around 2130 hours and asked for a glass of wine at reception as bar seemed to be closed. I was informed that this was not possible as the bar was closed. I have never experienced the like before and duly went to bed for a good nights sleep. I decided, given my experience the previous night, next morning not to have breakfast. I went to meet with my clients and arrived back to my non smoking room to have a shower and clean up before going out to dinner again. When I walked down the hallway to my room (this time minus all the dirty towel laundry bags), I opened my door to find all the bed linen had been removed from beds (including the clean unused second bed in my room), all the clean towels and the one I had used had also been removed. There was also the stench of cigarette butts in an ashtray and smoke in my room. Someone had been in my room smoking cigarettes. I called reception and complained that I had a dinner appointment, need a shower but could not due to the state of my room. I travel a lot and I have cone across many things but this experience was extreme. There is no concept of what an international guest expects, none! Sorry to be so negative and disappointed.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank MTPOCKETS2014

Reviewed 25 July 2014

We stayed here for two weeks in June 2014 as we have friends in the area, so used it as our base. The rooms were nice, clean and everything worked. There was a good choice for breakfast. The hotel was very quiet during the week but come Friday and Saturday it was very busy and noisy with lots of kids running around. Luckily we were never around the pool at this time. It isn't cheap but nothing else in the area had it all ie. central location, large rooms, swimming pool etc. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kareneduk
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Very dirty hotel, the chemicals used to clean the floor were impossible to breathe. Carpet in the room full of stains, the bed was hard, no additional pillows, not shampoo or other toiletries. They had a multiuse type soap in a dispenser. Parking impossible you had to call for someone to open the gate in the back and you park your car next to the dumpsters.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Neluta G
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

About the only hotel in Naharia.Very old.It has been redecorated but still you can feel it is old. It is placed in acovenient place near the railway station on the main street gaaton. The room was clean.THe spa closes at 7.30 didnt use it.bfeakfast was very good.....dinner was eatable.not too much to say.I Wouldnt chose it for a family vacation

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I think the other reviews written on this hotel are far too kind. This is quite simply one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed at in every category. The only thing redeeming about it is its location … if you must stay in Nahariya – which I did for business. It is convenient to walking around the city’s main street and its various restaurants. That’s it. I can’t think of a single other redeeming quality because the hotel’s management does not even seem to care about getting basic things right, most importantly cleanliness. I don’t think the hallways had been vacuumed for months, if ever.

The hotel seems to be trying to rebrand itself as “new”. Don’t be fooled. There is nothing modern about this hotel. After getting glared at by the old guy who sits at the front door (security? … not sure, he seemed more interest in smoking than paying attention to people entering), the lobby area greets you with an overpowering stench of air freshener. The front desk staff are surly. At one point I had to ask the front desk person how to turn a light off in my room (they had mounted the TV to the wall so that it covered the light switch and I couldn’t find it). Their response to my question: “Do you need it turned off tonight?” Yes, I would be fine with sleeping with my light on because you’re either too understaffed or lazy to give me five minutes of your time. This attitude is quite simply unforgivable in the hotel business.

Housekeeping was atrocious. There was something unclean or broken everywhere I looked. I don’t think they ever actually cleaned my room all week – just replaced some of the towels. A long black hair – not mine - remained in the corner of my bathtub all week. When I shook out my blanket when leaving, a blond hairball fell out. Perfect. I had been sleeping with that for three nights. One day, I couldn’t even get a consistent flow of hot water for the shower. For the first time in my life, I felt I had to keep my socks on at night because I didn’t want to touch the floor. I zipped my luggage shut for fear of what might be lurking in the dusty corners of my room. I could go on, but I think you get the picture.

Some people give high marks to the breakfast buffet. I don’t know where these people spend their time eating to be so impressed with it. The orange juice tastes like some kind of Tang-like mixture. Raw fish and salad was in abundance, if you like that kind of thing. Even if I did eat that for breakfast, there was no way I was going to risk getting sick by even touching what appeared to be days-old fish. As for the grill, it was either hard-boiled eggs or risk eating something made by the cook. Three out of three days I was there, he set off the smoke alarm. The kitchen vent hood couldn’t keep up with everything he was burning.

This hotel was so bad, it was humorous. Every morning, my colleagues had new stories of horrors they encountered overnight. One said that he would rather sleep at our factory than stay at the Carlton again, and I have to agree. I would have left before even completing one night if I had that choice. I would have complained more if I thought anyone would care. They don't. Either management needs to get serious about running a hotel, or they need to find something else to do.

Room Tip: You could ask for a renovated room, but I don't think you'll find one. Of the seven people...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Jay405
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

I have been to this hotel with my family last September, in Roshhashana holiday. I haven't been to the pool, but the rooms are very old. It was also very expensive compared with what they have to offer. The area is nice, it is right in the center of Naharya, so there are plenty restaurants and cafés in a walking distance. The food was very tasty, BUT their hygiene level was very low. I have seen serving spoons swim in the salad, and people pick them out from the salad while putting their hands in. There was even stool on the floor in the dining room and the crew did not clean it thoroughly. I know it sounds like a fairy tale but it is 100% true. I will never go back to this hotel.

Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Hidey_11
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We stayed here for a two-day conference of a non-profit organisation and the Carlton, though not luxurious, proved to be an OK venue. It was advertised to us as 'the refurbished Carlton' and the public areas have definitely been modernised and upgraded. The corridors and bedrooms are rather shabby in places.The location is good - on the main street of Nahariya with all facilities closeby and walking distance from the train station, if you don't have heavy luggage. All the staff were pleasant and helpful and coped well with our large group in the dining room. The food was standard buffet fare but good and plentyful with 'eggs' prepared efficiently on request at breakfast. Our social evening was held in the hotel's pleasant event venue, the Scala Nightclub, attached to the hotel. The hotel has a car park at the rear but you have to be very lucky to get into it!

Room Tip: Our room looked out mainly on to a blank wall but was quiet. You might want to avoid rooms that over...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank LeeF62
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nahariya
Madison Hotel Nahariya
#1 of 1 in Maalot Tarshikha
Nof Tavor Hotel
Nof Tavor Hotel
#9 of 14 in Nazareth

Been to Carlton Nahariya? Share your experiences!