“Average Hotel outside of the city, rather 3*”

Gardenia Nazareth Hotel
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Nazareth
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We have spent 3 night at this hotel, as part of a pilgrimage in Israel. I would say this hotel is an average. We did not stay in luxury hotels, and this hotel was like the average of our hotels. I would not give 4 stars to this hotel. I have never seen the pool, so I cannot review this part. Rooms were clean as well as the hotel. Staff was friendly but in some cases they cannot manage the situation (eg. when people of 2-3 buses would like to have breakfast at the same time). The hotel is located outside of the city in a very calm suburb, but you can reach the center in about 20-30 minutes walk.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Szaby

Reviewed 10 February 2014

This hotel just looks good in pictures. Everything looks good till you check in at the front desk. We were a group of 24 people (Oct'13). Rooms were so small and had all kinds of problems. They show a better and bigger looking room in their website. But its not the same when you get there. The room key they gave us would not open the door. Even the porter had to play with the lock for a while to open the door. The doors had the new key cards on them too, so when we asked for the key card we were told all cards have problems that's way we gave you Keys!! The bed covers were so small that it covered the top side of the bed. One could see the mattress from the all sides!! Walls were so shallow that we could hear the conversation of the people next door. Phones in the rooms were not working so we had to go the front desk / reception every time if we need something. The front desk staff always looks at you like they have a problem with you. The night we checked-in we were all so tired and we could not sleep at all as there was a wedding going on which was outside and unfortunately "RIGHT" behind our rooms. So there was loud Arabic music all nights. They had even booked some rooms so there were kids and drunk men who very loud and kept knocking our door thinking that it was their room. This went on all night!! When we complained at they complained at the front desk they told us we are sorry its the wedding season!! Dont worry its only going to be for tonight!! Food was so so. We had made the reservations prior to our trip with specific requests. We were 14 individuals and only 5 couples. They gave all of us rooms with double beds!! When asked for twin beds for 14 individuals sorry we are all sold out. They say they are a 4 star hotel...I wonder what are there standards. They have a huge place so they can do better, but they treat guests like they don't care!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Gmanjali
Reviewed 29 August 2013

This is one of these hotels that you would enjoy much more if the staff knew how to behave and the food was much bettet. The facility is charming: beautiful gardens, nice and comfortable rooms, but the maintanance needs to be improved and so does the behaviour of the workers. There were twice when I approached the person in charge of the dining room to show him the vbad quality of the vegetables and fruit, and he actually told me off, as if I did something wrong. The swimming pool is cute.

Room Tip: The rooms near the pool are nice.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Avitalp3
Reviewed 24 June 2013

The good: Lovely grounds and view.

The rest: We arrived at the same time as a large group, so the "bell-boys" were just not available. We could wait about an hour, or take our luggage up to our room ourselves. We opted to take our luggage, and embarked on a 5 minute walk, with none of the staff we encountered en-route able to tell us where our rooms were. Our adjoining rooms, were indeed next to each other, but not in the same block, so that we had to go down one set of stairs and then up another set of stairs to get from one room to the other.

The following is the description copied from their website, with my comments in parenthesis:
Garden rooms: All rooms come with soft (maybe 20 years ago) carpeted floors (in some areas), each room is equipped with air conditioning (which needs their electrician [who was not on site] to switch the entire system over from heating [winter mode] to cooling [summer mode] – “maybe tomorrow, maybe day after”), flat screen TV (smaller than my computer screen) with satellite channels (ideally you should have a fluent understanding of Arabic to appreciate any of the channels), safes and mini bar (mini-bar must be local slang for “miniscule fridge – empty – with annoyingly loud motor”) at your service. Rooms have private access to a vast open garden area, overlooking the surrounding nature (and are overlooked by the adjacent prison courtyard).

My room had no working light bulbs, so I picked up the phone to call Reception. The phone didn’t work. I went to Reception desk to mention both points. Ultimately, someone arrived with one bulb – we opted for the bathroom – and said he would return with more later. The air conditioner can only be operated by a remote, ours didn’t have one, and the TV only works with a remote; but ours didn't work with it. The bath fills up with yellowish water, we opted for showers only. The pièce de résistance, (drumroll please) that flimsy piece of cheap plastic, the toilet seat and lid, were not actually connected to the pan, and as soon as you sat on it, it would slide all over the place.

Another trek to Reception, (phone still dead), mentioned the phone, lights, air-conditioner, TV and toilet-seat. I was told they would deal with it all immediately, we should go to lunch, and when we get back, it will be sorted.

After lunch, indeed 2 more bulbs had been changed (the bedside lights still dead), batteries had been left by the TV remote – I changed them and it worked – and… that was it.

Yet another trek to Reception, which was followed by listening to a frantic exchange in Arabic on mobile phones, to be told that the engineer came to our room, but there was no remote for the AC so he couldn’t check if it works. I replied that was my point, and was accosted by another debate in Arabic, followed by an assurance that he would come again with a remote. Another similar call was placed, resulting in my being informed that the plumber had been, and the toilet was flushing, he doesn’t understand my problem. With hand gestures and Pidgin English, I tried to best describe the situation. The girl behind the counter assured me she understands and went back to the phone to shout at the plumber. Eventually, I was told to go back to my room, they were coming.

I arrived back with the engineer, who took out a remote from his pocket, aimed it at the AC unit, pressed a button and it started working. Wonderful! It was 34C outside and the AC was heating! Ah! It takes a few moments to start cooling, I was told. He takes the remote and starts to go. Hold on – leave the remote! He can’t, it’s borrowed from another room. Whilst I’m back at Reception requesting a remote, the plumber has been, flushed the WC and gone. I get back to the room, the AC is still heating – I can’t even switch it off – no toilet seat and no phone.

This time I actually took the seat with me to Reception, they looked at it then at me and, in bewilderment, enquired what the problem is, it’s not broken? I said it’s also not fixed to the WC! They finally got it. Within 5 hours of arriving, my toilet had a seat, there were lights in the room and bathroom, the TV worked and, thanks to a new remote, I could switch the AC between heat and off. It took 3 days for them to get the AC throughout the Hotel to transfer from heating to cooling.

Food, not bad, particularly if you like the same menu - with only slight variation - every day. The staff are friendly and try their best, just aren’t particularly well trained. Facilities are very basic, free wi-fi in the lobby, but if more than 3 people availing themselves of this service the internet speed becomes watching-paint-dry-ingly slow. The bar makes a good ‘Turkish Coffee’ but nothing exciting in the beers, wines or spirits department. The pool, can’t say, at the end of April, outdoor temp mid 30s and it was emptied of water (winter season) and used as storage for outdoors furniture or something.

Safety is not a big priority; there is only one exit from the dining room. Some kids were playing with fire in the hallway outside the dining room, which turned into a great blaze, but there was no way out other than 300 people stampeding through the dining room door with less than a 0.5m between the door and the flames to squeeze by.

Finally, my phone never did get seen too, so at least I was never awakened by a call being put through to my room by mistake.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank Joseph H
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Arrogant Front office staff ...
Irresponsible and no idea about hospitality industry...
Restaurant manager part of a money exchange scam team.. don't try to exchange money with the shop owner ... you will be duped...
Third rate breakfast ...
Coffee shop will not function during the morning .... impossible to get a cup of coffee until 7.30 AM
Air con in the room was not functioning
Hot water will take 15 min..

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 May 2013

At the door of this hotel there is a little sticker saying that it is rated one of the top hotels in trip Advisor. I can say it is a complete lie! The building looks very old, and when we went to our rooms (I was traveling with my family) we were greeted with dirty walls and lamps, a bug inside the bed and a very old and dirty bathroom. We called our agency and asked for a change of hotel, we did have dinner there in a buffet style restaurant, the food was ok, but the cutlery was also stained. The staff was not helpful at all, they were sleeping in some couches, and when we reported a dripping inside one of the bathrooms they only cleaned the water but did not fixed it. All in all it was a short lived nightmare. I would not recommend this hotel.
The only good thing I can say about this place is that the rooms did have a good view of the valley.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 May 2013

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at.
We stayed there three nights, as part of a group who visited this part of Israel.
Rooms are large, but are neglected and poorly maintained.
The closet doors do not close or open easily, near coffee machine there is not an electrical plug, in the bathroom there is only not liquid soap and not any other cream, shampoo, etc.. The TV has a very limited number of channels, missing even the Israeli national channels (except for one).
Often in the Lobby or in the dining room air conditioning does not work, despite the heat outside.
At the table, very few dishes are offered and they are not good quality and quantity. The bread is the simplest and cheapest, only one type. One morning even boiled water for coffee or tea was over and no one rushed to bring another. The only dessert offered at the dinner were poor quality apples. The waiters in the dining room do not bring from their own initiative any product (cheese, coffee, eggs, plates, etc) which are finished or missing.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends