“As a previous person stated, "Your staying in a Kibuttz"” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kibbutz Lavi Hotel

Kibbutz Lavi Hotel
Ranked #10 of 37 Hotels in Tiberias
Winnipeg, Canada
“As a previous person stated, "Your staying in a Kibuttz"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

We are traveling with Globus tours "Fascinating Isreal"
We very much appreciated having a night in the country.
The room was comfortable, spotless clean. Quiet at night.
We had good food.
Enjoyed walking the grounds.
And attended the lecture on the history of the Kibbutz.
You have amazing views of the countryside.
They offer free wifi. And the connection was great.
All the staff very very pleasant to talk with
Give it a try

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Riorouge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Hebrew first
Roanoke, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

Israeli hotels are significantly different than their American counterparts. How? Two words come to mind: utilitarian and minimalist.

I visited this property in late March 2014, as part of a 22 person group that was touring Israel. Hotel Lavi served as our central base of operations for two days and we spent very little time (other than sleeping) in this property.

Location: Off the beaten path, which depending upon your perspective is either a good or bad thing. Do NOT select this hotel if you want to shop, bar hop or visit local restaurants. You are a decent distance away from any of those options. The positive, is that the location was quiet and peaceful.

Food: Perhaps a cut above typical Israeli hotel fare. Since this hotel seems to cater to large groups, visiting the dining room does call for some (although not an excessive amount) of patience since one will encounter lines and fellow visitors jockeying for food. The staff did a fantastic job of keeping food replenished during peak periods and we found that the variety and quality of food for breakfast and dinner more than acceptable. Keep in mind that this is an Orthodox Kibbutz and food selection follows traditional Kashrut law.

Room: Our room was minimalist in nature and we liked it. Wooden floors, clever LED lighting, a large bathroom (with plenty of shelf storage) and a pretty decent view. The only two annoyances, no wash clothes (seems to be true throughout Israel) and a fairly noisy mini refrigerator that was located in the closet. Other than the top shelf of the bathroom with a layer of dust, we found our room to be VERY clean (I'm 6'6" and can see things that others can't). We did notice just a whiff of unpleasant odor in the bathroom (possibly sewer gas, but didn't smell exactly like that) but it was very minor, not always noticeable and a non-issue at night when we simply kept the bathroom door closed.

Grounds: Never had a chance to see them. Another member of our group told us that the 1 mile walking/jogging path around the hotel was very nice.

Staff: Only staff members that we encountered where people in the gift shop (FANTASTICALLY friendly and helpful), the bartender (a bit surly, but we had just visited Golan Winery and "imported" our own bottle into the hotel bar) and a member of the Kibbutz that very earnestly talked with our group about Kibbutz life in a "traditional" (Lavi is one of 20 remaining traditional Kibbutz) Kibbutz.

Whenever I check out of a hotel, I ALWAYS ask two questions:
1) Did I receive value for my money?
2) Would I stay here again?

Since this stay was bundled with the cost of our trip, I have no way to fully answer this first question. Would I stay here again? Depends on the cost and whether the location would be an issue. If the cost is reasonable ($200 USD seems to be the cost of a decent hotel in Israel) and I had transportation then yes, I wouldn't hesitate to book a room at this hotel.

Room Tip: Bring your own wash cloth.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank audio_man01
United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

Clean-pleasant staff- nice little bar (with decent) wine- a little work out room. Beds/baths clean and quiet ~ it was all good for me. I'll stay there again! I liked the atmosphere of the kibbutz- a real taste of Israeli history and life.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Skygal124
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

I came here with a big tour group and it appears this is what the hotel caters to most from what I have seen. The place is just average really. Clean, relatively new and rooms well kept. The hotel is a good distance from Tiberius. So if you want to get away, relax, and do nothing much this is the place for you. If you like to shop, go to nice restaurants this is NOT the place for you. Just depends what you want. I do not mean this in a bad way. You just need to understand what this place is all about. It is a Kibbutz. In house restaurant serves the staple of food what we have been eating in these big buffets. I am glad I came to experience this and understand what this is all about but I prefer more luxurious amenities.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank miked3328
Freehold, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights in mid-March as independent travelers, one of the few couples not part of a group. We got an upgraded room, at the 'Hod' level which had a balcony which we did not use because of the rainy weather. The room was fairly new, comfortable, and roomy. We had both breakfast and dinner at the kibbutz, which we enjoyed, particularly the large selection of Israeli salads. On the downside, the man at the front desk was a bit abrupt and did not alert us to the English language evening talk on Kibbutz life. We did not see the notice about the talks until the next day when that evening's talk was in Italian, probably catering to an Italian group.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Martin H
Tweed Heads, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

I've pondered what to write about this hotel because normally I try to keep reviews as positive as possible but I'm afraid with the Kibbutz Lavi I have some negative comments as well. We stayed for two nights as part of a small tour group. The first night we arrived late after a huge day of travelling and sight-seeing and were feeling absolutely exhausted. After dinner we then attended an interesting talk on the workings of this kibbutz and life on the kibbutz in general presented by a nice man who'd lived there for over twenty years. It was rather good to learn a few things about it all. My first impression of the kibbutz hotel was how far away from reception our room was, probably the furthest distance than in any other hotel I've stayed in across the world. My first impression of the room was that is was okay and perfectly acceptable, but first impressions can be deceiving. Within seconds I could see that it hadn't been cleaned properly, if at all. The toilet had an odour of urine, and around the bed, bits of dropped pretzels, threads and other unidentified things were here and there on the carpet. A disgrace. However, being too exhausted to walk all the way back to reception and ask to change rooms so late or even call, I checked the bed, the linen and towels (which were clean) and decided to fall straight into bed and deal with it in the morning. After complaining to reception first thing in the morning, we then left for the day. When we returned that evening the room had been cleaned immaculately. It even smelt nice. A satisfactory result. Now to the food: I wasn't impressed one bit and would best describe it as ordinary. This hotel's food is no culinary delight. So mixed feelings here. Maybe some kibbutz members try hard to get things right, maybe some don't...I don't know. But what I do know is that this place fell well short of my standards. One good thing though and credit where credit is due ... the wifi worked really well.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Deb A
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

I am still cringing when I think about how badly designed this place is. The architects and designers should be punished along with whoever funded this building. The bathrooms are tiny with NO counter space and a door that swings inward hitting the toilet. The bedrooms are small with low beds and too much large furniture. Windows must be closed for the room fan to work and there is no fan in the bathroom. Carpet is old and dirty. Included meals are mediocre.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple