“Public areas maintained, room in disrepair”

Gai Beach Resort Spa Hotel
Ranked #11 of 38 Hotels in Tiberias
Jerusalem, Israel
“Public areas maintained, room in disrepair”
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I've read a few of the contributions to Tripadvisor decribing this hotel, and think that I can explain the disparity between the people who give 5 stars and those who give 3 stars. The public areas ( lobby, dining room, outdoor area with gorgeous view of lake and distant Golan Heights) are brightly lit, well aired, immaculate and quite pretty. The rooms, on the other hand (we got room 254, but they are all in the same beehive construction) are shabby, tired rooms that have had no repairs on maintenance for a long, long time. When we got to our room, I did a quick inspection:

0. The whole guest wing has a sewer smell that is partially masked by a sickly sweet ? air freshener, that in itself is overpowering and gave me a headache
1. Room is clean, bathroom clean and ready for new guest
2. air-conditioning mostly works.
3. TV (crappy brand) with bad resolution works (remote battery almost dead, need to stand next to TV to use it, which sort of defeats the purpose
3a. refrigerator (crappier brand) barely cold and very minimal space for even a large coke bottle (need to lie it at an angle).
4. Clothes cabin has two shelves that are in place, there's a safe taking up most of the space on one of them, third shelf lying on bottom of cabinet because retaining brackets snapped (some years ago?
4. bathroom had cheap soap bars, cheap shampoo/conditioner combo, and 2 pairs of so-so small bath towels and hand towels.
5. bathtub (40 years old?) stained, with many poorly repaired enamel chips, shower apparatus stiff, hard to use, leaks
6. small safe doesn't lock (In this hotel, didn't even want to start with any requests to the staff)
7. small sliding door to patio - no screen (mosquito heaven here, I would imagine), dirty white plastic chairs and small plastic table not cleaned in a long time, view obscured by building and trees.
8. Breakfast was the worst we've had in any Israeli hotel, which usually have really nice breakfasts. Many of the items came our of cans or jars. Bread dull little dry rolls. Coffee excrable (cheap Robusta made really weak, not even good for a caffeine hit!)
9. Staff friendly and helpful (They had 5 young men mopping the lobby floor at the same time, How bizarre! They should have them working in the guest rooms instead.)

We came here with a group and got a really cheap rate. I wouldn't, in my wildest dreams, pay the $200/night or whatever the rack rate is for this hotel. $120 TOPS. Tiberias has a lot of old hotels that the management is apprently letting run down while maintaining a cash flow by hyping their Website pictures and copywriting. The hotel caters to large groups, both local and from abroad, who will never return, so I think the the management isn't counting on return customers and therefore doesn't care that the guest rooms are years past needing a major investment to bring them up to 4 star status. I'd also recommend upgrading the toiletries they provide from public bathroom quality to what I usually see in 3 - 4 star hotels. This hotel is tourist grade minus.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel, I like the B&B's that about in the norther Gallilee.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Hawkeye-490

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Hebrew first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I would have to say our experience was a cross between Traveller1561 and JB. Our room was not as bad as JB's but not good. BBQ night on patio was spectacular, we were also with a big group and arrived on a boat. Food was good, breakfast buffet had much to choose from. We did find the beach after 1/2 hour search and it was a pebble beach but we did sit and have a drink with our feet in the sea. This was not our cleanest rooms on our trip but not the worst. Some of the staff were friendly some were miserable.

1 Thank judecat1961
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 2 November 2013

This hotel surprised us. When we arrived we ate outside under the stars overlooking the Sea of Galilee. Wow. The rooms had free wifi and were the cleanest we had during our two weeks of touring Israel and Jordan. The location is spectacular. The breakfast buffet was pretty good, but any inadequacies were made up by the beautiful sunrise view over the lake. Free internet in the rooms was a definite plus. The pool area is beautiful.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Traveller1561
Bettendorf
Reviewed 2 November 2013

We stayed here for 3 days with a tour group. Interestingly enough this was supposedly an upgrade due to complaints about Hotel Caesar's where we were supposed to stay. The lobby and grounds are lovely and well maintained. The pleasant atmosphere stops there. We got to our room and it hadn't been cleaned after the prior guests had checked out. The maid had changed the bed linens and towels but that was all she did. The carpet which hadn't been vacuumed was badly in need of a good shampoo which had probably NEVER been done. It was terribly stained. The couch in the room was filthy and stained. There was something red and sticky spilled on the desk and dried on food on the table on the deck.
The bathroom was worse. There was dried coffee in the sink and dried toothpaste outside the sink. When I picked up the glasses from the tray I found to my disgust, short, black, surly hairs under them, as well as under the soaps and shampoos. Additionally the shampoo had been used by the previous occupants and put back on the tray. The bathtub had a scum ring all around it. and white reside in the entire tub. The light switches were grubby as was anything that could be touched by hands in the room. There was a layer of black dust on the hair dryer.
I called the desk to ask for someone to clean the room. They sent two young men who were very nice but had no idea what to do. One of them left and came back a while later with a towel which he proceeded to wet and start wiping things down. I told him that was unacceptable and he needed some cleaner. He left and a while later came back with a bucket, a dish scrubber and about 2 inches of Mr. Clean in the bottom of the bucket. I took it from him, told him to get me some rags and started cleaning the room myself. When he didn't come back soon enough with the rags I used the towels to clean it. I had to ask 5 times for someone to come and vacuum. Our room was not cleaned once by the staff the entire 3 days we were there. The maid came in and changed the sheets and some days would change the towels but one day didn't even give us clean towels. She never changed the dirty glasses.
The rest of the hotel was a nightmare as well No one on the staff is trained properly, including bar people, dining room staff and front desk staff. They were all extremely rude and unfriendly for our entire stay. Everyone in our group of 32 commented on how rude and untrained the staff was. Everything at the bar was expensive and one of our friends was not allowed to take coffee into the dining room to have after dinner. She had to pay for a cup of coffee and was told she had to drink it where she was and could not have it in the dining room. Completely unacceptable.
We made several attempts to talk to the management about our problems but they were also extremely rude and unhelpful.
My husband complained that I should not have to clean my own room when on my dream vacation and he insisted that the staff apologize to me and comp our bar bill No one apologized, but our bar bill was comped and we were given a fruit plate and some chocolates. They still didn't clean one thing in the room though and I took our dirty glasses to the front desk and said, "thank you for the chocolates and fruit, now may I please have clean glasses"? I could tell by the look on the managers face that he was also disgusted by the filthy glasses but he was still rude and never once apologized for our inconvenience.
We were also not able to go to the beach, in spite of this being called Gai Beach Hotel. We walked along the water and it was fenced all the way and there was no beach. I would have loved to swim in the sea but no such luck.
The only bright spot of our trip was the barbeque night. The staff that night were all pleasant and helpful. They must have hired other people for that night because they were all so nice and the food was excellent. The hummus bar was a huge hit, as were the steaks and chicken.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
3 Thank J B

Travellers are raving about these Tiberias hotels

Sacramento
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Very dirty, outdated moldy rooms which pose a health hazard. Would have left immediately if we had not been with a tour group. Customer service is non-existent. Extremely large group staying while we were there holding musical "revival" on outside patio near rooms beginning at 4:00 am - loudspeakers, music, etc. Woke many of us up but front desk said they could do "nothing about it.". Very rude staff. Tables aren't bussed. Drink orders not taken at dinner leaving you to fend for yourself. Don't order a bottle of wine because the staff members do not know how to use a wine opener (this is not a joke) and one manager appears to be in possession of the only wine opener in the entire resort, probably because he is the only one who knows how to use it. It took 25 minutes one night to get 2 glasses of red wine at the bar as 6 different employees attempted to open the bottle with a cheap, plastic, broken

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank cpcd1221
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

WE are in a group who of 48 people staying here for 3nights. Complaints have been continues since we arrived. FILTHY rooms, the worst, arrogant service, unfriendly staff not resolving many issues and complaints, doors unlocked from accessible balcony, money stolen out of hotel rooms, public area bathrooms with NO toilet paper and NO SOAP!!! The same restrooms used by staff at the restaurants!!! DISGUSTING!!!
VERY BAD HOTEL and we will be complaining to our tour company to insure they never use this flea bag again.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank RDH47
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 28 October 2013

My non-smoking room was filled with ashtrays and with cans up and down the hall for your smoking pleasure. I stayed 3 1/2 days enduring a blend of smoke and mildew whenever I was in the room, since the place was full and they couldn't move me. Since I have a lung condition that makes smoky conditions hazardous for me, this was particularly upsetting.

The buffet meals we experienced were "OK" but tiring after the first day; all repetitious. Sunsets were beautiful over the water, and the location is certainly awe-inspiring.

But inspired as I was, I still would have enjoyed a nice adult beverage at night. It is unbelievable the lack of choice, outrageous prices and poor pours. But this was true all over the country, not just at this hotel.

The beach was a tiny access to the water paved with painful rocks. But the waterpark looked awesome. Wish we had made it back to the hotel just once so I could experience it! I am 8 years old at heart.

The most disappointing part of the experience was the service. The very young lobby servers were much more interested in doing each others' hair than helping guests. They often would brazenly ignore your requests for help. It was an interesting reaction that seems to be tolerated by management.

Room Tip: Higher floors would have to offer better views, but I knew of no one with a standout room. If smokef...
1 Thank Robbie P