I've read a few of the contributions to Tripadvisor decribing this hotel, and think that I can explain the disparity between the people who give 5 stars and those who give 3 stars. The public areas ( lobby, dining room, outdoor area with gorgeous view of lake and distant Golan Heights) are brightly lit, well aired, immaculate and quite pretty. The rooms, on the other hand (we got room 254, but they are all in the same beehive construction) are shabby, tired rooms that have had no repairs on maintenance for a long, long time. When we got to our room, I did a quick inspection:
0. The whole guest wing has a sewer smell that is partially masked by a sickly sweet ? air freshener, that in itself is overpowering and gave me a headache
1. Room is clean, bathroom clean and ready for new guest
2. air-conditioning mostly works.
3. TV (crappy brand) with bad resolution works (remote battery almost dead, need to stand next to TV to use it, which sort of defeats the purpose
3a. refrigerator (crappier brand) barely cold and very minimal space for even a large coke bottle (need to lie it at an angle).
4. Clothes cabin has two shelves that are in place, there's a safe taking up most of the space on one of them, third shelf lying on bottom of cabinet because retaining brackets snapped (some years ago?
4. bathroom had cheap soap bars, cheap shampoo/conditioner combo, and 2 pairs of so-so small bath towels and hand towels.
5. bathtub (40 years old?) stained, with many poorly repaired enamel chips, shower apparatus stiff, hard to use, leaks
6. small safe doesn't lock (In this hotel, didn't even want to start with any requests to the staff)
7. small sliding door to patio - no screen (mosquito heaven here, I would imagine), dirty white plastic chairs and small plastic table not cleaned in a long time, view obscured by building and trees.
8. Breakfast was the worst we've had in any Israeli hotel, which usually have really nice breakfasts. Many of the items came our of cans or jars. Bread dull little dry rolls. Coffee excrable (cheap Robusta made really weak, not even good for a caffeine hit!)
9. Staff friendly and helpful (They had 5 young men mopping the lobby floor at the same time, How bizarre! They should have them working in the guest rooms instead.)
We came here with a group and got a really cheap rate. I wouldn't, in my wildest dreams, pay the $200/night or whatever the rack rate is for this hotel. $120 TOPS. Tiberias has a lot of old hotels that the management is apprently letting run down while maintaining a cash flow by hyping their Website pictures and copywriting. The hotel caters to large groups, both local and from abroad, who will never return, so I think the the management isn't counting on return customers and therefore doesn't care that the guest rooms are years past needing a major investment to bring them up to 4 star status. I'd also recommend upgrading the toiletries they provide from public bathroom quality to what I usually see in 3 - 4 star hotels. This hotel is tourist grade minus.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Odigeo and Evoline ltd so you can book your Gai Beach Resort Spa Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gai Beach Tiberias
- Gai Beach Hotel Tiberias