“Great Times...”

Ranked #19 of 37 Hotels in Tiberias
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Great Times...”
Reviewed 18 December 2012

Hard to beat.. You really feel like you are the King of the World for a few days.
If Tiberias is your destination, Astoria is your place to be.

Every single person on the staff was phenomenal. The bell hop, was absolutely amazing as well as the front office staff and the hotel manager.

The room was cleaned and attended to punctually every day, and like many hotels, it just worked. I've been in better and more modern rooms, but there's more to a hotel than up to the minute furniture.

This is my third time with my family @ Astoria I won't think twice before I pick it again.

Room Tip: Pick the top floor for best view to the Sea of Galilee
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank OrielBs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 4 December 2012 via mobile

We stay in Astoria for a week. We have very nice and clean room, coffee and tea inside. Free wifi connection everywhere and its unusual for hotels in Israel, actually regular you pay an additional charge.
We eat only breakfast and shabbat dinner, it's very nice. Not something special but tasty.
Personal very nice and friendly, especially Yael the receptionist. One time we have spoke with Avi, the manager, he is very friendly and want to help.
Thank you Astoria, we will come back.

Tip: ask for renovated room 8)

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Avalan1986
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2012

I was part of a group of 33 who stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in mid-November 2012. I was somewhat apprehensive as I had read reviews on trip advisor that were less than flattering. I expressed my concern to our group leader who received assurances from the trip organiser that it had undergone significant refurbishment. On the basis of my 3 nights it has some way to go, and my fears were realised. Although our room was OKish - compared to other members of the group who were infested with cockroaches and had to move due to very poor quality – we had nowhere for our clothes (4 coat hangers and no drawers) so we lived out of our cases, had no hot water for 2 days, had small beds (width and length). The food was Ok in quality but the choice was poor, especially at breakfast where I was limited to bread and marmalade – I like my cold meats on foreign holidays. The staff was not friendly at all. The hotel claims that it is a short walking distance from the city's centre and the Sea of Galilee – not so, it is at the top of a steep hill and taxis are required.

Room Tip: don't go there
1 Thank Graham S

Travellers are raving about these Tiberias hotels

Reviewed 18 November 2012

I bring groups and families to the Astoria all the time..the rooms are clean and comfortable, the staff are very friendly and the food is great! (Didn't see other hotels which bake a pizza specially for me..) there are some large groups there but nothing to worry about. Location is great! Very safe and lots of transportation options.

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank Ben666martin
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2012

Stayed at this hotel Nov 9 - Nov 12 2012.

Part of a group of 33 and the majority experienced cramped rooms, views of hotel walls, poorly equipped bathrooms (faulty shower heads). Others were even less fortunate and had cockroaches in their rooms.

Reception staff were distant and unhelpful. Manager(s) of dining area were distant and unfriendly. However two young Eastern European waitresses brought a ray of sunshine to the dining room.

Had noticed other TA reviews regarding staff attitudes to access to hotel pool. We were even less fortunate- we were not allowed to access area to view pool. Maybe there is no pool!

One plus the food was good quality and the bar man was hospitable and new the meaning of the term "customer service"

Room Tip: Apparently there were larger rooms with views of the sea and some of our group were allocated those...
Greenock, Scotland
Reviewed 14 November 2012

I have just returned from a trip to Israel as part of a group of 33. We stayed in the Astoria for the last three nights on a B&B plus evening meal basis. My own room was small; windows were ill fitting and did not exclude traffic noise; beds were very low and small. Ladies in the group observed that cleaning had obviously been done by men! Food was quite good in terms of choice, quantity and quality, and waitresses smiled! Several of our party had to change rooms due to complaints about size and cleanliness. One lady caught a cockroach (one of several in her room) in a glass and brought it down to reception to demand a change of room. In general the hotel is down at heel and not well placed for access to the town centre. I have used much better 3 star hotels in Tiberias and would not willingly return to the Astoria!

Niagara Falls, Canada
Reviewed 9 November 2012

This was my second time staying in the hotel, and it does lack in a few areas. The staff are mostly very friendly, but the place is not up to par in terms of cleanliness, food quality, food selections. The rooms are so small. I would equate the food with a cafeteria buffet. But it was ok for the price. There wasn't anything close by for one to walk and enjoy. The streets in this part of town are narrow and dangerous. Always look both ways!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends