“You Can't Go Wrong Here !!!”

Georgina's Cottage Beach Guesthouse
York, United Kingdom
“You Can't Go Wrong Here !!!”
Reviewed 18 February 2012

We stayed at Georgina's from the 20th - 27th December 2011. The rooms are basically furnished, but what more do you need in such a great location. We had twin beds (shame), a large wardrobe, bedside tables, a T.V., fridge, kettle and basic cutlery and tableware, but that is all that is needed. The bathroom was again basic but functional and as for the location, well you just could not get better. The local beach is just a walk across the road and all the resteraunts are within a 5 minute walk, although this is limited. There are two dive shops within 5 minutes the nearest and the one that I used was to the left out of Georgina's called Ocean Dream Divers. There are also a number of small convenience stores within the local vicinity that stock the basics that you will need, i.e. coffee, milk, bread etc.
Eddy, who now runs Georgina's, cannot do enough for you in making you feel welcome and giving advice on where to go. The rooms are cleaned every day to a very high standard and the girls are very friendly and helpful. The breakfast is big and sets you up for the day as previously stated by others. At the price they charge it is superb value for money!!!
We hired a car and we consider this a must as Taxi's were reported to be very expensive. We travelled around most of the Island and it is very small, but the trip through the mountain is very long and well worth the it to get onto the South West side of the island or you can go straight ovr and head South East tfor some small but gorgeous beaches. Beau Vallon beach is very popular and can get quite busy however if it is quiet beaches you want just head out of Beau Vallon in either direction and you will find plenty of beaches with lush white sand and blue sea to die for with little or no population on them.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AlfieG13

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Korean first
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 2 February 2012

I was the first honored guest within Georgina's new guest house and it was a very pleasant experience. I have visited several guest houses on Mahe and even one on Praslin and I can definitively say that at the moment, with their new facility, you’d be hard pressed to find a better value. Prices around Mahe have all gone up, but even so, Georgina’s is still very reasonable at 70 Euros a night, which includes a good-sized breakfast that includes fresh fruit, toast and jam, tea or coffee, and eggs cooked like you like them. The rooms are very stylish (very modern looking), clean, and include two twin beds pushed together and have modern conveniences such as a nice fan, air conditioning, refrigerator, flat-screen television with the two local channels, a wardrobe, places to lock up valuables and a mirror light. The whole guest house complex feels very secure and requires keys to get into the building itself at night.

Besides that, there are the normal conveniences that Georgina’s has always provided, which is excellent service, friendly staff, a very accommodating hostess, and an unbeatable location. It is less than 30 meters from the nearest bus stop to go to Victoria, and of course, Beau Vallon beach is right across the street, so one can easily go to sleep to the sound of the Indian Ocean or go play in it at will. All of the tourist attractions that Beau Vallon has to offer are a very short walk away, from restaurants, to pizzerias, to clothing shops, to glass bottom boat tours, dive shops, water sporting rentals, and a whole lot more.

If you prefer quaint stays to resorts and you prefer friendly, personal, and cheaper stays to extravagant, decadent, and impersonal, then there really is no better value than Georgina’s – you really won’t be disappointed. I was impressed enough to take the time to write this review.

Room Tip: The guest house rooms are pretty much all the same except that the ones closer to the road are sligh...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank Ryan D
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 26 July 2011

We have spent 4 days at Georgina's in July 2011. Eddy (the owner) went to pick up at the Airport for 20 Euros and brought back (to the Jetty) for 10 Euro: that's a wonderful service at a convenient rate. They were renovating/building the guest house, so there were men at work and a bit of noise. We stayed at the main house, in the family room (66 euros per night B&B). The room was clean and complete of all kind of stuff, although the furniture seemed a bit too worn. The place is more or less as I've read on Tripadvisor (reviews from other guests) and I would recommend it unless you need more comfort than a basic-but-clean accommodation.
Eddy was very helpful, he couldn't have done more to make our stay comfortable. His father brought us around the island (full day by car at 60 Euros), he was lovely.
The breakfast was surprisedly good and could be consumed among several birds (which made our 5-year-old daughter very happy) on the veranda.
Besides, Beau Vallon is for sure one of the best locations I've seen at the Seychelles.
In the end, I would definitely suggest spending some nights at Georgina's.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank lupomich
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 12 February 2011

A small and cozy B&B basically on the Beau Vallon beach. Eddy the owner was brilliant and was always ready to assist with whatever a query. Keep in mind that everything is fairly average, from amenities to rooms, but its all you need in a place like the Seychelles. I would not opt for a more expensive place, you are there for the beaches not the hotel. Breakfast was great, and you could stroll over to the other beach-side hotels for lunch and dinner.

We stayed in Mahe for 2 weeks, but would spend less time here and more in the islands if I were to go back. Especially Praslin and its fantastic Anze Lazio....

Anyways, at the price offered you cant go wrong. If you plan on staying in the Seychelles for a while, split your stay. Eddy will be more than willing to assist you with hotels on the other island, just like he did for us.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 24 June 2010

I spent two weeks at Georgina's Cottage in November 2009 as a solo traveller who was mainly interested in diving. I couldn't think of a more relaxing location - beach just over the road and hardly noisy even though the main road runs past the gate. It's cheap, which is a real bonus in the Seychelles, and nice for the money. If you want five-star you want somewhere else, but I found it an ideal place to drop my bag and call home for a couple of weeks. Lots of other like-minded souls were there during my stay and, if you're prepared to break the ice, you'll meet some interesting people. I've stayed in touch with most of them.

Eddy was very helpful and just an all-round good guy, while the other staff were friendly and always prepared to give tips on the best things to see and do. I liked the breakfast on the verandah, being able to wander over the road and down the beach, the dive centre up the road (Big Blue Divers), having a beer after a day's diving while sitting in the sun outside my room and being able to do my own thing in my own time. I don't need to be waited on hand and foot - in fact, that's a hassle - and I do like to chat with locals wherever I go. And no, I'm not a backpacker but a not-badly-off nearly-50 tourist.

Victoria was an easy bus ride over the hill, and a nice town. But since I wanted to kick back, I only went across there three or four times. I got exactly what I wanted from Georgina's, which was a comfortable place to stay during my holiday.

Would I go back there? You bet - planning it right now.

I'd recommend Georgina's to others like myself, who are prepared to fit in with the local scene and take life as it comes. It won't be flash like some of the resorts but the price will allow you to prolong your stay. Once you're in the Seychelles, that always seems like a good idea.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank Road_Kiwi
Kitchener
Reviewed 5 February 2010

Georgina’s Cottage – Mahe, Seychelles

I must admit I didn’t take any pictures of this cottage itself, however, take note that they are scheduled to close starting in March 2010 for renovations.

Good points.
1. Good value for the money
2. Fairly safe area however common sense still needed
3. Beau Vallon, where cottage located, still doesn’t have that touristy feeling though it could change one day
4. Right across the beach but I would suggest walk down ways for better area. Nice long stretch of beach to walk along
5. Can be picked up/dropped off at the airport by the owner Eddy (20 Euros one way) about a 30 min. drive.
6. Near restaurants, but some can be pricey. The Baobab Pizzeria is about the only reasonable rate restaurant though only serves pizzas and spaghetti plus a salad, fish and chips (not always) but a great view of the beach.
7. Decent breakfast served
8. Not far from the Coral Strand Hotel where you can hang around at their beach area and have a drink as well BUT there is a sign that their pool/lounge chairs for guests only
9. The high-speed Internet place is about 10 or 15 min. walk away and beside the Internet is a little store where you can pick up snacks/drinks. The Coral Strand Hotel has Internet as well but more expensive.
10. There is also a store about a minute or two walk from the Cottage to pick up snacks/drinks/wine/beer
11. Eddy is very helpful with questions e.g. diving suggestions, car hire. I had Eddy give me a tour around the island (80 euros).
12. Near the bus stop ......... about a 20 minute bus ride to Victoria, the capital, where there are great restaurants, a fun little town, the smallest capital in the world, to walk around. Also can take bus around the island to get to other places though would take a long time

Bad points
1. Not the greatest for a solo traveller since there won’t be much people around to socialize with (may be a hit and miss and was a miss for me so I found rather boring). I had 6 days there and I think 3 or 4 would have been enough.
2. Not much night life to go to (I’m not into night life but for those who are)
3. The walking on the roads aren’t the greatest, especially at night. You might want to pack a torch.
4. I won’t recommend Al Mare Restaurant & Bar, and neither did others as overpriced and they are rude

Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
4 Thank TravellerKitchener
lisbon
Reviewed 26 October 2009

I could not believe my ears when, after unpacking my bags and sleeping a nap I was woken up by the owner, knocking nervously at the door. She told me I could not stay because she had booked the room to someone else who had just arrived, and wanted me to show evidence that I had really booked. Considering I had confirmed twice (the last one, a couple of days before going), you can understand my shock. Eventually the lady had to recognise I had really booked, but the other person was going to stay for 4 days, whereas I, for 1 day, so she preferred the other one.

I cannot say they were rude, or anything. They actually lend me the phone to call another house I had planned to stay a couple of days later and let me leave the bags on their living room, while I spend the afternoon at the beach nearby, before I went to the other house which fortunately was vacant for me. But still, I have to advise other visitors to take the confirmation email print with them and make sure the owners REALLY book the room exclusively for you (I don't know how, since I did twice and still they failled on me).

The good thing about this house is its location, since you can go to the beach just by crossing the road and the bus is just right next to it.

I have to say I prefer the guest house La Rocaille, at Anse Soleil, since it's cheaper, the house is much better, the owners are nicer and careful with their bookings. On the other hand, the location is not as convenient - but the owner picks you up at the bus stop. They were so nice that in the end they took us by car to the airport without paying anything.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple