“A great week of relaxation!”
Review of Constance Ephelia

Constance Ephelia
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Mahe Island
Reviewed 6 August 2012

We spent a week in this resort and loved every minute of our stay. We stayed in a family villa, and the privacy of having our own pool and lots of space was great! There is something for all age groups. I liked the water aerobics and the chance to try different cuisines each day; my grand kids loved the kids' club; my daughter enjoyed the beach, my elderly Mum enjoyed watching the romantic movies on the many TV's located throughout the villa. The sushi restaurant is just wonderful! The lobster flown in from Madagascar was delicious! I would definitely go back!

Room Tip: Ask for a villa as close to the beach as possible!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank fdgrNairobi
Write a ReviewReviews (3,665)

Reviewed 3 August 2012

I stayed at the Constance Ephelia on Mahe for the first time a few weeks ago. I wish Trip Advisor had the capability for a reviewer to give half stars, because is I am to be truthful, this is a 4-1/2 star review. So much is right about the Constance Ephelia. But I feel as if I need to mention some things that could use some work, if only because I know the resort aspires to be a 5 star establishment in every way.

So--what worked? The spa. Good grief, the spa. I had a treatment there every day of my stay but one. It's spectacular. Not only are the therapists skilled (ask for Annamarie--she's utterly amazing) and the treatments luxurious, but the complex itself is a marvel. You come into a reception area that's welcoming and comfortable. From there, you're taken via an outside pathway to first the changing room and then your treatment room. Along the way, you see relaxation areas (open air huts with thatched roofs and comfy lounges), the sauna, the jacuzzi, the steam room, the soaking pools. There are water features everywhere and beautiful plants. It's an oasis. I highly, highly recommend it.

The employees in general are superstars. Kudos to whoever is doing the hiring. Everyone I spoke with was kind and welcoming. They always had a smile and a willingness to help. You could tell how proud they are to work at the resort.

The North Beach is top notch. The water is clear, the waves are gentle, the sand is white and soft. It's so relaxing to lay there on one of the many lounges and listen to the water hitting the shore.

I know some other reviewers had issues with the food, but I thought it was quite good. As I stayed on the north end of the resort, I ate every morning at Seselwa. It was such a pleasure to wander over and sit at an outdoor table and watch the resort wake up. They had a complete breakfast buffet, which included made-to-order omelets. I also ate at Helios (excellent fish) and Cyann (the "high end" restaurant--my one regret there was that I didn't go back a second time). If I had one complaint it would be how tough it was to get a reservation. You absolutely =must= book 48+ in advance. If you don't, good luck. I tried to eat dinner three times at Seselwa and couldn't ever get a table, even though at one point I tried to make a reservation two days ahead of time. They need another restaurant besides the big buffet place Corossol, which I never ate at.

The room itself was quite good. The design was nice and clean and modern. I feel as if it could have been more completely decorated, though. There wasn't really any art on the walls and the furniture near the TV isn't all that comfortable. From a functionality standpoint, there were some things lacking. There is a vanity of sorts on one wall where there is absolutely no light source. So if you're a woman and want to use it to put on your makeup, you're literally working in the darkest corner of the room. The lighting in general is a tad difficult to work with. Maybe the fault was with the user, but I had a terrible time turning off the lights to go to bed at night. Everything works off light switches on the wall, and I'd hit the switches next to the bed, only to find that nothing went off. So then I'd have to get up and go to the switch by the door. Only sometimes that didn't do the trick either. Back and forth, I'd go, trying to figure out the combination that would finally turn off the bloody lights. It's a silly thing, but there you have it.

What did I feel was lacking? Little things that by themselves don't mean much, but when you have several of them over a week, it can impact how you feel about the trip.

I arranged for airport transport. My flight arrived early in the morning and not knowing Mahe at all, I didn't want to make my way to the resort on my own. When I came out of the terminal, my driver wasn't there. I waited. And I waited. And I waited some more. All in all, I would say I stood there 15 minutes, not really sure what I should do. That may not seem like all that much time, but when you're traveling alone, in a place where you really don't know the lay of the land, it can be disconcerting.

The resort is enormous, so you really rely on the shuttles to get from one end to the other (I would say it's a 20-30 minute walk otherwise). They tell you the shuttles run every 10 minutes. They don't. I was late to the spa my first day at the resort because I waited 30 minutes for a shuttle. That happened to me again the next day too (despite having someone call from the restaurant for me three times). And those shuttles in general can be a bit much. If you do choose to walk (which I did after running into this problem), there are times when you feel as if you're dodging traffic. You have transportation shuttles, catering shuttles, housekeeping shuttles, some of the managers zip around the resort on mopeds... It's not the relaxing feel you know everyone is working towards.

And finally, there are processes that need some fine tuning. While there was a bottle of champagne waiting for me when I arrived (very nice, I appreciated it, even though I didn't wind up drinking it), the room cleanup and turn down service is erratic. I had to go out and sit on my balcony one day because the maid came by to clean my room at 2:00pm in the afternoon. Twice, the turn-down service came after 9:00pm. One of the great things about turn-down was they brought bottles of water (chocolates or some other treat would have been appreciated), but even then, one night they came without. And housekeeping was determined to close my balcony doors when they finished their morning visits, which meant, with the air conditioning off (which is how I preferred my room), the room was a sweltering, stagnant mess when I'd come up from the beach late afternoon. Please, if the balcony door is open when you come to a room, leave it that way. Obviously, that's what the guest prefers.

Worst of all was checkout. I had to leave the resort at 5:00am to catch my flight. So I went into the office the night before to settle my bill. I told the girl I'd already eaten dinner and everything should be all set. I paid and went back to my room. Thirty minutes later, she called to say that my dinner charges had just showed up and they needed to take care of that. I said fine, just put it on my card. She said they couldn't do that. They'd need to come to the room to handle it face-to-face. I said okay. We settled that. Not 20 minutes later, a guy showed up to do a minibar check. By this time, it's after 8:00pm. I was just getting into the tub to soak before turning in early, but I let him in. One can of soda was missing (I'd thought this had been accounted for with the original charges). Now you'd think, given that I'd settled my bill and that I was leaving the next day, they might say fine and let it go. They didn't, 20 minutes later, I'm paying for a third time. It was ridiculous.

I know these things sound petty. But this is a really nice resort that is trying to give excellent service. These little glitches should be ironed out. If guests are paying what Constance Ephelia is charging (and I was happy to do so--provided I get excellent service), that's the expectation.

Room Tip: The senior suites and villas are right on the north beach, which is the swimming beach. If you stay...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank KMarieR
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Last year, when I travelled to Mauritius, I stayed in Belle Mare Plage, Constance, this 5 star hotel is very nice, the service, the food, etc. all good. Therefore, this year, when I was considering travelling to Seychelles, I took the hotels from Constance group as my priority choice. However, this service in Ephelia hotel is very very low, not match the standard of 5 star hotels at all. After I came back, I wrote a complaint email to their CRM service, however, the feedback is very slow, and the response emails are with rubbish info, full of excuses, which made me very angry. Such a bad service, every for their CRM team, lack of good training. I can't imagine Ephelia hotel is in the same group as Belle Mare Plage hotel. If you wanna have a good trip, very good mood, DON'T CHOOSE THIS HOTEL, I'm 1000% sure that you'll be very frustrated with this hotel.

Room Tip: no tips, if you wanna have good mood, choose other hotel, not this hotel
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
12  Thank Aimee B
Reviewed 2 August 2012

We stayed at the Ephelia at the end of June start of July for 10 days for our honeymoon and had an absolutely wonderful time.
We stayed in a Junior suite on the south side and were really pleased with the accommodation. The suites are very generous in size and of an excellent standard. Maid service was twice daily with water bottles left in the room for the turn down service.
The resort itself is massive and we did use the buggy’s to get between the south and north but if you wanted to walk it doesn’t really take that long.
The south beach is relatively small and quiet and good for sunbathing and when the tide is out you can walk/swim across to the small island across from the beach. We did prefer the North beach as the sea was far better for swimming and water sports and as we were there during their winter the south beach was at times a little windy however there was no wind on the north beach.
We had informed the resort beforehand that we were staying here for our honeymoon and when we arrived there were petals on the bed and a token for 2 complimentary glasses of wine, although having recently read a review from another honeymooner who was upgraded to one of the premier suites perhaps we should have asked for more.
The resort is based in the rainforest at the top of the island so you do need to hire a car/catch a bus to get around the rest of the island but car hire isn’t expensive (50 euro for the day) so we did this for 2 days and visited some of the beaches, our favourite being Beau Vallon. I would also recommend a boat trip to one of the other islands, we did a combined day trip to Praslin & La Digue through Mason travel at the hotel and this was defiantly worth doing and far cheaper than if you booked with the hotel directly.
When we booked this last year we had read some negative comments about the staff and their attitude but these must have been taken on board as the hotel staff couldn’t do enough for you with every single one of them making an effort to stop whatever they are doing to say hello to you.
As per other reviews our only criticism would be how expensive food & drink was as 2 incredibly small glasses of wine costs you 30 euro’s. However as long as you bear this in mind and buy any soft drinks/water from the shop just outside the north gate then you can go some way to avoiding this.
Overall we had an excellent honeymoon and would recommend this resort and the island of Mahe to anyone considering the Seychelles as a holiday/honeymoon destination.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Hayley874
Reviewed 1 August 2012

It takes around 30 minutes by taxi to arrive at the Ephelia, which is a large sprawling complex which spans many acres of beach and built around a nature reserve. The grounds are beautifully kept and the structures so different from most other hotel complexes of this size. The rooms were very large and fully of all mod cons and furnished to a very high standard, very nice indeed!

The staff were mostly very friendly, one or too could do with some training. The food was excellent from each of the several onsite restaurants (I think we tried all but one). If you you’ve gone self catering then you might find the prices a little expensive, especially for bottled water, but there is a little shop located near the rear of the north beach entrance.

There were plenty of activities available, we made use of the gym and push bikes (which need some maintenance) and we also went on a bike excursion around the immediate area (check out the waterfall).

I would have no problem recommending the Constance Ephelia, it’s a beautiful place to stay and well worth it!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Had an 8 night stay as a family of 4, celebrating my youngest son's 21st birthday. We had a beach villa.
The hotel is on the NW of the island and has the luxury of 2 beaches being on a promontory. Hence you can choose beaches depending on the wind/crowd factor!
The villas are superb, immaculately clean and beautifully presented. Not crowded at all, and the private pool is very private! The quality of thinking behind the facitlies is great, right down to a quality iphone sound system. The dedicated butler was very friendly and is hugely attentive [ Yo Manaker!] and our cleaner did a fantastic job. All of the staff are great, particularly the bar staff, [Yo Hansel!]
There is plenty of choices of where to eat. The fine dining restauarant is superb.
My son also enjoyed feeding the giant turtles!
Thoroughly recommended

Room Tip: Go for a beach villa, it is a bit more £, but really worth it!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Maurice100
Reviewed 30 July 2012

From the moment we arrived at the hotel my wife and I were overwhelmed by the level of service, the beauty of the resort and the standard of the food. We were there for a week and were upgraded on arrival from a junior to a senior suite. The suite was amazing, little touches like a bottle of champagne on arrival, letters from management, presents etc. were lovely. The North beach is located closest to the senior suites and was less than a minutes walk. It was stunning, as was the South beach, a short buggy trip or 5/10 minute walk away. I preferred the South, just personal, but both were great. More to do in the North beach where the Boat House was located, which offered value for money trips and free equipment rental.
We were there early July 'Dry Season' but did have one complete day of rain and a few afternoons but this was no problem as the rain is warm (very different to the UK!) and there was loads to do on the resort. We also hired a car for two of the days through the reception - very reasonable price - which was well worth doing, saw some beautiful sites/beaches. Also, the weather was different from one side of the island to the other, so if it is raining on one side could be bright and sunny on the other.
All in all the resort and island were fantastic and we can't wait to return! Mr and Mrs. Alexander

Room Tip: Pick up the news leaflet at breakfast, has all the activities and trips going on during that day. H...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Le Meridien Fisherman's Cove
Coral Strand Smart Choice Hotel Seychelles
Kempinski Seychelles Resort
Hilton Seychelles Labriz Resort & Spa
Hilton Seychelles Labriz Resort ...
#1 of 1 in Silhouette Island

Been to Constance Ephelia? Share your experiences!