“Ancient airconditioning technology”

Constance Ephelia
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Mahe Island
“Ancient airconditioning technology”
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed 5 nights at Ephelia in March 2014.

Pros:
1- resort grounds are beautiful
2- huge property which keeps you interested in exploring.
3- good quality and variety of food
4- excellent welcome and check in process
5- all sorts of activities you might want. The zip lines are not to be missed.
6- excellent spa. Among the best I have been to.
7- near scuba diving sites in the marine reserve
8- lovely bicycles to get around the resort (you have to rent them if staying at a junior suite"
9- great follow up from guest services. Whenever you call requesting anything (e.g. Maintanance, housekeeping, laundry) they call in 5 minutes to verify that you got what you asked for.
9-waiters around the beach, pool and restaurants are very helpful.

Cons:
1- aircondition in junior suite is a myth. The climate control units are water chiller basd (old technology) and not gas compressor units and therefore the temperature only drops to 24.8-25 celsius in the room. Called for maintanance to take a look at the AC and they cleaned the filter but only marginal improvement in the cooling. Next day called maintanance again to check it and that's when they told me that is the best I will get because these are chiller type units and 24.8 is the coldest temperature they can ever reach in the room.

This is 2014 and this is a luxury 5 star property in an exclusive destination which happens to be hot and tropical. Management should immediately look into this and work on changing the ACs in the junior suites to more modern units as I did not have good sleep not even for a single night.

2- the junior suite is just a room and not a junior suite. It contains a bedroom with a lounging chair and a desk which opens onto a lovely bathroom. Hence it should be called a room and not a suite for lack of an indoor living room.

3- the room decor and furnishing is lacking luxury. The bathroom is much more luxurious than the room.

4- bed mattress is average at best.

5- bathroom doesn't have a bidet.

6- structure of halfboard is wrong. The halfboard option is designed to give you breakfast and dinner. Dinner options are many and some of them will include a supplement charge. We tried two of those, pasta night at Helios and Seafood night at Helios. Honestly, we didn't feel that the type of produce or meats used warranted a supplement at all. We felt that the supplement was put in to gather more cash from guests because these would be popular dining options. Pasta is among the cheapest ingredients on earth.

Drinks, even water is not included in dinner which can upset customers. I suggest that management increase the price for halfboard by 10 euros and include some drinks in the package as this will look more elegeant to guests.

7- we did not get calls or letters from management during our stay to check how things were going until 12 hours before our check out.

8- the complimentary water provided in the rooms are provided in glass bottles that have the following statement "epheliag resort endavours to be eco-friendly and strives to protect the rich marine life of The Seychelles. The water in this bottle has been through the unique Classic Crystal purification system. This bottle is re-usable, saving Ephelia Resort from disposing of about 238,000 plastic bottles each year."

It did not taste good. I did not travel thousands of miles and pay thousands of dollars to drink treated waste water. I bought bottled water instead.

9- Ants. No matter how much you ensure your doors and windows remain closed ants will crall up on your furniture, cases and minibar.
——————

In summary, this is a nice property with many things going right, but a few serious oversights could be fixed to make this a great resort. Do I recommend it? Only if airconditioning is of secondary importance to you.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Maher A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
County Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here with our 16 month old daughter for a week. We have stayed in plenty of hotels with her but this was quite simply the most accommodating hotel for our needs that we have found to date. Our aim was to enjoy a relaxing holiday with beach time for us all and some getaway time for myself and my husband too.

As regards baby gear, they have thought of everything. A potty in the bathroom, children's step for the sink, large baby bath and obviously a cot. All the restaurants provided plastic baby bowls and plates and also baby purées on request. We ate at the buffets mainly with our daughter as it allowed us to offer her a variety. There was no charge for food for children under two. On the beach there were two large boxes of beach toys for children to play with. Also even though you must be four years or older to join the kids club, we were able to bring our daughter there to play as long as we stayed with her (or a hired babysitter). Michelle and Stefan were really lovely there. We organised a babysitter a few evening so that my husband and I could have an evening dinner to ourselves. Estelle was lovely and babysitting was easily organised through the kids club. We were on the north beach early in the mornings which had plenty of shade which suited us just fine and it was practically empty at that hour. We felt comfortable at all times with our daughter there which was exactly what we wanted and staff were very helpful especially at the north reception.

We stayed in a senior suite on the north beach which gave us a little more room for our daughter to play and for us to relax in whilst she slept. We were on the ground floor which meant that we did not have an enclosed balcony but a good size patio with furniture. I am not sure that I would have felt comfortable on a balcony anyway with my daughter who loves to climb!!! It was a short distance to the breakfast restaurant Seselwa and to the beach. The shuttle service was great and really meant that we didn't use our stroller much. I believe you could rent strollers in the resort but we had brought our own. The room had a Mac mini with plenty of films free. Wifi was free but relatively slow at times. Service staff were friendly and helpful although I did have to ask for items once or twice as they weren't replaced.

The only part which did not meet our expectations were the dining options. We were quite disappointed in this regard. Breakfast was a standard buffet you would find in any decent hotel and met our needs. Seselwa was a lovely location for breakfast looking straight out onto the beach. However past that, it was pretty basic for a five star resort. We tried all five restaurants and although their "Fine dining" restaurant was of better quality than the others, it still wasn't anything exceptional. Adam was Eve was a definite disappointment with the Asian cuisine of very basic quality but with a price tag that would suggest food of a far higher standard. With the standard of the resort in general and the fact that it is expensive enough to stay here, I feel that many people visiting would be well accustomed to good food and quality dining options and would be disappointed with those on offer here. Our absolute bone of contention with the restaurants was red wine, which was served cold every time!! They gave us some reason about the humidity and said it would be a perfect temperature in a few minutes, but storing the wine in a chilled environment had already damaged the wine. Even the sommelier at the signature restaurant served us chilled red wine and it was far more expensive that I have seen anywhere else. Also the restaurants only open at 7pm for dinner except Corrossol buffet which opens at 6:30pm. I do feel that a 6pm dinner would more conducive to dining with young babies as they tend to get tired at this time making it difficult to get time to have dinner before bedtime. Our daughter sleeps by 7:30pm so she was often a little unsettled at dinner and it became very rushed. The actual restaurants were very well designed and all lovely locations to have food in.

The resort itself was absolutely beautiful, blending into the landscape perfectly and creating a wonderful relaxing atmosphere. The beaches were stunning with plenty of sun loungers. Any debris from trees or seaweed was cleared early in the morning so the beaches were pristine. I was in awe of the view every time I went to the beach and wandering through the resort, it never felt crowded or like a hotel. The buildings were barely noticeable and it was like a dream that met and exceeded my expectations of what the Seychelles would be like.

Myself and my husband both visited the spa and were impressed. Our treatments were great and the spa itself is a haven, a beautiful oasis in the centre of the resort which we thoroughly enjoyed.

All in all we were extremely happy with out choice and would return. I would hope that the resort would work on improving their dining standards, as this would make it a truly unbeatable resort.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Yevragca
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We have just returned from our stay at the Constance Ephelia Seychelles. The hotel is spectacular with natural flora and fauna in abundance. We had a Junior Suite which was perfect for the two of us. Housekeeping were very good, we had our towels changed twice daily (one in the morning and one on the turn down service). We found that the options of the two beaches suited both our requirements, my Husband enjoys snorkelling whilst I prefer to laze on a quiet beach or by the pool,Adam and Eve was perfect for me. Down side was the condition of the sun beds as majority of the cushions were in poor order which meant constant sliding down the beds. We found the pool and beach staff helpful, Steph and Darius very attentive, however bar staff at Adam and Eve were disinterested. Breakfast service is confusing as guests were turned away although tables were available, staff offhand or ignore you. I was concerned to see staff empty coffee jugs from tables into the urn to reuse!!! Two staff members tip the urn forward to fill coffee jugs from the reused coffee, not only Health and Safety issue but not expected at 5* resort. We attended a cocktail hour hosted by the management had it not been for Debbie we would have not met any management!!. Debbie was genuinely interested in our comments regarding our stay and made our last two days memorable for all the right reasons.

Room Tip: We had room 223 which overlooked Adam and Eve pool and a sea view.
4 Thank Caroline O
Reviewed 29 March 2014

WHAT A PITY...a hotel that could be spectacular that is let down by disinterested service. This is a long revue as I feel the hotel deserves praise and also criticism. We travelled to the Seychelles for the first time in February 2014 for a 7 night stay at Constance Ephelia for a special occasion. Having had many island and beach holidays in the past, including several in Mauritius, visits to Cuba, Ibiza, Grand Cayman, Croatia, Turkey, Bali, and short stays in Mykonos, Santorini, Cyprus, and the Caribbean, mostly with the 5 star rating attached, it was with a little trepidation that we booked this location rather than go with what we knew was fantastic elsewhere on previous travels. In my opinion the location of this hotel in a Marine Reserve is up there with the best. The hotel is spotless, beautifully maintained, wonderfully and sensitively integrated into the marine reserve, and the North Beach is stunning with powder-soft white sand and sea teeming with fish you can feed by hand in knee deep blue water. So it was with great anticipation that we arrived in the dark, were warmly welcomed, and all looked positive for a wonderful stay from the next morning.
This hotel is let down by erratic and confusing service....more on this later. We paid an extra premium to stay in the senior suites on the north beach side... Definitely a wise choice...if you can afford the extra make sure you opt for this...the junior suites are on the south side and are not nearly as nice in location and feel like rows of cookie cutter apartment blocks ...the south beach is virtually unused for swimming, and not really conducive to sea bathing, and unless you are looking for a poolside holiday or have children in tow, the south side feels like a rambling huge resort, whereas the north side feels more exclusive. The senior suites are in need of a dedicated pool though, as the pool at Cyan restaurant is hardly used and faces the wrong way in my opinion. Despite the size of the hotel and it being 90% full when we were there, the grounds feel empty and a little disconcertingly deserted. The villas with their private pools looked magnificent, but if you are only two persons, why bother, as we spent all our time lying on the north beach and merely slept in our room. If you can afford the one bed hillside villas... Splurge! The views from the hillside villas are stunning ( With prices to match!) You apparently get your own electric golf cart to run around the resort if you take a hillside villa. Seriously cool! We loved the quirky electric cart shuttle service which worked well for us . We also opted for full-board which was a mistake. The breakfasts are sufficient and quite good, and by the time you have buffeted your way around the breakfast options, lunch is hardly needed. Moreover the lunch options leave one feeling a little let down....it feels like rehashed buffet fair, and the only place we thought was reasonably nice was the Chinese restaurant lunch menu. Also the options and restrictions of what you can eat and where you can eat and the fact the hotel grounds are so huge that you have to schlep off the beach to a distant and not that inspiring lunch location, is very confusing and irritating , and it took us at least 3 days to understand how it all worked....mostly due to many of the staff giving contradictory information on surcharges especially on the dinner offerings etc, and the variety isn't sufficient to make the extra cost worth it. Half-board would have sufficed. Also full board excludes all beverages...and my, can they charge. A bottle of South African wine we enjoy in South Africa in a restaurant for ZA220 was in rand equivalent ZA2850...... Import duty and 5star prices aside, even the European guests armed with euros were not drinking alcohol, and complaining about the high prices. I am used to paying for what you get in 5 star resorts such as Le Tousserok in Mauritius, but this hotel took the cake. South Africans, multiply SA restaurant prices by 10.... Yes 10.... And you will have an idea of what the alcohol beverages will set you back. If that will put you off, this is not the hotel for you ( having said that I would happily pay the alcohol prices if the service matched the high prices). The food in the hotel is good....not fantastic. The "Cyan" restaurant hailed as the flagship venue was sometimes more than good, I had one risotto dish that was stunning , but otherwise the restaurant was merely good to sometimes very nice. I had a beef main course at Cyan that was bland and forgettable and over salted. Breakfast is breakfast, and was sufficient but nothing social at the Seselwa restaurant buffet which services the north side. However service at breakfast was often a nightmare and erratic from person to person. There doesn't seem to be any attention to detail or understanding of what 5 star service is... Staying in a five star hotel I don't want to have to constantly come back to my table, buffet plate in hand, and have to remove the dirty plates myself, and then have to get out of my chair not once, not twice , but several times during the meal to find cutlery and root around in the cupboards as staff don't seem to notice or care that you need service. Some requests seem to be forgotten, and a general disinterested attitude is noticeable in many of the staff....the ex pat Indian, Sri Lankan etc staff seemed to give smiling considerate service which anticipated our needs and felt more like the 5 star service one expects and get at other locations such as Mauritius. There was wonderful service at times. Notably from Harry, and Larissa ? hope I have the name right, who was our Seychellois liaison staff member from the North side and a shining Seychellois diamond. I mentioned in passing to her that I was disappointed with service levels, and to the hotels credit we immediately were contacted by the Executive Assistant managers Frans and Seema who were genuinely concerned and wanted to know what the experiences we had that were substandard, and that were good. We noticed a rise in service levels after they spoke to us in some areas, but not by much.
The beach service was abominable bordering on non-existent. The hotel needs to adopt the flag-for-service system on the north beach, and all the beach staff seemed to do was loiter in the trees and speak on their cell phones to their friends, even at times when standing in front of a guest requesting service from them. No surprise no one seemed to order from the beach service menu. The beach beds are substandard and need maintenance or alteration...the straps keeping the mattresses from slipping off the beds were all broken or nonexistent which ensured you spent your day pulling the mattress up. Not five star quality in the one place you spend most of your day on a beach holiday.
The evening live musical entertainment was excruciatingly amateurish, bordering on embarrassing.....which would explain the lack of audience each and every night. If you are a five star hotel you cannot employ the local wedding singer and expect guests to support your offering or enjoy it. Each night had one or two tables sitting at the bar area with a very substandard band or group going throughout the motions to a virtually empty venue. Evenings felt a little boring to us, but not everyone may feel the same way.
So, all in all, a vacation of contrasts. The north beach is postcard gorgeous. The hotel and setting is beautiful and extremely relaxing, spotless, and our senior suite was large and attractive. The food is generally nice. The spa is fantastic, treatments are not cheap but the spa is incredible. A wonderful and completely under-utilized gym. Wonderfully Eco-sensitive grounds and policies. Management seems to be trying hard to raise standards, but some staff don't seem to realize that guests won't come back again no matter how beautiful your setting is if the service doesn't match. Unfortunately, judging from the surly service received in other venues on a day trip to the capital Victoria, lacklustre, disinterested service seems to be endemic to this region, and the hotel managers may have an uphill battle to match 5 star beach hotels in other countries. Perhaps the hotel should reconsider including staff gratuities automatically in all meal and drinks bills... Perhaps then the staff would provide the levels of service that one pays a gratuity for?
Do I regret the choice of Seychelles? A little, but it's definitely worth seeing. Would I go back to Constance Ephelia? Probably not......and therein, Mr Guitton, lies the rub!

Room Tip: Senior suite on the north side. Due to ecological considerations, this resort does not have beachsid...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Hayden M
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2014

.This hotel is huge, but not in the way most think. It occupies a promontory and covers about 260 hectares. All in ground and first floor rooms in blocks of eight within the truly sumptuous and beautiful grounds. There is a permanent electric cart service to ferry you around the enormous area.

The rooms (they call them suites) are really terrific. We had the basic Junior Suite which had everything (except a bidet). It had an entertainment centre - the TV had a huge selection of videos as well as some TV channels. It could also be used as a computer and every room had its own Wi-Fi. The bathroom was just lovely (could do with better light though).

The balcony was huge and magnificently furnished with a settee, armchair with footstool, coffee table and dining table with chairs.

There were a huge amount of amenities. You could use their kayaks (for free), they had a spa and a gym and squash and tennis courts. There was a dive centre and I think there were 5 different restaurants.
The management were so thoughtful. We had or wedding anniversary while there and they did the sweetest things - all unbidden. Unfortunately I came down with my usual ear infection (after swimming) and was amazed that the on-site doctor didn't charge - only for the very reasonable medication (ear drops). I had my ears syringed - all for no charge - that must be unique.
You had a choice of beaches all beautiful. In spite of the size the place was quiet, the bed very comfortable and you were never crowded.

Downsides? It seems churlish but for our taste the place was just too big and somewhat pretentious. If you have a heart condition - do not look at the wine list. We can by half a dozen bottles for what the charge for one. If you buy by the glass it isn't what I call a glass full - perhaps a third and that costs between £6 - £7 for a glass.

The whole place is quite evidently set out to appeal to Russian Oligarchs and Middle Eastern oil well owners - of which there seemed plenty. Sad to say you could have been anywhere - the flavour of a laid back Seychelles so evident on Praslin (Paradise Sun Hotel) was just not there. But it certainly was an experience

Room Tip: Unless you are hugely spoilt or very pretentious the basic junior suite should be more than enough...
Haarlem, The Netherlands
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Resort is beautifully set in en blend with nature. One can enjoy the quiet and yet offers many opportunities for water sport. The north beach of the resort offers excellent snorkel spots on the both end of the beach. Everything is extremely expansive in and on the resort. Services not met the quality of a 5 star resort. Some staffs are extremely attentive where others are not. The guy behind the snack bar "Cabana" on the north beach is very unfriendly! Coffee left from earlier guests were poured back in the same coffee container!!!!
Buffet dinner is pretty good, meat/fish tend to overcooked. Breakfast is daily good, though expect better quality compared to other 5 star resort I've been to.
All in all, enjoyed the stay in Ephelia resort.

Room Tip: There are small shops outside the resort, both north and south of the resort, sell cold drinks, wine...
2 Thank Daniel H.t. F
Pretoria
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed 7 nights in March 2014, and what a magnificent resort. Stayed in a junior suite(room 305) which in my opinion was one of the best located suites. Directly with sea view which meant you could sit on the balcony and have direct access to the view of the south beach. Rooms are 5* with every comfort. Was quiet and serviced very well at all the right times. Liked the idea of 2 complimentary bottles of self distilled sea water per day. Being on half board meant breakfast and dinner only, so your inbetween meals are expensive, but one compromises with a late breakfast and earlish supper and plenty of activities inbetween,which means that you dont have time to eat. I liked the idea of the big resort. Doesnt seem crowed. We active people so dont mind the walking, and we never had to wait for a shuttle...they always seemed to find us at the exact time we needed them. We also shopped for bottled water and our favourite Ale's at a little shop just outside of north beach or the Villa entrance to the resort. 3rd of the resort price. We ate at all the restuarants. Making a reservation with the very efficient and friendly lady at reception wasnt a hassle at all. The food was delicious and especially the 'Italian buffet' at Helios. Went back a few nights. We fly-fished at south beach and snorkled at north beach. We were mesmerized by the "fruit bats" and found them special. We also took walks to a smaller pvt beach which you find following the trail past the heli pad. Loved the giant tortoise's and enjoyed watching them eat. Also saw sea turtles and Eel whilst snorkeling. Did notice that the price of Pelligrino water was a different price from restuarant to restuarant, the Main one being the most expensive. Would suggest a "family only" restuarant or "family eating times" where families with small kids eat separate or earlier.Crying & nagging kids whilst trying to enjoy a romantic dinner is rather irritating. And this is after 9pm!!! The trip to the hotel from the airport is quick and easy and the receptin you receive at the resort on arrival is first class. Thank you Constance Ephelia for a wonderful holiday. Next holiday.....Constance Maldives

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Happy_camperPretoria
EpheliaResort, General Manager at Constance Ephelia, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for this detailed review of your stay at Constance Ephelia.We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us .We are glad to know that you would be choosing our sister property for your next holiday..Should you require any assistance our central reservations can be contacted at resaworld@constancehotels.com.
Best Regards,