“A place where you are not welcome” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Copolia Lodge
Ranked #8 of 49 Mahe Island B&B and Inns
Minsk, Belarus
“A place where you are not welcome”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

We are frequent travellers, visiting so many places all over the world, so I`d try to be fair.
Stayed in November 2013 mountain view room.
PROS:
- the place is really awsome - nice views, surrounding nature - just feeling of Seychelles.
- close to marverllose Copolia Trail - you just have to cross the road - you should certainly go there!
- Everything you need is in your room, nice furniture
- drinking water from the tap
- WI-FI connection in lobby is fast
- tasty and healthy food with good value for money
- very polite an helpful women working where.
if you dont mind the vicinity of beach - nice atmospheric place to stay for 2-3 nights.

LIMITATIONs
- not really close to nice beaches.
- dangerous road or you`ll have to take taxi for enormous money. We had to return to hotel till sunset, not to drive at night.
- nothing at all in nearest surroundings - no shops, no restaurants.
- In the morning you`ll be waken up with dogs barking, the sounds from the busy road - and as in our case with the roar of grass-cutter.
- dirty towels - they smelled!
We always felt we were disturbing the staff - not good parking place taken, not ordered food in time and so on.
We decided to move to the beach (just to see the sunset on the beach on our last day) and not to stay the third prepaid night, and not even claimed our money back, but the attitude towards us changed greatly an once! They switched-off the WI-FI in lobby (it worked without question 3 days before!) and then I asked - what happened? Coralie just answered - "I dont know..." and went out.
We were really lucky to move to the beach this day - we found a really nice pleasant place.
Вы все время будете привязаны к отелю - нельзя смотаться на пляж 2-3 раза и не устать, ночью водить вообще не рекомендую, даже опытные водители будут удивлены, насколько опасны там дороги. Делать вечером нечего. Вообще нечего. Постоянное ощущение, что ты кому-то мешаешь. Завтрак вкусный, но очень скудный.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Katerina M
Copolia, Gérant at Copolia Lodge, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear Katerina,
Thank you for your comment but I want to understand ... you say that the place is nice , well- equipped rooms , the water is unlimited , free wifi , the staff is polite and the food at a good value, on arrival we reopened the kitchen especially for you at 10.00pm , it helped you troubleshoot your car at night and you say " A place where you are not welcome " ???
In addition, you made ​​believe you are a travel agency to get a better price ...
You want to leave early because internet was not working due to a problem with the network operator , it was restored an hour later ...
For your information, we are 15 minutes from the beach of Beau Vallon and Port Launay .
Our taxi bill between 15 and 20 euros for the city and the nearest beaches... but we always advise our guests to rent a car (40 euros / day)
We are delighted for you that you find another charming place... Best regards.Coralie & William

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

My husband and I stayed at this property in Sept of this year. Upon arrival, all seemed OK - we were able to check-in to our room early, the property looked good and our room was clean and spacious. Moving on to the negatives:

We needed to checkout at 7.30am the following day to catch a ferry and were advised that there was no way we could possibly have breakfast at this time. Irritating, but I guess fair enough, if breakfast starts at 8, then it starts at 8 (albeit I'm sure lots of other properties in this price bracket, and of this small size, would have accommodated the request). We were offered sandwiches (!) in our room instead.

Our stay at Copolia was our first night in the Seychelles after a long-haul flight (and not a lot of sleep) and we told the property owner that we would not be eating dinner at the property as this was to start at 8pm and we fully expected to be in bed not long after that. After popping out for a local meal, we were indeed fast asleep by approx 9.30pm. At 10pm I awoke to persistent knocking on our bedroom door...the owner effectively demanded that I had to leave the room and come downstairs to settle our bill as no member of staff would be around in the morning to do so!!! Never in my hundreds of hotel stays have I EVER come across anything quite like it. To top things off, when we left the property the next morning, we said hi to at least 2 other members of staff - why on earth they couldn't take our payment (or provide a cup of coffee at breakfast) is beyond me. Had we been getting up at 5am I would have had a little bit more tolerance, but 7.30 is not exactly the crack of dawn (to most hoteliers at least).

A couple of other comments - the photos of the pool and views on the hotel website are VERY misleading. The pool is tiny and the image of the 'view' towards the ocean is certainly not a realistic picture of what you can see from the hotel (unless you lie on the ground to look at the view). It happens to 'miss' the buildings, wind turbines, road etc. I wish I'd taken some pictures to post on TA.

Additionally the road that the property is on is fine in the daytime, and OK in a decent car. But we, as many people do in the Seychelles, hired a fairly basic car and it struggled to get up the hills. This, coupled with the number of people walking along the roads in the dark at night, and the sheer distance of the property from anywhere, made it a fairly unpleasant drive back. If you stay here my suggestion would be to eat at the property.

Overall the rooms are OK (certainly nothing special for the price) and the service is nothing short of appalling.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BecRLondon
Copolia, General Manager at Copolia Lodge, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
We have read your review and are sorry about your comments because they indeed call for rectification.
Had you taken into account the explanations given to you on arrival, you would have seen that coffee, tea and spring water are available freely in your room, that if you were to take the ferry, it had to be the 7.30 am ferry. You could not have catched it leaving at 7.30 am. You had to leave Copolia Lodge no later than 6.30 am. In such cases, we prepare a breakfast with sandwiches of your choice and fruit, served in your room.
You did not want to stay for dinner at the lodge, on the grounds that we serve at 8.00pm and that it was too late for you, but dinner is always served at 7.00pm.
A staff member went to knock at your door, as soon as you left the restaurant, to ask for the bill to be paid the day before your departure. You opened the door immediately, still dressed up.
The bill was paid at exactly 9.28pm (as shown on credit card ticket) and not after 10.00pm
as you claim.
Regarding the photos, they are the reality of the place (see photos and comments of clients on Tripadvisor) and for your information, the pool is approx. 10m long and 3.50m wide.
We are not responsible for the renting of your "basic" car because you did not want to book through us... and we like to remind that we are located just 15 mn from Victoria and beaches.
We hope to have clarified the situation and regret having to justify on such statements.
Regards. Coralie & William
Basel, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

The place is beautifully located in the mountains. A bit off
Victoria (about 15min to get there by taxi) but very quiet and we
loved it. You have a fantastic view over Victoria and Eden Island with
a sea view room which is worth the money. There are really good hikes
(also for none-sporty people like me) around the hotel. Dinner was
nice and breakfast was delicious. Coralie, who runs the place, is
just amazing. We bought some of her yi king products and they are
great; refreshing and good for sunburn, too.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Copolia, General Manager at Copolia Lodge, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
Dear Silvia,
We are very pleased you enjoyed your recent stay and experience with us at Copolia Lodge.
I have been very sensitive to your remark about me and glad you appreciate our range of organic cosmetic Care Yi*King made Seychelles.
We hope to see you soon again. Sunny regards.Coralie & William
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

The design is amazing, the view is great, the people are nice.
The majority of the customers are french.
Don't try to find the place by driving a car or local people advises on the street, its impossible, just take a taxi to "San Suzie St" and drive up the street for 10 minutes.
The water in the shower is sometimes cold.
Dinner must be pre-ordered and cannot be changed/chosen at night.
Distance from the city and beaches is quite far, taking a taxi anywhere is very expensive (40$+...)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
We thank you for your nice comment and your recent stay at Copolia Lodge.
Your comments are noted and taken seriously, especially the lack of hot water in your room, which we will do the necessary to rectify as a matter of urgency.
We advise you had to rent a car to be more independent and avoid paying for a taxi because we are located at 15 minutes from the beaches and Victoria...
We offer the opportunity to dine at the lodge while taking into account the tastes and allergies of our guests.
We look forward to welcome you back at Copolia Lodge. Kind regards. Coralie & William
Rome
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

After reviewing the Kempinski back in February, I did not expected to be back in the Seychelles so early, but a business trip took care of that and I was so lucky to be booked in the Copolia Lodge.
While staying at the Copolia you enjoy a completely different perspective of Mahe', one that you would not imagine if you were to remain around the island's beautiful beaches.
The hotel is in fact built on the slopes of the hills, very close to the Morne Seychellois, at an altitude of approximately 300-400 mt. From that position, you enjoy both a commanding view of most of the Northeaster part of the island and a very specific micro-climate that is very different from the sea level. While in fact I was somewhat suffering from the early afternoon heat while in the office, as soon as I got back I felt the need to wear heavier clothes and, during the night, I had to use the duvet to keep warm.
The hotel itself is a beautiful lodge of five rooms plus a family room and, although it initially appears to be sparsely furnished when you enter the spacious lobby/common space, one will soon realise that it is, in effect, very tastefully decorated. The room itself was very simple in appearance, almost to the point of being Spartan, but the point is that in the Copolia you are only pampered when it really matters, which is for breakfast and dinner (and lunch I suppose): during the rest of the day, if you do not wish to go to the beach, you are free to lay back and relax, which you can do by simply enjoying the fantastic sights. The staff is fantastic: competent, smiling, friendly and positive in a way that is only possible in a small structure, whenever they are around they try to make you feel welcomed and at home.
I had dinner at the Copolia on three nights out of five and found the food to be really good, with lower prices than other hotel structures I explored during my two trips in 2013. Be advised, there is only one option, but I never had any reason to complain.
There are really no cons worth mentioning but a few features that might affect other people's preferences:
- The Copolia is in the middle of nowhere and it takes 15-20 minutes by car to reach the coastal road. This means that if you do not have a mean of transportation every trip to the Capital (or the closest beaches) might cost you around 400+ rupees. Plus, there are really no options to the hotel restaurant within walking distance;
- There is no TV in the room and I personally did not miss it, but other travellers on business trips might have different opinions. It is true however that after dinner and when the reception closes at around 9/10 PM there is little else to do but sleep, if you are travelling alone;
- Internet was OK and free, but in my room at the end of the corridor the connection was almost non-existent. Again, I did not use it very much so this was not an issue for me, but I am sure others might beg to differ.
So, how does this hotel compare to the Kempinski, which I awarded five stars back in February? It does not, because they are very different but equally excellent establishments, well worth of my praise and your consideration when planning a holiday to the Seychelles. Allow me to conclude by expressing my sincere thanks to Willem and Coralie for the way they run such a beautiful and friendly little hotel, with my personal promise of coming back as soon as feasible.

Room Tip: Close to the lobby if Internet connection is an issue
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank gersenkirth
Copolia, Gérant at Copolia Lodge, responded to this review, 15 September 2013
Dear Guest,
We thank you for your message and for the time taken to write your review online and we were delighted to read your very positive review about Copolia Lodge.
We have been very pleased to welcome you and to have contributed to make your stay pleasant.

We inform you that we have some rooms equipped with satellite television.We look forward to welcome you back at Copolia Lodge. Sunny regards. Coralie & William
Manama, Bahrain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013

The lodge is perched high on the hill overlooking Victoria. This means the views are lovely, and it is surrounded by 'jungle'. It also means it is a bit of a drive to get anywhere, such as the beaches- about 15mins to get down the hill, and anywhere from another 15 mins to an hour to the beaches. I would recommend a hire car (we had one courtesy of the deal offered by the lodge)....I don't see how you could get by without one. The road up the hill is quite steep, narrow, and unlit and may prove daunting if you are unused to that sort of thing. The fact that you are not 'beachfront' is reflected in the price.
The lodge itself is beautiful. The hosts are warm and accommodating. The staff are nice, flexible, and go the 'extra mile' to help make your stay memorable. The meals offered at the lodge turned out to be a real treat- they ended up being the best value and quality that we encountered for our entire stay in the Seychelles.
I would not hesitate to recommend this lodge, and I didn't post any photos because it is exactly as advertised.

Room Tip: You probably should have a car to stay here. The sea view rooms are worth the little extra.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Copolia, Gérant at Copolia Lodge, responded to this review, 15 September 2013
Dear Paul,
Thank you for taking the time to provide positive feedback about your stay at Copolia Lodge.
It was a pleasure to welcome you and to have contributed to make your stay more pleasant. We strive to make every effort to bring the little "extra" to each of our guests and we are very happy that you have enjoyed... We look forward to welcoming you back to Copolia.
Sunny regards. Coralie & William
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2013

From the mountain top view of Ste Anne, Cerf Island, Long Island, Round Island, Eden Island and all the other inner islands from Praslin to La Digue, Sisters, Felicite, Marriane, to be welcomed by "Rose-May" with a nice chilled scented towel and iced lemon grass tea, we knew we would be in good hands for the 2 nghts stay!

We checked in without checking in...yes we did not have to register, get keys, credit card imprints etc...it was like arriving at home and home it was!

We had the place to ourselves, not because it was not busy but the other guests must have been out for the day...our Apartment was waiting for us with some lovely touches from the Yi-King line of spa and amenity products to the tastefully appointed bedding, nice sunken in bath and some flowers cut fresh from the garden. We wanted to only stay up there and enjoy the pool, a nice bottle of wine from a well selected list of fine wines although affordable to the 4pm afternoon tea homemade bakeries...we opted for a quick snooze and test the fantastic beds...nice and high, outfitted with a topper mattress making it almost heavenly....it was Copolia-ly!!! a 27" TV/DVD with a great selection of DVD's in varied languages for ones use. Cable TV is on its way. This apartment is perfect beacause it's large, has a great view, is fully equipped with a kitchen and all the nick nacks one needs and peace and quiet. Cold spring water in the fridge in a glass bottle...how cool! There is a separate shower and bathtub, private toilet and once again the amenities from YI-KING, made by Coralie and Willem who trade in the spa world all the while keeping a full agenda at work.

Breakfast is nicely set up in front of the pool with this breath taking view again...home made jams, breads (brown and white), smoked fish, different juices daily, fresh sliced tropical fruits, nice coffee in a thermos to keep it hot and some nice home made yougurts...Healthy is all around the lodge as the offering is there, for a tailor made dinner from a BBQ or if a four course dinner...

We did not try the spa or yoga classes on Saturday but on demand one can enjoy the treatments on offer. For a small sized lodge, it's impressive to have this spa element, really ZENs things up. We did check out the boutique filled with YI-KING products and chose some to take home (not free guys, don't get excited), all made in Seychelles and that's was very cool!

Although we were on Mahe, when at Copolia, we did not think we were surrounded by anyone...only quiet homes, a lovely trail (which we didn't take up so that means we'll return) and some fresh air and about 2C lesser than in town...at night was a bit chilly, but no need for AC or blankets, just a light scarf or sweater...It was a most relaxing stay, reviving few days and promise we'll be back! We strongly recommend it!

Thank you to Coralie and Willem, and Rose-May of course, keep up the good work!

Room Tip: mountain view are the best, ocean view rooms are also nice and the apartment is delicious!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family