“A bit disapointing”

The Wharf Hotel & Marina
Ranked #34 of 35 Hotels in Mahe Island
Reviewed 24 November 2007

We only stayed one night at the Wharf but for the price we paid (232 euros) we were a bit disappointed.
The receptionist was quite cold and didn't engage in friendy chat at all. When she showed us to our room there was an obvious problem with the lock but she made no attempt to get it fixed. There was no lift and no offer of help with our cases up to the first floor.
The room was big and well decorated but it lacked the finishing touches i.e no safe in room, no information pack, no hairdryer, no minbar, Coffe and tea, but no milk !
Bathroom had a nice big shower but no bath.
Breakfast in the restaurant downstairs was frankly poor with litlle choice, poor quality, and unfriendly staff.
We had a snack from the bar and ate it in garden overlooking the marina which was nice, and the girl who served us was polite.
With some effort from the Management this could be a nice hotel but when we were there the place felt souless.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank wownorthants

Reviewed 26 October 2007

We stayed here for one night before flying over to Praslin the following morning. As we arrived late (even later than we should have been after a minibus driver took us on a quite unnecessary detour around the island - otherwise it is extremely convenient for the airport) and left early we didn't really get to see anything other than our room and breakfast.

There were no problems with check in or check out and the staff were helpful. The room was lovely, beyond the quality we needed for such a brief stay. All amenities were there, very well decorated, nice bed and with a huge and powerful shower. Our only issue was the noise - we were woken up fairly early by noise from elsewhere in the hotel, I presume staff given the time or day. Noise travels very easily I think because there was no carpet in the corridors and everything is very open. Not a big issue when you are only there one night but not ideal.

Breakfast was fine, not a great choice but more than adequate. The restaurant has nice views over the hotel swimming pool and the harbour. In summary it was perfectly suitable for a stopover and given the location I think it would make a good base for exploring the island. Definitely not suitable for a sit by the pool/beach holiday though.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank miss_tilney
Reviewed 28 September 2007

We stayed at the Wharf Hotel & Marina for 2 nights, once before and once after our 2 days on Praslin. This hotel is wonderful.
The first thing we found is that the staff is incredible! We checked in with Selwyn, who was our go to guy and very friendly and helpful. It was only about 11am, but our room was ready, and very, very nice.
The beds at the Wharf are amazing, even more comfortable than my mattress at home! The bed linens are all white, and sparkling clean. The bathroom is very modern, and there is more than ample room in the glass shower for 2!! The only thing we found is that the toilet was only separated by a bamboo roll-up blind. No problem, just a little different.
The entire hotel is sparkling clean, and the lady that appeared to be in charge of the housecleaning was so friendly, we thought she was like a friends' mom who hasn't seen you in a long time! Very cute!
The food at the restaurant was wonderful, mostly Creole, but a wide selection. Everything we had was great. One night we ordered dinner up to our room, sat on our balcony (get a poolview room) and enjoyed the live music from downstairs, some wine, and some good company! Breakfasts are great and cater to all types of breakfast eaters.
The pool is quite nice too, and always clean. They said it's open until 6:30pm, but they aren't at all strict about it. One night we were in it until about 7:30 or so, and looked out and saw people in it around 10.
It's too bad that people use this place as a stopover, rather than an actual hotel for the duration of their stay. True, there's no beach, but the island is so small that everything is closeby.
ALSO, when we were there, there were 5 Navy ships in port, and we didn't see a single sailor at the hotel, bar or restaurant! I've read a number of complaints about rowdy Marines.
When in town, pick something up from the Pirate Arms takeaway (behind the main restaurant). We got 2 meals for 46 rupees, and I think it was the best meal we had our entire stay!

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank fierykitty
Reviewed 15 May 2007

We booked this hotel because it is RIGHT on the wharf where we were leaving our charter boat. Prior to our charter we'd already stayed on Mahe for nearly a week, and so basically we just wanted a convenient place to spend a nice day once off the boat and before our flight out the next day.

I was reluctant at first when we were planning our trip----this place is quite expensive! But my husband pointed out that any place else was going to cost us a lot of money just in taxi cabs, so The Wharf is what I booked. It was worth every euro.

Sunsail required us to leave the boat at 9:00, and while I am sure this doesn't happen every time, The Wharf was absolutely accommodating and allowed us into our room by 10:30, which in itself was worth its weight in gold. The room was absolutely GORGEOUS------very large, comfortable, and with what is perhaps the nicest hotel bathroom I have ever seen in this price range. We had a beautiful view over the yacht basin.

We did eat dinner in the restaurant, and had a lovely dinner. Neither of us was very hungry, so I had a vegetarian meal and my husband had a local fish (i.e., just one course each) though we did have a bottle of wine off their good, reasonably priced wine list. This light dinner came to about U.S. $70.

The usual breakfast waas included. It was typically European---fine, not remarkable.

The pool was fabulous. There is excellent service there, by which I mean not only bar service (if one wants) but also a maid who is taking care that towels aren't just left on the lounges, etc.

As long as the price doesn't break the bank (and I will admit to not knowing exactly how much they charge----we were on a six week holiday and not particularly worrying about prices) I would unconditionally recommend this hotel. The room was just beautiful------the bed INCREDIBLY comfortable, with it's several pillows and puffy quilt; the teevee with its many international cable stations; the coffee/bar area with truly nice glassware; the spacious balcony overlooking the harbour; and of course that beautiful bathroom.

This is a small hotel; and there are a couple of inconveniences associated with this------for example, the front desk is not staffed continually. But this is truly the smallest of inconveniences, as the front desk staff is just as pleasant, personable, and helpful as one could ever desire. These are truly nice people.

Stayed: May 2007
2  Thank cessnapilot
Reviewed 4 August 2006

We stayed at the Wharf Hotel on arrival from our flight prior to boarding the Sea Star for a 7 day cruise and again for a couple of days prior to our return home after a week at Sainte Anne. I think like a lot of people we used the Wharf as a stopover hotel but with hindsight this does the hotel an injustice - we were so pleasantly surprised by the standards at the hotel and the staff were really helpful and friendly.

We thought the rooms in particular were lovely for what is advertised as a 3 star standard hotel - I would say nearer 4 to be honest. Spacious rooms with good sized balconies - the sea facing ones are particularly nice - excellent bathrooms and lovely bed linen. The pool is great to relax in after a flight and is an infinity style overlooking the little marina. True, there is no beach, but this hotel is not really meant for that sort of holiday I think.

The marina looks great - it was really nice relaxing at the hotel and seeing the boats and their well heeled guests mooring up and coming to eat/relax at the hotel. It felt like a really nice relaxed sailing "stop off" which peole obviously enjoyed visiting.

The restaurant as well far surpassed what we had expected and the waiting staff were charming.

All in all a great little hotel - well done the Wharf !

• Stayed: May 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Lou-Lou1
Reviewed 21 October 2005

We had a one night stop at The Wharf Hotel & Marina and were very pleasantly surprised. The hallways are wide and elegant and the hotel has a nautical theme. The rooms are very large with extra large bathrooms with separate tub and shower and peekaboo windows into the room. The bed was large, there was a lot of storage space, minibar, tv, safe, and a balcony. The front desk reception was very nice and helpful. Dinner was served outside by the water (got my only Seychelles mosquito bite) which was beautiful in the moonlight and the food was very good, albeit expensive. The cold breakfast buffet hardly had any selection and we didn't have time to wait for hot food. This hotel is a great place to spend a night in transit between the islands, it is very near the airport. Although it is nice enough for a longer stay, I don't think I would choose it for that only because it has no beach.

• Stayed: September 2005
4  Thank cagirl
Reviewed 17 April 2005

We have just returned from our holiday island-hopping in the seychelles. We spent 2 very comfortable nights at the Wharf Hotel & Marina. Its a relatively new hotel, in operation for the 2 years now.

The rooms are clean, comfortable, adequate and elegantly decorated. It has 7 mountain-view rooms & 8 marina-view rooms. Make sure that you stipulate what type of room you would like. It gets allocated on a first-come-first-serve basis. Even though I emailed the hotel directly about my request for a marina-view room, I was disappointed. Because the hotel is so small, this makes for a tranquil environment. Hotel staff are friendly & accomodating.

The hotel is just a 10-minute drive from the airport. So whether you coming or going from the airport or the inter-island quay (ferry), its quicker & more cost-effective to take a taxi. I tried organising couch transfers with one of the island's DMC's. They quoted me a whopping EUR 190.00 for 2 persons. This was a discounted price. After making further enquiries, we opted for the taxi ride which only cost EUR 10. At the same time, Victoria is a 15 minute ride away which makes its location very convenient.

Although there is no beach close by, for which the seychelles is renowned, ask reception about going out to Cerf Island. Apparently, its a free boat ride out.

The restaurant's food is quite good. There are not many places which serves good international cuisine, if you dont opt for creole food every every night, even in Victoria. I was extremely happy with my choice of hotel. I did alot of research about other hotels on the island. None of them were as competively priced as the Wharf hotel. We got a very good rate of $265 per night room only. Breakfast is an extra $30. I sourced this rate from the internet. Rates directly from hotels are much higher. They call these "public rates". So its advisable to make your bookings through an agent of some sort.

Happy holidays & I hope your stay is as great as ours.

12  Thank l-thomas