“Very good value for money”

Jamelah Beach Guest House
Ranked #20 of 49 Mahe Island B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed in this place for a few days back in May 2011 and we enjoyed it. The full-scale kitchen was very handy and let us cook home and save money. The room itself was very good and spacious, nothing to complain at all. Few times we had issues with water supply, but it didn't really ruin our holiday. The hotel is situated on the eastern side of the island, so winds there were very strong sometimes and we could see (and smell) lots of seaweed after storms, so we went swimming to the western beaches.

Room Tip: If you need a good WiFi coverage, choose the room closer to the reception. We lived in 50m from it a...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We have stayed for 10 days in Jamelah Guest House for a Honeymoon. These were 10 days living in PARADISE. We have had an excellent apartment N3 on the ground floor and few steps from the ocean with a stunning direct view on the bay and ideal location from all sights of Mahe. The apartment consists of a spacious bedroom with a big double bed combined with a sitting area with a comfortable sofa and an extra bed; the kitchen is fully equipped with all required kitchen stuff (fridge, microwave, gas stove, accessories to tea/coffee and other culinary utensils); there is a fan, air conditioner and a safe box in the apartment; the bathroom is huge and clean; also there is a balcony or some like a lounge area with a table and 2 chairs. The apartment has been cleaned every day by attentive staff. Breakfast is continental and it’s quite enough and the coffee is delicious. Wi-fi works at the reception. The area of the Jamelah Guesthouse is calm and peaceful just right for the ideal honeymoon which we have had. The guesthouse has an individual beach, and the beach is huge and clean. The low tide in the morning is not a problem at all as Jamelah is only 40 minutes drive by bus to Beau Vallon beach (connecting in Viktoria). And the bus stop and as a small shop is right behind the main building across the road. Jamelah guesthouse is a real value of money. We are very much grateful to Flora and Michele for their friendliness and kindness and for making us feel like at home. And many many thanks for you for our unforgettable holiday. We will return for sure! Photos will be followed.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alexey_MOW
Reviewed 12 May 2014

My girlfriend and I decided to spent one weekend at the Guest House and it was OK. The staff were very welcoming and friendly.
Before we booked for a room that doesn't have any Kitchen facilities. But then we decided to change and agreed to pay for a room that have Kitchen facilities as we wanted to cook our own food.
It has it's own beach, very nice tortoises, friendly dog, a shop next by and the surroundings are very nice

Room Tip: Nice place!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bertrand A
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

We loved the place, as it was basically on a clean beach! We were having a swim when we wanted :)
We also liked turtoises, my wife felt in love with them and was feeding them with fruits a lot :)
By the way, breakfast was so so...

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mindaugas M
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Nice, clean rooms, good location. Very frendly and helpfull owner and staff. Airport is less than 10 min. by car. Bus stop and a small shop is front of the house. Value for money. Credit cards accepted.
The only negatives: weak wifi signal, sometimes stop the internet. Breakfast is minimal. Coffe or tea, some fruit, toast and butter only.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Blende
Reviewed 20 December 2013

I was in transit for 1 night in Seychelles and found this bug house rate 8 on booking.com and read reviews which to me seem fake as I have 1st hand experience. I stayed there and was ensured there was wifi and tv and because I was in transit needed something close to the Airport yet not to badly priced. @ 95 Euros for the room I expected at least a room with a TV that WORKS and WIFI as per their misleading write-up on bookings.com NON of this was available and the Wifi was disabled by the host (owner of the lodging) for no reason and when asked I was told Wifi is only available in communal areas. Then we get to the room and theres a TV that doesnt work AGAIN an excuse from Flory sorry sir its because of the weather. This is PATHETIC to put it mildly. we had to catch an early morning flight so needed to sleep relatively early and to my surprise the apartment upstairs had their TV on as loud as you can imaging and all I heard all night was the shifting of chairs and tables, I was travelling wioth my two children only aged 6 and 8 and the fact that they had to stay up all night was made even worst because they had no TV to keep them occupied and irritated me because I was told it was Rated a 2 Star lodging, it's either the people doing the rating visited a different property or were paid to even rate this bug house infested with ants. Upon checking in I asked the women at reception about laundry she didn't understand what I was talking about when asked about Wifi I was given a password and as soon as the property owner came in it was disabled. I am highly upset at the lack of integrity shown, If you tell me there is wi-fi lt there be wi-fi, Say TV have a TV that WORKS just like the upstairs noisy neighbours works dont BS me and say it's not working because of the weather. I highly advise anyone traveling to Mahe In Seychelles to find alternative accommodation. Zubair Patel

Room Tip: No room is a good room the views maybe spectecular from 2meters away from the shore line but thats a...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Zubzie121
FloryLarue, Manager at Jamelah Beach Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Dear Mr Patel,
I think that your comment is unfounded and derogatory. Maybe you are not aware of the way booking.com functions, so I will take the time to explain. Reviews on Booking.com can only be left by clients who has STAYED at our accommodation. Unless I am in the business of taking money from clients for accommodation then refunding it to get good ratings on their site as per your explanation rather than merit it.
As you so kindly stated you were at our accommodation for only one night, arriving fairly late and leaving early in the morning which gave you very little time to gain any experience from our establishment.
Internet is always available in the common area and if ever the router trips, clients bring it to my attention and it is reset. This does not happen very often and would be the only reason for not having internet available rather than me cutting it off purposefully. To further bring to your attention that internet services charges are usually high in Seychelles and most small establishments do not provide this service for free so it is an advantage for most of our clients. For those who have traveled to other establishments here they know that this is usually a paying service. You may also wish to go back to your confirmation email from booking.com and you will find that it is clearly written that the internet is only available from the common area and not in the room.
The television service we have comprises of all available TV channels including, movies, sports and news channels, which total well over 30 channels. The company we get service from, Intelvision Seychelles, is very regularly interrupted when there is bad weather, which is the case for December and January. This is a true comment that I have used in the past and unless the service from the provider changes it is beyond my control. For your information dear sir there is no other network services available in Seychelles. Again I would like to bring to your attention that this same service is not available in most establishments of our range. Maybe the client upstairs had their own speakers and used their laptop for entertaining themselves. However I find it hard to believe that with all your windows closed and your air conditioning running you could hear the television from another apartment, even if I put on all the TV’s in all the apartments on full sound they cannot be heard from other apartments with all doors shut. I spent about half an hour with you trying to rectify the television and rebooted the card and there was still no service available. In the same context I offered you animated movies in English for children, as I also have a 3 and 7 year old on a memory stick and you declined. Your TV worked but we were just not receiving the signal. The television was not broken and would have played animated movies. I am happy to advise you that the clients who checked into the apartments the next day had television services which worked.
You must also appreciate that being a small complex with only four apartments you would not find a laundry to be available to do your laundry so late on your day of arrival and have it ready for your 6 am departure the next day, at least have an expectation in line with the lodging you decided to choose. We have a laundry that functions during the day but once the staffs leaves for the day the laundry service would only be available the next day.
And last but not least I would like to bring to your attention that Seychelles is a hot country and we have insects in our environment. Our rooms are cleaned every day to a very high standard, from the cleanliness of the bathrooms to the quality of our linen. You may also take the time to check that insects have been found in five star establishment right here on Trip Advisor. These are high end accommodations and as far as I know Ste Anne Resort has an insect killer spray available for clients in the wardrobe of their room in case they find insects in their room. So it does happen that insects are found but I would not say we are infested by ants.
You go on further to accuse me of sustaining ratings on these sites by paying for the service through bribes or fraud. It seems from your comments that every single rating I have got which are significantly different from yours comes from acts of bribery on my part to every single client who has stayed here.
I am sorry you were so upset with your stay here in Seychelles but to grade Jamelah as a bug house and addressing our grading on booking.com as false is simply untrue. We are a small budget establishment who offers clients coming to Seychelles a competitive price and value for money.
Flory

Reviewed 23 July 2013

Dear Flory,

Thank you for your hospitality and kindness during our stay at Jamelah... We had a wonderful time in your lovely beach front apartment. The views were calming- the experience was beautiful ,beyond words. You made us feel like family the entire time we were there. We look forward to seeing you again and I am sure we will.

Andrea&Nez