“The real difference is the atmosphere.”

Sushi Tei Restaurant
Ranked #21 of 696 Restaurants in Albany
Price range: US$2 - US$25
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Sushi Tei is a traditional Japanese restaurant located in Albany, NY. We feature fresh, healthy Japanese food (dine-in or take-out). Wine, sake and various imported beers are also available for your refreshment. Sushi is a small piece of raw fish or shellfish on a bed of vinegared rice. This can be eaten as is, or is often dipped into soy sauce and then eaten. Sushi is based on the belief that nature cannot be improved, and is usually very simple. Therefore, great care is put into the creation, arrangement and the many methods of preparing the food. The finished appearance is also very important because the natural beauty and taste must not be lost, but enhanced!
Reviewed 12 December 2013

It would take a real expert to differentiate food from the many Japanese restaurants in the capital District, particularly if one times on rolls rather than sushi or sashimi. Since the food in many of these restaurants tends to be basically the same, the real differentiator comes on service and atmosphere.

Sushi Tei does well on both of those factors. On a recent lunch
visit they had a special with miso soup and two rolls. The service was friendly and attentive but not oppressive. My request for a larger bowl of soup was met given my willingness to pay the up charge. The two rolls were fresh, and extra ginger was provided quickly.

Despite several prior visits to this restaurant I never really noticed the atmosphere. It was calm, the restaurant is
decorated in subtle Earth tones,
And in general is programmed to provide a relaxing experience very different from some other competitors in the area. For the non-novices in Japanese food, I should mention the menu is comprehensive.

The sushi restaurant lunch special has become one of my favorite options for that meal.

Sushi Tei is welcoming and relaxing and I will be back.

1  Thank Rhapsodyinblue

Reviewed 28 November 2013

Been meaning to try this spot, which is tucked away in the side of a local strip mall. It's worth the hunt. Often seems almost too small for the crowds, but the occasional bump of elbows with other diners is not an inconvenience. The food is great. We are especially fond of the udon dishes and sushi, and they have a surprisingly large menu for such a little space and kitchen.

Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

Came in for dinner and ordered a few signature rolls and rock shrimp app.

The rock shrimp were more chewy than crispy which took away from the taste. The signature rolls were of a good size but lacked in overall flavor, the spicy tuna lacked much in actual spice.

Service was great, very attentive and food came out promptly even though they were pretty busy at the time of our visit.

Overall I wouldn't go out of my way to go back but if in the area I would give them another try.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

Our family of five adults and three children went to dinner at Sushi Tei, They have a variety of sushi rolls (just like California!!!) and among the orders, we had a taste of each type we ordered (Calif roll, spider roll, etc...) Everyone was happy with their order.
I have to make mention that it was daughter's birthday so I brought a cake with me. The staff was very accommodating and took the cake quietly in the kitchen and surprised her during dessert time! They even dimmed the light and all sang HB song!!! :)
Additionally, I asked for a glass of wine....but after tasting it, I know it was "old" and probably opened a while back. After calling the attention of staff, she replaced it with a new one and that made me very happy!! Kudos to the staff!!!

Reviewed 3 September 2013

While visiting Albany on business, I looked on here for recommended restaurants and this place did not disappoint! The miso soup was delicious and not over-priced. I enjoyed the Mexican Roll and Mango roll. Both were very delicious and I only wish I did not live so far away. I will definitely be visiting here on my next business trip.
As for the atmosphere, the place is intimate with about 15 tables and a few seats at the sushi bar. It was quiet on a Tuesday night but I would expect a wait during the weekends. Trust me, the food would be worth the wait!